PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Pua

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BB

Postby BB » Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:07 am

You are so lucky to have such an amazing animal. She is the most lovely thing ever!!! Keep posting pictures, she's such a joy! :bear
malane3

pics

Postby malane3 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:55 pm

Wow! That's an amazing pet! Thanks for posting pictures. She's beautiful. I bet she's fascinating. :)
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:00 pm

What a cutie! :D
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
zillahkatz

Postby zillahkatz » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:56 am

LOVE the pics - she's darling. What is she like as a pet? Do you keep her "contained" when you're out of the house? Do you have to keep a close eye when she's roaming around?

(For instance, Siony the fox if great but he'll sure as heck steal anything, pee on anything he thinks should be his, chew any nylon webbing - a fav - etc.)

What are the quirks? You know... it's all the things that I tell people when they're like, "OH!!! How Great!!! YOU have a fox??!! I so want a fox!!! Cool!!! Where can I get one???!!!" ... That's when I mention, they're stinky, they pee on stuff, they're like having an eternal puppy.... blah blah.

It's not that I think all people would be terrible exotic owners, I just don't think most people are cut our for it.

Heck - I worked in rescue - there are a whole lot of people who can't even deal with a dog or cat!!
Anyway - I digressed in a huge way... jusy curious about you're cute girl!

Cheers, Stacey
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:58 am

Thanks Stacey. I do love talking anteaters :)

I just logged in because I couldn't remember how to spell zorilla and wanted to look them up, lol. I remembered they were mentioned in little critters and saw there was activity in insectivores, yay.

I do have a FAQ http://hubpages.com/hub/Anteater-FAQ
And a care sheet if you really want to get in depth http://hubpages.com/hub/Anteater-Care-Sheet

I do have a cage but haven't used it in over a year. She REALLY hates being caged and it seems most of them do unless it's a huge enclosure. The problem is they are escape artists from most enclosures. Even most zoos lock them up in steel cages at night. Tae in Japan opens the door on exhibit and has escaped a few times, once found in with the penguins. They've been known to claw their way through walls.

Stewie just tore holes in the dry wall. Mostly small holes but one night I came back from a shower and there was a hole the size of two anteaters. Pua's claws weren't dirty but she was sitting by his shoulder egging him on, I swear. I did break him of that habit by putting cayenne pepper powder in the holes.

She stays in my room at night or when I am gone. It's a converted garage and largest room in the house :) and why she has a washer to sleep in. Everything has to be locked and bolted, window and doors. She has opened doors before. Stewie was more into things and opened drawers, cabinets etc.

I do keep an eye on her at night so i can follow her into the yard or open the window for her in the back room and play with her. she sleeps all day but Stewie was up in the afternoons. In the winter I can let her roam a bit more unsupervised if I want too.

I used to have to cage her to sleep sometimes as she would claw at my head to wake me up to play or just to wake me and I get cranky with to little sleep. She also used to claw at the door a lot but has gotten very good about both things. She'll just wake me if she needs something. Most of the time I just wake up and she is sitting on the dryer looking at me and then I'll get her fresh vinegar or food.

The main problem with running around this time of year is getting out a window or door left open for air. She would like to come and go like a cat if she had her way. She got out the door once and came back an hour later after panicking us all. She had a snack and a nap and wanted to go back out.

They do have skunky pee issue like foxes but not as bad with marking. 99%+ of the time she uses her pee pad and only pees once a day and poops in a different spot from her pee every other day. But her hormones make her try to go in another part of the house sometimes. She's really obvious about it so i scoop her up and put her on her pad and tell her to go pee then when she does she gets some cheese. Stewie was more stubborn and quicker.

They are like big rats though and tend to dribble pee around. This is worse when they are in a new place and is effected by Pua's hormones too. It doesn't smell strong like the regular pee but could be an issue for some people. They don't have a physical odor when happy and healthy except Pua does get an old bologna smell when in heat.

Issue two of females they cycle monthly and do spot blood, sometimes lighter than others, a little icky but not to bad.

Stewie did claw at the furniture some but he was young. Pua never but she wont claw unless food is involved.

The main issue really is they are delicate keepers. They are prone to coming down with dramatic mysterious illnesses. They are hemophiliacs and while having enough K in the diet keeps it under control many illnesses seem to come with bleeding. It's still one of the most common issues. Most species recycle vitamin K, so they do not need much as they can reuse it. It seems anteater do not recycle their K and need a diet high in K. It's like having an animal always on rat poison(prevents recycling of K). Some illnesses effect the ability to absorb and use nutrients so this could be part of the issue with bleeding out.

That's the hardest point to get across. It's like having a little alien. They are tons different physiologically from any other commonly kept species. I mean carnivore, omnivore, herbivore can be fed all roughly the same per category and given mostly the same treatments. Xenarthras(anteaters, sloths and dillos) are so different they have their own supper-order, there are only 4 super orders under mammals.

If you have a heart at all you will worry tons and get heart broken, whether it be from illness, escape, or death. You have to learn everything from scratch. What sounds are okay and what might be a problem, was that a sneeze or congestion or just saying something? They also have a tenancy to go anorexic without obvious cause, though with those who have tried it the diet I worked out has helped several who have issues with going off their food and or loosing weight.

Personality wise they are fantastic. Playful sweet and cute they don't even need to be bottle raised(or even raised in captivity) to be tame(d). It's just all that other baggage they come with that can be to much for many or most. (actually strongly disagree with bottle feeding other than urgent necessity, and don't think any one does).
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:38 am

The pictures are much appreciated. Its really too bad they ae hard keepers because Pua, at least, is really lovable.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:56 am

It would really be good for more people to have them who can take proper care of them. The more people have the more that gets learned then the easier their care becomes. Plus then we would have a strong captive population in case their wild kin drop to more than just threatened status.

Everyone that knew Stewie loved him too. He was more acrobatic. I just wasn't posting photos here much while I had him.
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:59 pm

I remember Stewie, he's who I was thinking about when I wrote before. I agree with you and also wish more people who could afford to would raise all the potentially endangered exotics. But people like me are reliant on the internet or the library for information and that isn't good enough for these animals, I am not willing to risk their life on my ability to get and recognize good information. I am having problems with conflicting information on skunks right now. The 2 sites, skunk haven and striped bandits have conflicting information and I don't know which is right. And skunks have been pets for years. Anyway, have you found a mate for Pua?
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:35 pm

Do you add vitamin k to her diet? I was thinking about htis the other day because we have some at work as the antidote for rat poison. Wondered if you gave it to her in that form or just naturally in foods?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:00 pm

I get it to her naturally with either spinach or thyme. Thyme has worked out better because it has more K and iron plus it helps preserve the food some.

Some use the leaf-eater biscuits because they have K in them but all the kibble type diets have the issue of having to much retinol. A few do just add a supplement of K to the diet. The wild analysis of their diet doesn't include K so I just made sure my diet had more than the leaf-eater kibble diets most zoos use.

When I first got Pua it was awhile before she got on a good diet due to her heath. I was happy to get anything in her. She bled from a tiny spot near her genitals that didn't want to clot, maybe a flea bite. I haven't had an issue with clotting since, being on a good diet that includes K. Only when Pua had her illness she fell ill then as part of that had peticial hemorrhaging and internal bleeding. The vet gave her vit K but it didn't seem to make any difference. Then Stewie, his body attacked his stomach lining and he bled out that way.

I did talk to the pharmacy once about getting K to keep on hand but they only had a big pill that had other vitamins mixed in because it spoils fairly quickly and people don't normally buy it but one lady was using that type so they carried it. Since it spoils I didn't special order it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Trefoil wrote:Anyway, have you found a mate for Pua?

We're working on that now. The new yearly limits for exporting from Guyana don't come out until mid September so we are in limbo till then. Hope it wont be to late in the season for a nice young male. There are no domestic ones available now. Always seemed to me most of the imports happen in June despite the limit being set in Sept. But I didn't have the money in June due to some vet bills and such popping up. I have the purchase price plus some emergency funds in the bank now and am all set and am trying to be patient about it.

She really does need a mate. She was moody this spring and early summer but is doing better now. She's back to playing wildly and climbing all over me.
bajacalal

Postby bajacalal » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:30 pm

That was a very good post (from the 21st). May I suggest that you consider adding something like it to your website. It's like a brief version of your FAQ. You covered most of the common questions I think people would have about owning these in a way that is very brief and easy to understand.

It seems like they would make pretty good pets for many people if they just didn't have so many care problems and uncertainties related their diet and health.

Incidentally, I swear I saw a picture of Pua used on a flier for an exterminator company. I'm going to try and find a copy of it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pua

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:10 pm

A bit late but Pua's Halloween video
http://youtu.be/A4Nid_XdOuU
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Pua

Postby pat » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:50 pm

love it. did she put holes in that pumpkin by herself?
if so, WOW, she has some strong jaws, especially for the size of her mouth.

what did she dress up for Halloween this year?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “INSECTIVORES”