PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Where to purchase zoo surplus?

Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

KKM

Where to purchase zoo surplus?

Postby KKM » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:24 pm

As I've posted about before, my dream exotic is a short-beaked echidna, but as far as I'm aware, there are no private breeders. Thus, my only options would be zoo surplus or an import from New Guinea. Obviously, I'd rather go with the former. Does anyone know of where I can find zoo surplus echidnas? This is definitely a huge project and I am more than willing to wait awhile.

Also, is there a zoo care guide for this species (enclosure size, diet, etc)? I have had trouble finding all that much information on them.
1.2 rabbits
0.1 campbell's dwarf hamster
1.0 dog
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Where to purchase zoo surplus?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:01 pm

One came up for sale on exoticanimalsforsale once, very expensive. Generally you'd have to go through a broker that has contacts with zoos, for zoo surplus. Edit: sometimes they are imported from New Guinea apparently.
naja-naja

Re: Where to purchase zoo surplus?

Postby naja-naja » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:28 am

This is an old post, but generally you need to be a member of a zoo organisation (such as AZA) to acquire animals from members of that organisation. E.g. zoos in Britain and Ireland can join BIAZA and members can access the surplus lists from those zoos. Other times zoos owned by private individuals and not trusts or societies may acquire or dispose of animals through their contacts or own network, you'll rarely see them advertise on the open market.
1.4 burmese pythons
0.1 indian pythons
0.1 boa constrictors
1.1 macklott's pythons
1.2 reticulated pythons
0.1 blue tegu

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”