Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aardwolf

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:29 am

Nicophorus wrote:Good video.

I got Aardwolf placed on the agenda for this year for review of class listing, and the cities the public forums are being held in to discuss and review the current captive wildlife rules have been announced but no date set yet.

Its so inappropriate that this small insectivore is a class 1 animal.

Cool! Keep us updated on that. :) I'm excited for you!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:38 pm

Nicophorus wrote:Good video.

I got Aardwolf placed on the agenda for this year for review of class listing, and the cities the public forums are being held in to discuss and review the current captive wildlife rules have been announced but no date set yet.

Its so inappropriate that this small insectivore is a class 1 animal.

Do you know if there's anything that I could do to help? I technically qualify as a Florida resident now so I think I have some say in this state now.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:11 pm

I suppose appearing at your local commission meeting for this when it gets scheduled and speaking about it with some quick facts about how it is ridiculous that 15 pound insectivores are listed as class 1's, or even a letter to that same effect.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Nicophorus wrote:I suppose appearing at your local commission meeting for this when it gets scheduled and speaking about it with some quick facts about how it is ridiculous that 15 pound insectivores are listed as class 1's, or even a letter to that same effect.

I'm not sure where on FWC's website to find the scheduled meetings is. The only listing I could find is for one in the Kissimee area and it didn't list the Aardwolf on it's schedule. Am I just looking in the wrong spot? (This is the website I found: http://myfwc.com/about/commission/commi ... 10/agenda/)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:10 am

At the top of this main wildlife page you will see a PDF link to the letter announcing these meetings and locations (date TBA)

http://myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife/

Anything dealing with the rules for captive wildlife are being gone over in them. My main concern is they are going to make things even harder in Florida to have captive wildlife then it already is. We will see, but that's how it went in the past.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:15 pm

Nicophorus wrote:At the top of this main wildlife page you will see a PDF link to the letter announcing these meetings and locations (date TBA)

http://myfwc.com/license/captive-wildlife/

Anything dealing with the rules for captive wildlife are being gone over in them. My main concern is they are going to make things even harder in Florida to have captive wildlife then it already is. We will see, but that's how it went in the past.

Thanks! Unfortunately the closest city to me is Jacksonville or Orlando, and depending on the day or time I may or may not be at work. icon_confused.gif If I am I'll try to work up a letter in it's place.

I had heard that Florida was tightening their rules a bit, the assistant manager at the vet clinic I take my animals to over in Newberry seemed to think raccoons could no longer be kept as pets here (which, since I'm applying for a job there, I did not bother to correct her... :roll: ).

She also expressed a lot of distaste for people keeping skunks, raccoons, and foxes as pets. Which is sad, because that vet clinic is listed here on the list of recommended vets. When I do get foxes next spring or summer, depending on the housing situation, we probably will take them to a vet in Jacksonville just for the safety of my job if I am hired there.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes