https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

New Caresheet *done*

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:40 pm

It's due to there being such diversity in diets fed. Dortmund zoo feeds a fancy diet with a mince meat heart as a core ingredient. I tried to copy their diet at first since they have been very successful with them but changed it around some to what I thought was better at the time based on what I knew at the time.

The simple diet is based on the fact they do okay on kibbled diets. It's good for travel or power outage or some emergency situation and it is cheap if really in a pinch. It's as good as any of the other kibbled diets, probably better. The flax adds extra fiber they need and they get the K in the spinach, instead of having to add supplements or leafeater.

Pua decided she wanted raw beef and she did well with it so I did the simple recipe at first with beef instead of kibble. After another tam owner stated asking me question we both started working on the diet again and I tweeked it even more to match more closely the wild tamandua diet nutrients based on stomach contents. I realized it was really low in iron so added the heart and some other high iron things. Found out the thyme is higher in iron than spinach so I've been using that more lately and it makes the food smell nice. She's has been really picky in the past and even had trouble getting her from one batch of food to another but since on the beef we only had once incident where she refused a batch, my best guess was something was amiss with the meat, my dogs didn't mind it though. Otherwise she's eaten it just as well any changes I make so can do a little more variety.

It's a lot of work. Had to take the nutritional amounts of each food in the amount in the mix and add them all up then do the math to get PPM or percent of that nutrient in the food compared to the wild amounts, then make changes and do it all over till you get everything as close as you can. Even changing the beef from regular to lean changes all the numbers. When you use lean you might need to add something for a little more calcium somewhere. Pua gets calcium in her cheese treats. It's made a huge difference though so worth all the work.

It's about half a pound of beef per cup so I buy ten pounds of ground beef and mix up nine pounds worth and freeze it and lasts about a month. My friend uses elk instead of beef because they have plenty of that and theirs likes it plus it's lean. They don't need a lot of fat but I figure most people wont want to spend extra on lean so the diet in the sheet of for regular ground beef.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:17 pm

That care sheet is awesome. You must really know about your critters. I salute you :D
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Thank you

Return to “INSECTIVORES”