PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Silky Anteater?

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Nirvana

Silky Anteater?

Postby Nirvana » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:00 pm

OK, I bet we all saw it on Cute Overload, ha ha ... Anybody know what was up with that one? Was it owned by a zoo or being rehabbed? Anybody know of private breeders working with these?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:12 pm

I hope it was and attempt at being rehabbed and they didn't just catch it and stress it out for cute tourist videos.

Silky anteaters simply do not survive captivity.

It's probably a mix of diet and stress but if we knew why we could fix it
and they would do well. They usually don't survive long and those that
survive initially seem to have shortened life spans. According to ISIS data
their is only one pygmy anteater surviving in a zoo. I forget which one
though.

I think a big part is stress. Seems to me they don't tend to show their
stress externally very much and people handle them to much mistaking that for tameness. Though tamanduas do a lot of hissing and will defend themselves more I've notice a tendency not to show a lot of stress externally, like when we traveled, yet it did effect them. They are more fight and flight. Pygmies seem almost possum, not a lot of fight, rather hide, play dead, or run(they move slow).

I was upset by a clip from a movie where the fellow was handling one that looked nearly comatose but did have it's claws up by it's face(their kind of pathetic threat move, the one in the videos did this some) and said it was normal and they just sleep all the time(okay wasn't a documentary but the idea that that was okay was expressed). From the films I've seen they just don't do much to defend themselves or fight back, so could easily be to much handling, thinking they are okay with it. But we can't rule out diet. I don't know the history of how all of them have been handled. I think it's one animal best left alone unless the rehabbers figure out how to keep them and share the info.

Return to “INSECTIVORES”