PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Armadillos

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:16 am

Thanks again for your help. I know I asked a lot of questions but I really want to know as much as I can before I take one into my care. Another thing, you mentioned something called Leaf-Eater in you care sheet. What did you mean by this; I am not familiar with the term. Oh and 800 dollars is just a wee bit too steep for me. Thank you for taking the time to look though.
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:04 am

It's a primate diet by purina(Mazuri sub-brand) that is used because it has K in it. I am not impressed with any of their diets
https://www.mazuri.com/PDF/5M02-5672.pdf
Notice the very high amounts of vit A in it. It's no wonder people are seeing problems mixing leaf eater and cat food. It was a good step compared to some of the old diets and made for better survival and longer lives but with those longer lives they are now seeing the effects of vitamin and mineral overloads.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:40 pm

Hmm I think we need to come up with our own nutritionally complete commercial diet for these critters :D. It seems that every comm diet that Ikve found has drawback (like too much A or calcium). I know what you mean in your care sheet how difficult it is to find good information on these types of animals. I found several sights (and even one was supposed to be an "expert" on dillos) that said canned cat food will give them all the nutrition that they need. Um do you have any ideas on how to provide the little thing with simulation (I.e. a place to dig) without too much cleanup for me. My home is relatively small an I'm just trying to figure everything out right now. Would a deep bin work? Or maybe something like a dog whelping box filled with dirt? I figured I could fill my bath tub up a couple time a week and let it splash around and play. I've been trying to sign up for your yahoo! Group but my computer is being stupid. I will try again today.
~Mariah~
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:16 pm

You could get a Rubbermaid stock tank and fill it part way up with dirt. They are 300 gallon contains and up. Drill some hole sin the bottom so the dirt can drain and one could play in there and not be able to climb to sides on nice days. I brought are greenhouse tomatoes into my room when it got to cold and Pua had fun digging in them all winter. They finally all died so I got rid of them the other day and to my surprised there were a bunch of earth worms in their. A dillo would really love that. I guess they got in it when it was in the greenhouse because there were drain holes drilled in the bottom. I had them in an old litter tray. If you use earth and keep it moist then it will have worms to dig for.

This litter pan would be great for a dillo because it would be easier to get into.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/2572766965/
The pan is in a fridge tray. You can get them at home dept. Either called a fridge or washer tray for appliances that may shed moisture. It contains what is dug out of the tray and the wood that she claws up I put there too.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:30 pm

Demolishing the last of the tomatoes
BB

Postby BB » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:40 pm

I wish you could bring her over to my place to get all those pesty termites out of my trees... :lol:
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:59 pm

Oh wow i would never thought of using rubbermaid stock tank! that would be perfect because i have one in my garage.i haven't been able to find anything on what exactly they need for nutrition. Like info you found based on the stomach contents of wild tams
~Mariah~
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:22 am

let us know if you get one. I've always wanted one. A friend went to Louisiana a couple of times to help with the Katrina reconstruction,he laughed at me when i asked him to bring me one back.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:51 am

Me to growing up there was an "armadillo pet store" I never saw their dillo though guess it died before I ever went there.

I need to get Pua a boyfriend this summer. If they pass that stupid "Invasive species" bill it could potentially ban any and all exotic imports into the USA. So no new animals except a boyfriend.

Anyway Dillos are prohibited in the state would need to get a special permit for a potentially invasive species.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:51 pm

I will keep you guys up to date on my dillo progress but it will probably be a couple months before I get one because the trapper guys have yet to get back to me so I may have to contact Don (he has all the permits) and go down there and get one myself. And I will if I have to. Oh and mary, would human supplements be ok for dillos? That way I could supplement B12 without having to worry about all the retinol in liver.
~Mariah~
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:30 pm

I am general against supplements(in the manner of vitamins/minerals) because they are synthetic and isolated, not how the body was meant to process things. the nutritional yeast is high in b vitamins especially B12. The blackstrap molasses also has B vitamins and a good mix of vitamins and minerals. Beef heart is also a decent source of B12.

The occasional egg yolkss will give B12 too. Give probiotics and logs that have had ants and termites in them. The gut flora is important. The bacteria in termite guts produces B12. Letting them have termite poop out of the logs is a natural probiotic for them.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:05 pm

I haven't been able to find anything on if I need a permit to own an armadillo in Wisconsin (I don't think I do) but I was also wondering if you knew who I need to contact in order to get a permit to tranport exotics over border and who I would need to contact in order to get a permit to be able to trap an armadillo in Florida. I can never seem to find anything on this kind of stuff, I guess because I don't really know where to look.
~Mariah~
Trefoil

Postby Trefoil » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 pm

did you look in the State Laws & regs section of this forum? If you scroll down someone has posted a link to the state laws. You could also try & call your Dnr, if they aren't the right place, they will tell you who is. I don't think dillos are considered an exotic.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:47 pm

In my state you need to contact both the wildlife dept and the state ag dept. The agriculture dept issues the import permit and says what tests if any need to be done before importing.

You shouldn't need a permit to trap one in Florida because they consider them an invasive species. We have invasive nutria here and you can trap and kill them all you want but not sure about keeping them. you can keep wildlife here you catch long as it's not protected in someway(many things are).

Contact Florida Fish and game. They are the ones that cover exotic pets and wildlife there. Usually you don't need an export permit from a state just the health certificate.

what you sometimes need to worry about are the states you a passing through on the way back. Like a guy with gators was coming from CA to some other state he had all the right papers for CA and the state he was moving to. He was stopped on the freeway in Arizona and they confiscated all his gators because he didn't have a permit for AZ. I think PA is like that too. Most states allow for just passing through but not all.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:09 am

Okay it looks like I have alot of people in alot of states to get a hold of... This little dude better be worth it! ;) These are the states that I would have to get a hold of: Wisconsin, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, maybe Georgia and Florida. Fun, fun, fun. :D What if I can't find a vet qualified to give my dillo(s) a health certificate? Anyway do dillos need alot of humidity like tamanduas? And in your care sheet you mention fish in the gourmet diet but not in the list of ingredients. Is fish okay to feed them?
~Mariah~

Return to “INSECTIVORES”