Information on Breeders, brokers, and other dealers

Moderators: minervasden, Ash, TamanduaGirl

jillbill1212

Red Panda Cubs

Postby jillbill1212 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Anyone have red panda cubs?
Its legal in Florida with the proper permits,
I still have some things to learn before i buy, I just
want to know if anyone actually have one first :?
**Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem. ~Benjamin Hoff**
foxyjax1212

Postby foxyjax1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:10 pm

OMG THIS IS LEGAL?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? :bear :bear :bear :bear

Sorry. This just made me so happy!!!!! I thought it would be absolutely illegal to own one. I really need to move to FLORIDA!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
jillbill1212

Postby jillbill1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:25 pm

Haha thats how i felt when i found out!

Well this is what ive found so far...

If there coming out of state i would need a cites appendix I import license
which can be a bit hard to apply for but with dedication and patience shouldn't be too bad, Although it does take 90 days to get approved :| .
But its strictly non-commercial and only if they think it wont be detrimental to the species. Non-commercial as in NO MONEY exchanged at all 0_0, so this makes it harder to find someone willing to give it to you for free :(
But if you can get past that or find one in Florida all you would need is a class III permit because its not on Florida's endangered list :mrgreen: .
So the only way i can get one is if someone is going to give it to me completely free or i find one in Florida, I doubt theres any for sale in Florida, Only zoos have them here :? , But it IS possible! :bear
**Lots of people talk to animals.... Not very many listen, though.... That's the problem. ~Benjamin Hoff**
foxyjax1212

Postby foxyjax1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:35 pm

HOLY!!!!!!!!POO!!!!!!!

lol I'm so happy. Even though it will be realllllly hard to find one...it's still really exciting since they are my favorite animal in the world.
jillbill1212

Postby jillbill1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:45 pm

If only someone in Florida were selling them :|
If i did find one id dedicate one room in my house to copy their natural habitat as best as i can ,but they would be very hard to feed and keep healthy and happy so id have to study some more before id buy one :mrgreen:
They're becoming my favorite animal too
foxyjax1212

Postby foxyjax1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:53 pm

I'm starting to feel like an animal hoarder for wanting all the critters that I live for. I really would like to have a raccoon (closest i'll be able to afford to a red panda for a while lol), a red marble fox, and a few more.....

Am I bad? lol(ish) :?
jillbill1212

Postby jillbill1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:05 pm

lol no i dont think you are,
We all have moments when we want one thing then we want another,
But i wouldn't suggest getting all those animals at once as they are hard work and many different breeds may confuse you :| and you wouldn't be able to provide the best quality life for all of them as you could for one
Maybe you could start out with a raccoon and later in your life a fox etc,
I know i want
Red panda cubs
Ocelots
Asian leopard cats
Canadian Lynx
Margays
and Asian Golden Cats
etc
But for right now i can only choose what would suit me and where i live best.
I probably will never get all these animals on my list lol but dosent mean i cant like them
;)
And it dosent mean you cant like the animals on your list and it dosent make you a bad person :mrgreen:
foxyjax1212

Postby foxyjax1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:11 pm

I mean, I've bounced back and forth between animals because certain ones are good until my situation looks like it might change and I don't want them to be stressed through moving and shipping and all that....

So, moving where I am now...I am going to be there for several years for sure....I think it's time that we got our baby Raccoon we have been talking about for the past.....two or so years lol

What is an Ocelot ?
jillbill1212

Postby jillbill1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:27 pm

Lol make sure to post pictures when you get your baby! :D

And an Ocelot is a medium sized exotic cat,

25-35 pounds i believe,
I know they use to be endangered but i think they're status changed because in Florida they're class II which you would only need a permit to own and on Wikipedia it says there LC (Least concern) so im not sure :?

But i think they're one of the prettiest medium sized cats , although some owners say they have a biting problem :| they are kinda like a larger version of Asian leopard cat looks-wise , but personality wise they're pretty different i believe

:mrgreen:
foxyjax1212

Postby foxyjax1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:30 pm

That's a beautiful cat. I have wanted a Serval for quite some time also....but I don't have the room for one. :(

Thanks for the support and everything. I come on the forum all the time but for some reason I never have felt very welcomed because I am so country-fied. I don't know much about exotics.......so I feel out of place for being exotic-stupid.
jillbill1212

Postby jillbill1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:55 pm

The first exotic i wanted was a serval,
But i have domestic cats and i heard they dont get along :|

And no problem :mrgreen: , I hope you feel more welcome to post your future questions and pictures, There are alot of nice people here :) some are a lil blunt and judge quickly but for the most part people are nice,
I dont think your exotic stupid at all, you know what you want and you go for it, you didn't get the first animal you saw that was cute, you waited because you knew your situation would change and i think that is very admirable :)
No one is born knowing about exotics,
Everyone here was once exotic stupid too lol
Do you have name for your raccoon yet?
:D
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:44 pm

Ok, I didn't read through this - but after I read this I wanted to comment.
If they want you only to have it for non-commercial purposes, then there's obviously an exception because they allow them in zoos who get their profit be displaying their animals. ...?
Or am I mis-understanding the name of non-commercial?
Because it sounds like they wouldn't approve me for one because I plan to build a small zoo - and they're going to think I'm using it for commercial purposes because people pay to see them at my zoo!
(Sorry, you've heard me complaining about people in charge of the law a lot...I think I have trust issues with people in charge of laws. x] )
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
FoxAdorer817

Postby FoxAdorer817 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Now I read through it all... and oh my gosh, I'm the same way! Hehe.
I want so many exotic animals (and I felt kinda bad about it...)... But! That's why I decided I'd just open my own zoo so that I'm not just having it consume my life, I'm making it my life! ;) And I have plenty of time to research them all (I think), and I don't feel too bad because I'll be building my house For them.
But yeah, I actually find it kind of funny that I learned about exotic animals before I learned anything about domesticated animals - I still am much less clue-less about exotics than like a cat or dog or something.
My first exotic love was the fox (probably as you can tell from my name and picture.)
but other things I've come to seriously love that I'll actually very much want as part of my life/zoo that are practical (as in, I've seen them for sale and I've seen care-sheets.) are
otters
tigers
a serval
an argentine black&white tegu
an opposum
a raccoon
SQUIRRELS! (Hehe, I always seem to forget about them, but I love squirrels.)
And there are a bunch of other things- but I haven't quite seen them for sale...so, I don't know about them.
The ones I had plural are ones I want to breed though. :) (I'd love to see baby ones of them and spread them to the loving and intelligent part of the exotic animal loving community. ;) )
Oh well, I'm done blabbing - I don't actually think this stuff is going to happen for me... but if the economy gets better I think I have some hope. ;)
Oh, and even though I already mentioned foxes- I want to add that I was to have every single type of fox, and breed most of them. Hehe.
Mk, NOW I'm done. :)
Proud care-giver to a bunny, 5 Siberian dwarf hamsters, 2 chinchillas and currently a baby(chin). <3 :)
jillbill1212

Postby jillbill1212 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:15 pm

FoxAdorer817-
It says primarily commercial purposes so im thinking they mean if its only for a profit then its illegal or if its for a profit at all?, :? Lol im not 100% sure about that though.
And I think a small zoo would be able to get one because it'd be for educational and exhibiting purposes rather than just money ;)
and its okay im like that too,
For example the class II animals require a zoning statement from the county i live in, I'm afraid if i get the wrong person they may not approve of exotic pets and not give me a zoning statement lol but im sure they wont (i hope)
and a zoo is a great idea! I wanted to open a zoo too because of my love for exotic animals but that's still a dream lol and when you open your zoo ill be the first costumer! The animals you want would be very gorgeous and fascinating to see. And i love foxes too, Although my first animals of choice would be exotic cats :mrgreen:
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:07 pm

ccons live 15-20 years (hopefully). They will give you experience having a room for your pet to go to that's all his. Make it indestructible. And make it so you can lock him (her) in there when you go away or have company. Coons are GREAT pets as long as you accept them as coons and don't expect them to be a funny looking dog or cat.
Pat has it set up so hers can go outside (into a safe pen) when it wants. I'm sooooo jealous, but haven't figured out a way to do that yet.

Return to “BREEDERS & DEALERS”