PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Fox breeders in Ohio?

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

KaitouCat

Fox breeders in Ohio?

Postby KaitouCat » Sun May 17, 2015 8:08 pm

I was curious as to if there were any other reputable breeders of foxes in Ohio besides Hillview Exotics and Wess Exotic Animals. I'm namely looking for marbled fox kits but may consider other options. I know there's others close to Ohio such as Tiny Tracks in Indiana but due to requiring an import permit as well as a permit to own them, I was hoping to find a kit in Ohio.

Also has anyone obtained a kit from either of these two dealers that could tell their experience and whether or not they'd recommend them? Oh and if another breeder is suggested, some reviews on them would be nice as well.
Leopard geckos 3.4 Ball pythons 1.1 Cats 1.2 Fox 1.0
The Household Geckos Tumblr
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fox breeders in Ohio?

Postby Ash » Sun May 17, 2015 10:44 pm

Mandy Markley, one of our mods here, is in Ohio and breeds foxes. She's great and has always had fantastic reviews from her customers and has produced some quality foxes. Do you know Gizmo? Ragtatter's Gizmo? He came from Mandy, and he is an awesome fox.

She goes by "Dinnka" here, but hasn't been on for a while due to her being super busy. The BEST way to get a hold of her is through text. The only downside I think is that she is difficult to get a hold of, but other than that, she's great. Here's a link to her info: http://www.raskbb.com/sybilsden/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=7334. She doesn't mention whether or not she produces marbles, but my guess is she probably does since she has a variety of colors.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Mon May 18, 2015 7:26 am

Yeah I saw mention of her awhile ago but the aspect of her being hard to get a hold of makes me unsure of whether or not to try it. I guess I could try popping her a message on FB or an email and maybe send a text if neither of those yield responses. The number on the linked page is a cell-phone number right?

Although she is by far, the farthest away out of all the breeders I've heard of so far. I do however like that she does interviews to be sure the kits are placed into the best homes possible, I just hope anxiety doesn't get in the way and cause me to mess up. It's so much harder to make phone calls and talk in person than it is to simply message.
Seems their FB was somewhat recently updated so I'm hoping for a response soon but I'm in no way expecting it. I'll give a few weeks or so before trying another way if need be. After all I've got time as it seems getting a kit this year is out of the question. Hoping to maybe get on a waiting list for next year.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon May 18, 2015 4:42 pm

Another thing, is usually she only really starts talking about putting people on her waiting list in the wintertime when her foxes are mating. So she may not be ready to respond at this time of year, but bug her enough, and I'm sure she'll get back to you, lol. :icon-wink: She's super duper nice!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue May 19, 2015 8:03 pm

Message her on her Facebook. I bugged her for weeks through text and she never responded. I messaged her on Facebook and got a response the same day. She only bred her reds this year though, just so you know.

Also, just in case you find them, avoid Fox Paw Exotics. They do not have a USDA license and are selling kits illegally.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Tue May 19, 2015 9:19 pm

Hmm strange.. I sent a message yesterday and didn't get a response the same day. Although I don't expect to get such a fast response and am fine with waiting. If there isn't a response in a few weeks or so I'll try again, no rush. Reds as in normal red foxes[the color]?

Also I wasn't planning on looking into any random for sale kits, only places that are recommended by current owners as there can be all sorts of scum out there. Currently also conversing with Hillview exotics and wess exotic animals and considering the responses from Wess, I may not be buying from them as I'm not quite satisfied with their short incomplete response emails, the first response not really even answering any of my questions which makes me think that they'd just skimmed it and tossed out a quick answer. I understand they're likely busy but surely if they're going to take the time to respond, they could do so a bit more professionally? It's a bit disappointing though because they were the closest so far.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue May 19, 2015 11:42 pm

I wouldn't rule out Wess's. I don't know them, but Tiny Tracks is very, very, very brief in their emails and messages. Not to be rude, they're just older folk and more blunt. Yet Tiny Tracks to me is one of the greatest out there. So some people get turned off easily by the blunt talk, but in all honesty, some people just do not communicate well through email, and calling them to chat on the phone is best.

The other thing is, what questions are you asking? If they are considered "basic" fox questions, they may think you're one of the hundreds of people out there emailing them for info you can easily find on your own. Not saying you are, but these breeders deal with a ridiculous number of emails from teenagers and kids who aren't even getting foxes. And most questions aren't really applicable to foxes. Obviously I don't know what questions you've been asking, but that could be a reason.

Just take Elina in the UK for example... She gets literally HUNDREDS of emails from people during this time of year, and she didn't even breed her foxes this year. To go through and answer THAT many inquiries from people who may or may not be serious is a really tough thing to do. But I'd say she's like the epitome of a good breeder.

That's why a phone call is the best way to talk. It shows you're more committed and not just some random kid wanting a fox "ten years in the future." Breeders get people like that a lot--teenagers who always say, "X many years in future," which is a clear tip-off that that person is definitely not currently interested in getting a fox, and should continue their research elsewhere. Heck, they may not even be breeding x many years from now. And if they're getting TONS of emails with similar questions, it gets old pretty fast. That's probably why Mandy hardly ever responds through emails, honestly. She's well-known enough that she is probably bombarded with them.

So you do have to consider the breeder's side of things too. :icon-wink: You mentioned in one of your threads that you were considering a fox next year, I think, and if so, you will have a whole year to get in contact with them. Right now, their priority is to answer emails coming from current clients who are waiting for their foxes to be weaned.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Wed May 20, 2015 3:03 am

I suppose you're right, although the questions I asked were relating to if they bred x color and if a reservation/deposit was required in advance and when a good time to do so would be.

Here's the conversation - link

I wouldn't think these few simple questions to be unreasonable to answer?
It's understandable though that they're likely busy/swarmed with non serious inquiries and would prioritize people who are getting/wanting kits now and if it was possible I'd consider getting my kit sooner but it seems the season is pretty much over and I don't even have an enclosure up yet.

Maybe when it gets closer to being that time I could try giving them a call but I just strongly prefer email right now since it's easier and causes less anxiety.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 20, 2015 2:28 pm

You: I want a marble.
Him: I have silvers.
You: I'm looking for marbles.
Him: What color do you want?

lol, :lol: I know it's probably frustrating, but this very much reminds me of how my conversations with Dave from Tiny Tracks go when I email him. He sounds a lot like Dave in his blunt, short responses.

I'm very inclined to believe they are busy and getting tons of emails and can't keep people straight who aren't getting kits this year. That's what it seems like. But you did say you were wanting a marble, and then he asked what color you wanted, lol. So sounds like he was skimming/not paying attention.

If I were you, I'd hold off until kit season is over, and then give them a call to put down a deposit next spring. When you talk to them on the phone, you'll be able to ask what colors and such they'll have available. Or resend an email after August--once all the arctic foxes are gone.

Originally, responses like this would have turned me away from a particular breeder. But this is just how a lot of older folks are in the fox business--and that's what I've seen over the years while owning foxes. Now I just understand that it's kind of "normal," for the most part. Something kind of funny: you'll notice fox breeders who are women usually give you better, more complete responses... so maybe these types of responses are a guy thing? Or maybe just an "older person" thing.
Violet

Postby Violet » Thu May 21, 2015 4:41 pm

I know David Keener in Ashland sells them. I do believe he still has quite a few kits available. He breeds reds, silvers, marbles, cross...this year, he had a litter of beautiful cinnamon colored kits. He's a very nice man, and is willing to answer questions. I'm not sure if anyone else here has had dealings with him? They might be able to chime in better than me.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 21, 2015 6:09 pm

Violet wrote:I know David Keener in Ashland sells them. I do believe he still has quite a few kits available. He breeds reds, silvers, marbles, cross...this year, he had a litter of beautiful cinnamon colored kits. He's a very nice man, and is willing to answer questions. I'm not sure if anyone else here has had dealings with him? They might be able to chime in better than me.

Check to be sure he is in the APHIS database. I just checked, and his name didn't come up so he may not be USDA-licensed; however, the APHIS database has been wonky lately, so he may still be licensed--ask him for his USDA number, and then call to confirm that it is him.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Thu May 21, 2015 7:48 pm

If they are licensed then I could take them into consideration, if i knew where to find this guy even. Where might you be able to find him to contact?

Also I may give Wess another chance but I asked similar questions to Hillview and got a much better response so at the time they seem like the better option, especially since Wess doesn't list marbles as a color they breed so I'm not even sure if they do anyways where as Hillview does. Which I'd find out if they'd pay attention to that crucial question and answer. xD;

Considering the options, Hillview seems like my best bet at the time as it seems I'm able to go ahead and get on their waitlist for next year?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu May 21, 2015 7:59 pm

Cool. :) Let us know when you decide on a breeder and what kit you decide on (I'm assuming it'll be a marble, lol).

Do you want a sunglow or an arctic marble? Sunglow marbles are the ones that have the red marks, arctic marbles are the ones with the black marks.
Violet

Postby Violet » Thu May 21, 2015 8:12 pm

I'm not sure what David's status is. He's the man my husband bought my Mother's Day kit from. I do know he keeps a record of everyone who buys a kit from him, informed my husband about permits Roulette may need, answered any questions that I had, and even told us that he had permits from the ODNR for his foxes.

He does advertise on exoticanimalsforsale.net. That's how my husband found him.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Thu May 21, 2015 8:44 pm

Ash wrote:Cool. :) Let us know when you decide on a breeder and what kit you decide on (I'm assuming it'll be a marble, lol).

Do you want a sunglow or an arctic marble? Sunglow marbles are the ones that have the red marks, arctic marbles are the ones with the black marks.

Well if I'm waiting it could be any of them really but if it's possible to get one now, I may consider it but it might be better to wait anyways especially since as mentioned previously, I still need to build the enclosure which I'd presume is something you need to have done prior to getting your kit to be prepared.

Yeah I'm pretty stuck on marbles and would prefer an artic marble[male to be precise] as I've already thought of a name even. I may accept a sunglow however as I like them as well[I'd just need to think of a new name] or even a pearl as a last resort pick.

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”