please read this regarding toxic dog foods: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14637

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Fox Breeders or adopt in Northern GA

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: hecate, minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

kdcook

Fox Breeders or adopt in Northern GA

Postby kdcook » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:00 pm

I have been doing some research and either looking to adopt or purchase either a arctic or silver fox. Just trying to find some possible leads. Thank you
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Fox Breeders or adopt in Northern GA

Postby pat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:06 pm

the only breeder I know of if is Tiny Tracks in Indiana. They do ship.
They are a very reliable breeder and have beautiful foxes.

When are you planning on getting a fox?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
kdcook

Postby kdcook » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:30 pm

Some time soon, no hurry but I am ready for another animal.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:42 am

kdcook wrote:Some time soon, no hurry but I am ready for another animal.

glad to hear you are planning ahead. I am sure you know they born generally in March-april.

what kind of animals do you currently have?

kdcook

Postby kdcook » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:12 am

No other animals, I was wondering how well they are fair alone (just while I am at work, and fox proof house hold). But also I will be around a few dog owners so I would like it to be playful.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:15 pm

A fox can't be left alone in a house like you would a dog. They need an outside enclosure or they can get aggressive, that means biting.

They may or may not be okay with several owners. Some are friendly sometimes but most are really shy and one person animals. Unlike dogs they have not been breed for their friendliness.

They will pee mark on everything, even you, to mark it as theirs and it smells strongly and skunky.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:26 pm

kdcook wrote:No other animals, I was wondering how well they are fair alone (just while I am at work, and fox proof house hold). But also I will be around a few dog owners so I would like it to be playful.

please tell us your expectations of a fox. we can help explain further if need be.

as mary said, it is not a good idea to leave a fox alone all day. they must be confined to a fox proof room as a kit.
as an adult, they will need an enclosure.

they begin to mark around 3-4 months of age. if a fox is bored, they can be destructive.

kdcook

Postby kdcook » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:20 pm

I got half an acre and a house by myself. I can make an outdoor enclosure. Also I am looking for an animal that is high energy and loyal. I only bring up the bit with dogs if my family stops by with there dog
kdcook

Postby kdcook » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:04 pm

Also I have had a coy-dog growing up
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:22 pm

If you want loyal you want a dog.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi! So with a fox you're going to be getting a selfish animal that wants your love and attention--but who will reward you with very little affectionate love but will require your full attention, lol. The stereotype of foxes being selfish holds true mostly. Now, I'm not saying they're not loving. Mine are VERY loving, and Fable is such a soppy thing. It's just important you understand the type of animal you're thinking about getting. :)

Since this is your first fox and you're looking for a good experience, adopting a pre-owned fox is probably not what you're looking for. That being said, there are starting to be foxes that are in need of a home due to owners not doing their research properly and not taking care of it correctly. So there are going to be foxes available for rehoming/"rescue" if you look.

A grown-up fox has lots of its own challenges though, which is why I generally would recommend a kit for the first-time owner. Kits are fun, playful, and they teach you a lot without being too overbearing. A young fox is a lot easier to bond with as well.

A fox will need an outdoor enclosure, regardless of how often you would like to bring it in the house with you. There are only a handful of foxes that adjust to living solely indoors. It has nothing to do with what they're used to or how they are raised--the majority of foxes are going to be miserable inside or prone to aggression. The few that do live indoors and can tolerate that kind of living will still make the house reek and destroy your carpet, furniture, and drywall. So an enclosure with a secure top and bottom are a must. :)

Foxes are independent animals, so even if left alone for long periods of time it will be okay. It is when they are young that they require most of your attention since that is when you are forming a bond with them. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Minty

Postby Minty » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:07 pm

Additionally, if you aren't looking to obtain licensing from the USDA, foxes are illegal in your area.
Info can be found here: http://gadnrle.org/node/84
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”