PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Tamandua question

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Realtree1

Tamandua question

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:06 pm

So i was just curious, since every species has its own quirks and habits, etc. So what is it that makes tamanduas good companions for some people? This is mainly for tamanduagirl I guess because I'm not sure if anyone else on here has some, but anybody with experience is welcome to respond. So what makes someone want a tamandua?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tamandua question

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:48 pm

The last question is a bit different from the first. Someone might want one because they are cute and unique. For me I also liked the challenge of figuring out the right care and diet for them since there was not much info yet and a lot of it bad at the time.

Now what makes them a good pet for some is the things you enjoy that make all the negative worth it. They have great personalities. I even adore Aurora even though she insists on being hands off, most likely due to past mishandling.

They are smart and love to play. The nocturnal thing works great for me, though at times is a pain when they decide to get up right after I turned in or Pua is waking me up repeatedly for treats. But don't really have to worry about them at all during the day, normally. Males and youngsters are more likely to get up during the day. Boys also tend to be more out going while females are more snuggle with one person momma's girls. They give kisses, clean out ears and even give gentle massages with their claws. They also give great hugs.

Neck rub by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

On some nights I'd have both Pua and Stewie rapped over my back. Pus also used to love sleeping inside my shirt. She was very clingy till about a year after Stewie died then she became more independent but still playful and loves to snuggle just not all the time.

Massage, a rhythmic kneading kind of like some cats do
Pua giving an arm massage by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:03 pm

Awesome thanks for your response. I also have another question. I've heard that they are kind of like rats in that they cant control their bladder very well and trickle a little everywhere they go, is this true?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:11 pm

Yes. It's worse when she's in heat but that's monthly. Not so funny when she runs across my pillow during the night and leaves a little something for me, ha.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Haha yea that would be gross. :lol: So do the males still have that problem as bad then?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:19 pm

The only male I had long term was Stewie and he wasn't all that long term, unfortunately. I think it may be a mixed bag and depend on the male. Stewie was a little snot. He hadn't poop trained to the pad, yet. He insisted he wanted to poop in the living room but maybe he would have calmed down on that with age and treats for good behavior. He did dribble, more so in new settings but then he did start marking too. He was stealthy about it. If he stopped it was for like half a second and then he would leave a small puddle behind, like a spoonful or two. He also started standing up to pee. The first time was in a windowsill. He couldn't find a good position so just stood up and then he would do that against walls sometimes too. He had a bit of a bratty side with that.

Mandua never did. Maybe was age or partly his not liking to drink, he had some issues. I don't remember him dribbling like that though.

Eldorado was a full grown adult from the wild and I don't remember him doing it either. Maybe he just didn't see the point in a domestic setting where the female loathed him, or it's a subspecies thing, or I just remember incorrectly.

Pua dribbles more than everyone else, even the other girls. In general it's not very bad. Sometimes Pua can run around and it's dry other times, if you are bare foot you an feel little tiny wet spots all over from her run up and down the hall.

This close up of Aurora's privates while pregnant shows some light dribble http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/5374914834/

Here you can see the light drips behind Pua as she explores http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/3028015617/

Then there's the pillow and bed times http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/3156952529/
I can't help thinking these are at least partly on purpose, like Stewie's marking(which he did out of my room at least). Pua has always seemed a tomboy. I this tends to be a just on my bed thing most of the time at least that I notice. She tends to stay "arboreal" any more on up on the shelves and not the floor.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:50 pm

Is their urine very strong smelling or stain a lot, or is it more watery?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:42 am

It doesn't stain. It does tend to have a rusty orange/red color but washes out easily enough. It does have a skunky smell to it. It smells worse when left to sit. I don't really notice a smell from the small drips unless I get my nose right up onto a spot.

I think they smell similar to foxes but with their own scents mixed in too. A friend with both says the foxes smell much worse but I don't know what she feeds them, I know she feeds the tanandua well.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Okay, and you let yours have relative free roam don't you?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Yeah they don't get caged but the door to the rest of the house is closed when everyone else goes to sleep. It's a really big room that I share with them.
Realtree1

Postby Realtree1 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:23 pm

Gotcha thanks for all your responses :thank:

Return to “INSECTIVORES”