PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Opening Business

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

exoticlove

Opening Business

Postby exoticlove » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:30 pm

I would like to get into the exotic animal business. I'm just not sure how to go about it or where to find actually usable information on this type of business that doesn't involve statements about how horrible of a person I must be for thinking this is a good business to go into.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thank You!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Opening Business

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:41 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forum. :) Glad to have another person interested in exotics!

Questions to ask yourself:

What experience have you had with exotics? Species you've worked with? Are you interested in reptiles, mammals, or birds? Are you wanting to breed, broker, or exhibit? Do you want to operate out of your home, travel, or have a store?

Depending on the answers to these questions, the first step most likely will be to become USDA licensed.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
exoticlove

Postby exoticlove » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:08 am

I'm interested in mammals and birds mostly. I have lots of experience working with regular animals - dogs, cats, horses, cattle, I grew up and live on a ranch. But I've also gotten interested in and started raising fowl - geese and guinea. We had a few ducks but unfortunately they fed the mountain lion(s) that roam around here, or possibly the bob cats. I've been able to find a lot of information on the more legal side of the game. I've also spent time working for the local Game Fish and Parks - so I guess in that area I have some experience in working with exotic animals - raccoon, birds of prey, deer, ect. I will definitely look into the USDA licensing.
I've been taking a small business class along with my environmental science classes since I would like to be a business woman hopefully someday soon. And I get stuck in the research part of the business and I'm falling behind in class now. So I figured it was high time I reached out and asked the people already in this business how it is they got started.
What I want...well in all honesty I'm not even sure I know what I want anymore. I want to have something along the lines of a sanctuary or a zoo. But I also want to be able to breed, and I read someplace that sanctuaries cannot breed their animals. I would also like to be a rescue. Really any information, or guidance, support anything at this point in time would be helpful. Simply ideas would even be helpful. I'm starting to think even a slap across the face could be helpful. I'm joking but only slightly.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:01 am

lol, No, you're asking the right questions. ;) It's always good to look around and ask.

One thing I'd suggest before leaping into a business, is maybe own some of the animals you're interested in as pets. Keep them, interact with them, get to know them. And then decide for sure if they're the types of animals you want to work with.

True sanctuaries are non-profit. I personally would not want to be a sanctuary ever... But you could be a zoo that takes abused or surrendered animals, and if you were a zoo, you could still breed and profit from the venture (which I'm assuming you'd want to do, lol).

To be a zoo, you need the USDA class C exhibitor's permit before you start exhibiting any animals. Also insurance--home owners, liability, etc.

If you were big enough, you can also look into becoming an "accredited zoo," but honestly that's just a fancy piece of paper from a private club. Not really anything except abiding by the club's rules. If you want to be accredited, get credited through ZAA because they actually support private owners and the exotic industry. AZA is pretty much out to gain a monopoly and fights against private ownership as much as they can.

You will have to look into your state, county, and local ordinances to see what needs to be done regarding starting up a business in your area. Each state is different with what it requires, and you may be restricted on a local level what you are allowed to do.

For MY area, I just need a "business license," which is a small yearly fee and a nice little piece of paper. But I'm living out in the country where there isn't much in regards to "businesses" anyway, so less paperwork on it for me.

If you're starting your business from your home, make sure to always keep a close eye on your income so that you can pay the appropriate amount of taxes at the end of the year.

Other than gaining more experience and knowledge of the animals you want, looking at your local laws would help give you an idea of what you would actually need.

Now, I don't know if you imagine hiring other people to work for you, but what you need for that, I have no clue... I always imagine for me doing it all myself with the occasional volunteers or interns if I need help.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
exoticlove

Postby exoticlove » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:56 am

I've come to the part in my business class now that I have to figure out the money part of opening an exotic pet business. But for the life of me I can't find any usable information on the net about the money ins and outs of this business. I really appreciate the help!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:49 pm

Cost of food, employees, land, buildings, animals, vet, uniforms(maybe), licenses and permits, gas, vehicle(s) and their up keep, materials and labor to build enclosures for exhibit and off exhibit, landscaping, walkways railings and other safety features.

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”