Fox breeders in Ohio?

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fox breeders in Ohio?

Postby Ash » Thu May 21, 2015 9:07 pm

I love the arctic marbles. They're one of my favorite colors, and I was hoping I'd be able to get a homozygous marble to breed to Ifrit--and then I could make some for myself, lol. The arctic marbles are my mom's favorite coloration, and the sunglows are my younger sister's favorite. The marbles really are pretty. I like them a lot.

I pick out names way in advance too, lol. And I like to keep it secret until I get the animal--secret from everyone, haha.

Violet--Chances are then he is USDA-licensed. But it's always good to double-check. And he'd be dumb for advertising on exoticanimalsforsale.net if he wasn't, lol. But like I said, the APHIS database has been acting weird lately, so it's hard to pull up the information you want to view. And he may have his license under a different name or something.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Thu May 28, 2015 10:06 am

Yeah, arctic marbles or even just marbles in general are quite interesting looking and I have a soft spot for animals that are white with some color on them such as siamese cats.

Also what's this database thing you two are talking about? If it can be confirmed that he's licensed I could perhaps try and contact him to see if he has any kits left.
Leopard geckos 3.4 Ball pythons 1.1 Cats 1.2 Fox 1.0
The Household Geckos Tumblr
Violet

Postby Violet » Thu May 28, 2015 11:27 am

http://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/sal ... r-sale.asp

That's his current ad. It lists his email and contact info.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Thu May 28, 2015 11:34 am

Violet wrote:http://www.exoticanimalsforsale.net/sale/19215-Fox-pups-for-sale.asp

That's his current ad. It lists his email and contact info.

I meant the database that you can look up whether or not a certain person is licensed. I already have his ad pulled up on a separate tab. I did go ahead and shoot him an inquiry though to see if he has any left at this point in time, which I sort of doubt but we will see. If not I asked to be put on Hillviews waiting list as well for next year.
Violet

Postby Violet » Thu May 28, 2015 11:41 am

https://acissearch.aphis.usda.gov/LPASe ... rning.jspx

Try that. It should take you to the database.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Thu May 28, 2015 11:48 am

Huh, tried looking up his name and didn't see his name anywhere on the list.
Violet

Postby Violet » Thu May 28, 2015 12:07 pm

I think he's listed under a different name. Or he, as Ash pointed out, couldn't be dumb enough to advertise on exoticanimalsforsale, without being licensed. From my understanding, he's been breeding and selling foxes for quite a few years. That'd be plenty of time for the state to catch on and fine him/shut him down, if he's illegal.

With the way they treat owners, anyways, I'd be a very let down if they turned a blind eye towards him doing that, yet take pets away from genuinely caring homes.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Thu May 28, 2015 12:15 pm

Sadly it seems to happen all to often where horrid people get away with things for a good time but yet good people get punished the moment something is amiss. It's just not fair in the least. Either way currently waiting on an email reply but not entirely sure if I'm supposed to call them. Might try if I don't hear from em soon.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu May 28, 2015 11:43 pm

Violet wrote:I think he's listed under a different name. Or he, as Ash pointed out, couldn't be dumb enough to advertise on exoticanimalsforsale, without being licensed. From my understanding, he's been breeding and selling foxes for quite a few years. That'd be plenty of time for the state to catch on and fine him/shut him down, if he's illegal.

The state is only concerned with the breeder having a state permit. They (state) do not concern themselves with if the fox breeder has a USDA (federal) license. If a breeder doesn't mention USDA during correspondence or on a website, or if you cannot find them in the database, it is best to just ask for their license number.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Thu May 28, 2015 11:57 pm

The USDA does claim to go after people operating without licenses. When I was looking at licensing requirements, I saw something encouraging people to report violations of federal law.

Of course it's also quite likely that they're underfunded and can't shut down everyone who flouts the law. I've observed that politicians seem to enjoy writing expansive, expensive, and poorly-considered regulations far more than they enjoy allocating the funds to enforce those regulations consistently.
Violet

Postby Violet » Fri May 29, 2015 7:27 am

Ah. So I believe I was confusing the two. I thought they were one and the same. Than you for clearing that up, Minerva!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 29, 2015 3:31 pm

KaitouCat wrote:Huh, tried looking up his name and didn't see his name anywhere on the list.

Ask him for his USDA number since it might be under a different name. But the number will show up, and if doesn't, a simple call to the USDA office in your region will clear things up.

If he isn't licensed, don't buy from him and just stay away. Not that he's a bad guy, but you don't want to contribute to the "black market exotic animal trade."

Anyone who wants to breed should be USDA licensed. There's no excuse for it. If you refuse to meet the USDA's requirements, you shouldn't be breeding period. It's easy enough to get one--the only hard part is if you don't already have a perimeter fence or something.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Sat May 30, 2015 7:05 am

Well it's irrelevant as I just got a response and he only has two silver pups left. Ah well, next year it is. :P I'm determined to get a little male arctic marble.
Going to be busy for a little while anyways getting settled into my new job which yay.. Back to working jobs that are 8 hour shifts.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat May 30, 2015 9:37 pm

KaitouCat wrote:Well it's irrelevant as I just got a response and he only has two silver pups left. Ah well, next year it is. :P I'm determined to get a little male arctic marble.
Going to be busy for a little while anyways getting settled into my new job which yay.. Back to working jobs that are 8 hour shifts.

Ah, that's a bummer. But in a way, it's also good because it will give you an entire year to prepare and get a nice enclosure set up way in advance. It will make owning your fox 10x easier if you go into it with the enclosure already done.

Glad you've decided on a color. :icon-wink: Arctic marbles are very pretty. I showed them to my mom, and she thought they were the prettiest color.
KaitouCat

Postby KaitouCat » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:46 am

Yeah I'm really hoping for a marble but again, I'm open to other options as well.. Actually been toying the idea about the possibility of a cham instead[Those blue eyes are captivating..] or maybe a silver. I'd prefer a marble or a cham over a silver though as a silver is a naturally occurring mutation that can be found in the wild and well, I'd like to try and steer clear of that.

Also pardon the thread necro but I've just now attempted to message Wild Adventures again on FB in the hopes that this is late enough in the year to try asking. If contacting them fails however I've also been considering the possibility of switching to getting on the wait list of another breeder depending on whom might be a best second option.
Currently I'm on the wait list with HillView Exotics[If they really did put me on a wait list] but was curious as to if people think that Wess Exotics, TinyTracks, or Hillview Exotics would be best and peoples experiences with any of them and the foxes from them. [Like personality/temperament]

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”