Contemplating Ori's color - Tamandua Colors

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Contemplating Ori's color

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:33 am

So I've decided I'm going to take Pua to the self serve dog wash if the owner will let me. She seems to really like Pua when I bring her in for Christmas photos. I've been thinking about it as there is a leash system in the bathing area so would make it easy and could enlist someone to film the fun and get a good bathing photo.

Plus I could try a whitening dog shampoo on her, they don't bleach just supposed to really clean the hair. I shampoo her multiple times at home and water keeps coming off orange, lol so her hair is always stained a bit. Want to see what she really looks like fully clean at least once.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:12 am

We wound up being really busy so I just bought some shampoo while out but I think there are better brands just not at that store. I scrubbed her at home. She could'a used a 3rd shampoo though.

Pua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdw-fLVu9tw

The results
Pua after her bath by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

And Ori http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhzfBDGPzz8
Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Gorgeousss~

I need to find a good whitening shampoo for Lumi as well, so when you find a good brand let me know! Also the video of her getting bathed was totally worth watching. Glad to know all animals have the "no no! Let me out!" reaction.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Wow, she's really pretty. I didn't think she would be that white. So do you think the blonds may be leucistic then?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Awww she's so pretty! I love white animals. I have my eye on a white glider. I wonder how much whiter she would've gotten with a better brand of whitening shampoo. So cute. :piggy:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:10 pm

Yeah has to be leucistic for Pua's color type. Actually I had forgotten about my old microscope photos of Pua's hair. It not only lacks pigment but appears to be hallow like polar bear hair.

Time for science - Tamandua hair end by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

While this looks reflective the light was coming from underneath so showing through. Plus once when I didn't take photos I had looked at a hair of hers that was damaged and had holes in the hallow shaft that made it look like it had bubbles.
Time for science - Tamandua hair by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

And here is a Quasi dog hair, who is a bright white. Since not hallow it does not let the light through.
Time for science - Quasi by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Actually polar bear hair has some pigment but it's inside so not seen. They tend to get yellowish too from being dirty(when not living on ice) http://alaskafurid.wordpress.com/page/2/

Pua doesn't have any pigment unless I get a short hair from her vest area as she dose have some dark base there.

Hyzzie and Quasi hair with a Pua vest area short hair
Time for science by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

I should maybe take some more and compare Pua's hair to Aurora's
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:24 am

This sorta became the tamandua color thread so I'll drop it here that someone had a albino tamandua born in the US and NO it's not chasingtail so be nice. But it's not public info so I feel a bit bad even posting this but it's cool that there's hope for some rare colors of some species.
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:57 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:This sorta became the tamandua color thread so I'll drop it here that someone had a albino tamandua born in the US and NO it's not chasingtail so be nice. But it's not public info so I feel a bit bad even posting this but it's cool that there's hope for some rare colors of some species.

Woah, that's cool! Does the tamandua have any skin sensitivities?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 2 leopard geckos, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, arctic fox, gray fox, bat eared fox, fennec fox, mink, muntjac deer, owl (any species).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Contemplating Ori's color - Tamandua Colors

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:07 pm

Probably, like other albinos, would be careful with sun exposure, it's still young but he did wait till it was older to announce her to be sure she was going to thrive. I'm normally not a huge fan of albino animals but albino tamanduas are so pretty, because of their skin secretions the fur gets died a light gold color, with the pink nose, ears and hands is pretty. If you really wanted them to be more typical white you could use whitening shampoo on them to get the stain out like I did Pua that one time but I think their natural color is lovely.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:01 pm

Ooh, that's exciting! That would be great to have a whole bunch of anteater colors. An albino sounds lovely.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:08 pm

I'm typically not a fan of albinos either (unless we are talking bell or rainwater albino leopard geckos), but after doing a quick search, I saw two photos and they really are pretty! They are like a sherbet orange color.

The melanistic tamanduas look really cool too. Do you know if there are any leucistics? I usually love leucistic animals, but I'm pretty sure that a leucistic would turn gold too because of the skin secretions that you mentioned, but some leucistic animals have blue eyes and I think it'd be really cool to see a blue-eyed tamandua!
    Owner of a ball python, leopard gecko, two betta fish, and two cats.

Dream Pets: Caracal, rusty-spotted genet, gray smooth hound shark, black tree
    monitor, dragon moray, doberman, Yakut laika, and Brazilian black tarantula.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Some of the vested variety are partial but if looking for totally white and pink other than eyes, then no I've not heard of it.
Can't embed it: http://zooinstitutes.com/animal.asp?name=4072

Pua if you washed her clean was white fur but her eyes, ears, claws and tail were still dark and a wee bit of her undercoat in her vest area but they don't have much of that. But I think that's more of a sub type of tamandua tetradactyla longicudata or if science were to get updated a subspecies of tamandua longicudata rather than an anomaly like luecism.

Other Tamandua Longicudata look like this but Pua, and Aurora to a slightly lesser extent, faded to really light/white once adults.

Pua scrubbed clea

Yes there are black ones in captivity but not in the US unfortunately. One guy has quite a few but so far has refused to sell any to the US but it's bound to happen someday.

Edit: Oh there are also cherry blonds of Ttl We almost got one before when trying to get a male but it fell through.
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:59 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:This sorta became the tamandua color thread so I'll drop it here that someone had a albino tamandua born in the US and NO it's not chasingtail so be nice. But it's not public info so I feel a bit bad even posting this but it's cool that there's hope for some rare colors of some species.

I have heard of an albino tamandua before so I have a weak guess about the breeder you are talking about. A non-pretentious breeder at that based on what I observe. So don't worry I won't be mean.
Bora Kalem
Onyx

Postby Onyx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Hmmm well maybe one day a lucy will appear? Either way the albinos are really cool too.

Only some leucistic animals have blue eyes. Others have dark eyes, so who knows. So possibly even if there was a lucy it may have dark eyes anyway.

Really interesting creatures, though!
    Owner of a ball python, leopard gecko, two betta fish, and two cats.

Dream Pets: Caracal, rusty-spotted genet, gray smooth hound shark, black tree
    monitor, dragon moray, doberman, Yakut laika, and Brazilian black tarantula.

Return to “INSECTIVORES”