Aardwolf

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Aardwolf

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:59 pm

I based the diet on the nutritional value average of their stomach contents rather than any species like that. That way it includes everything they had ingested recently. The only draw back was it was a short study of a few months but a whole year and more animals would have been better. A more recent study where they realized the zoo diets were causing health problems studied the suspected causes, retinol, vit D and calcium. It showed my beef diet was within what they discovered were safe levels. That one also took blood samples and Pua's blood test a couple years back while on the diet showed in healthy range too.

The individual ant and termite values are more valuable to me for deciding on the best insects to include. For example their stomach contents are very high in minerals one major one being iron. Looking at the ants they are very high in iron so we knows it's not just from ingesting dirt with inorganic iron. I upped the iron in the diet with beef heart and some extra with some other things. But Silk worms are also said to be very high in iron. Silkworms are also high in iron and from what I could find on them the most comparable in nutrition to ants while not actually being ants.

without a good study like on the tamandua that already averages all the nutrients from stomach contents it will be much more work. Use what info you can find and use the insects they eat and add them up. Bu not having the right termite values is a bit of a bind too. I think the values will be most dependent on what they eat so their environments so I would look at termites from similar climates to where the aardwolves live.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:15 pm

Some of the articles listed here might help if you can find them somewhere
http://www.andersonafrica.co.za/publica ... onlist.pdf
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:52 pm

Thank-you so much. I will definitely take a look at those. I need to head into work soon, so I don't have time now, but I'll be sure to check them out.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Ok Ash time for a update or anything new you learned on these critters imo.

So I've decided its time work on getting USDA licensed and whatever Florida requires of me. Going through the different classes of animals they group together (Florida that is), to see what level of license I should apply for.

In the most restrictive "class 1" listing, there are only two animals I am interested anyways, but I'm kind of surprised these two animals are listed alongside the large carnivores and megafauna such as tigers, elephants, etc.

Those two animals are Aardwolves and Gibbons. Not sure why Gibbons are up there as a class 1 animal and am very confused why a 30 pound insectivore like an aardwolf is on there!

Anyone have any insight on why Aardwolves would be grouped in the (fairly small) class 1 list of most dangerous wildlife??? Is there something I'm missing about them? Far more aggressive and dangerous animals like Wolverines and Clouded Leopards are not even class 1's , but personal-pet-allowed class 2 wildlife.

Is this just an ignorant grouping of Aardwolves with their related but far larger and more dangerous Spotted Heynas? Seems like it should be changed, at least down to a class 2.

p.s would love to hear update on your aardwolf quest, how much on average did you find them to cost and how available are they?
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:59 am

Hi, I've been in the process of moving to the new house, so I'm finally just hopping online again.

Are aardwolves specifically listed? I know that hyenas are class 1, so maybe they just got kind of tossed in there with the spotteds and stripeds. If they're actually listed, then I'll bet you could work to get that changed. My guess is they're just listed in there because they're hyenas. I'll bet if you put something together like TamanduaGirl did with bettongs in her state, you could probably make a great case for getting them into a class 2 at least.

On "average" they were around $6500-7500, but that was always going through brokers, so that price is probably higher than what it would cost if you imported one yourself. Ken Walker was one of these brokers I had found, but he is no longer working as a broker, and the other one I had seen up for sale from someone else was several years ago. If you imported them yourself, they would probably be cheaper. I found several places in Africa that specialize in live-capture, and I'd probably go with trying to import them myself from those facilities. I'll have to see if I can find the websites for those facilities--I had favorited them, but I may have to dig around for the links.

I have been thoroughly studying importation laws lately. ;)

There are no aardwolf breeders in the private sector currently that I am aware of. A lady in Oregon I believe has one/some, but I have not heard whether or not if she has had success breeding them. So at the moment, the best option is to import a wild-caught one.

Here's where I stand in my quest so far:

Money isn't a major issue at this point if I can get the animal at a lower price; I've been saving up over the years for my "aardwolf project," and if I started out with just one aardwolf, I could manage it, I think. Of course, saving up more would be best, especially for emergencies or unexpected financial crises. I don't know if I'd feel comfortable getting one right now. I'm in-between jobs at the moment (trying to go freelance, but we'll see), so I know that now would definitely not be the best time unless I got a big break.

Diet's a bit of a problem. I can't find good studies on the nutritional content of the species of termite aardwolves eat; this isn't an insurmountable obstacle since I can always use zoo diets while I refine my research though. I may have to do some trail-and-error.

Legalities in my state is a pain though. I need to be 100% ready with an enclosure built before I can even go before the board to get a COR for an aardwolf. And even then, they may arbitrarily want it sterilized, which would ruin future breeding plans, and I would ultimately have an animal that would be unhandleable, and unprofitable. Which would be okay, because that could very well be the result of a breeding program.

In a few weeks I'm building a fox enclosure for Fable and my soon-to-be-born vixen, but I will probably not make it as "grand" as I originally intended so that I can put more money toward the aardwolf's enclosure.

I would like to get an aardwolf sooner than later, and they're still my dream animal. I've gotten a bit more realistic over the years with what needs to be done to get one, and I do think I'm closer. I do need to rework my budget now that I'm in a new house, and figure out how well things work out for me doing freelance work--but hey, property taxes are low here, so that's good news at least, lol. :P I can't say for sure if it'll be this year or not, but it sure would be great if I could go for it later this year. We'll just have to see.

Let me know how your quest goes too. ;)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Kokoa

Postby Kokoa » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:30 pm

Sounds exciting I hope everything goes well. Can't wait to get an update. Also are you going to maybe make a post with information on Aardwolf like their behaviors, what they eat and how big they get?
Gryffindor

Postby Gryffindor » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:13 am

It's great seeing an update on this :) I love aardwolves and have dreams of setting up a breeding program one day too!

Nicophorus wrote:Ok Ash time for a update or anything new you learned on these critters imo.

So I've decided its time work on getting USDA licensed and whatever Florida requires of me. Going through the different classes of animals they group together (Florida that is), to see what level of license I should apply for.

In the most restrictive "class 1" listing, there are only two animals I am interested anyways, but I'm kind of surprised these two animals are listed alongside the large carnivores and megafauna such as tigers, elephants, etc.

Those two animals are Aardwolves and Gibbons. Not sure why Gibbons are up there as a class 1 animal and am very confused why a 30 pound insectivore like an aardwolf is on there!

Anyone have any insight on why Aardwolves would be grouped in the (fairly small) class 1 list of most dangerous wildlife??? Is there something I'm missing about them? Far more aggressive and dangerous animals like Wolverines and Clouded Leopards are not even class 1's , but personal-pet-allowed class 2 wildlife.

Is this just an ignorant grouping of Aardwolves with their related but far larger and more dangerous Spotted Heynas? Seems like it should be changed, at least down to a class 2.

p.s would love to hear update on your aardwolf quest, how much on average did you find them to cost and how available are they?

Oh no, I thought aardwolves and hyenas were Class II in Florida. I'm in Florida as well. That really sucks because aren't Class I animals only legal for zoos? I've planned for a long time to have aardwolves and striped (and possibly spotted) hyenas one day. :(
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:33 am

Class I animals can be for anything , except personal pets (with exception of cougars and a couple other things that have been grandfathered in by a certain date in the past). You'd have to exhibit them, use them for business/breeding etc.

And Aardwolves DO NOT belong with the rest of the Hyenas as class 1's. Emu/Rhea are class 3, and Ostrich/Cassowary are class 2. By the same token the far less dangerous Aardwolf needs to be moved out of the other hyena category.

Its beyond ridiculous that wolves, etc are class 2, yet Aardwolves are not.. I will eventually challenge this if need be.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Kokoa wrote:Sounds exciting I hope everything goes well. Can't wait to get an update. Also are you going to maybe make a post with information on Aardwolf like their behaviors, what they eat and how big they get?

Definitely, if I get to that point in my "quest," lol. A great care manual for aardwolves and hyenas is the AZA's handbook section on them. It's pretty thorough. You could read some stuff from there, I believe it's one of the first topics in either the insectivore or large critters section.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:00 am

So it seems our government can be responsive after all.

Greetings Mr. XXX,

As of 2009, Hyenas and Aardwolves (listed together) were added as Class I wildlife. At that time, the Captive Wildlife Technical Assistance Group (CWTAG) recommended to staff during the 2009 Rule Redevelopment process to include Hyenas and Aardwolves listed together as Class I wildlife because both animals are in the same Hyaenidae family classification. When the animals were up listed, no one was expected to be impacted. The CWTAG justified the up listing of Aardwolves because the level of experience needed for proper care and husbandry of the animal and the potential threat to public safety the Hyaenidae family was capable of.

Currently, captive wildlife staff is preparing to enter another cycle of rule redevelopment for captive wildlife rules. Since you have brought this issue to our attention we will include your concern (for whether Aardwolves should be listed as Class I wildlife) in our rule development process for consideration. Once the final date for our first CWTAG meeting is determined and published, you will have the opportunity to comment on issues the CWTAG will address and present your concerns throughout the remainder of this year in our public meetings. As we continue to finalize our CWTAG meeting plans, you will be able to find updates on our website.

I hope I was able to assist you with your concern. If you have any further concerns please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Thank you,

Terrence S. Williams

Florida Gubernatorial Fellow

FWC Division of Law Enforcement, Captive Wildlife

Bryant Building 620 S. Meridian St.

Tallahassee, FL 32399-1600

All of you who may be in Florida, would be great if you could help support the reclassification of Aardwolves OUT of the ridiculous class I list (that includes spotted hyena, Tigers, Lions, etc) to a much more appropriate class 2 or 3. I will be keeping up with this and will, if they let me, make a presentation at one of the open meetings.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:20 pm

Good luck with getting them reclassified.
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Nicophorus: If there is anything I can do to help when I'm in Florida after June, let me know.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:30 pm

That's great news. :) Please keep us posted!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:27 pm

Here's a tame/pet aardwolf. It seems very calm and chill. Can't believe how relaxed it is around those screaming children, lol.

I need one of these things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9xEFNNxj5I

Notice how it marks about three times in this video though, haha. Well, marking or pasting, I don't really know.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:49 am

Good video.

I got Aardwolf placed on the agenda for this year for review of class listing, and the cities the public forums are being held in to discuss and review the current captive wildlife rules have been announced but no date set yet.

Its so inappropriate that this small insectivore is a class 1 animal.

Return to “INSECTIVORES”