https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Daily nutrition requirements for armadillos

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 26, 2009 8:26 pm

I know but I like the autopsy term better. Not everyone even knows what a necropsy is. Plus humans are animals so autopsy would just be a form of necropsy except I bed the autopsy term was coined first so necropsy would be a type of autopsy.

But lets try the dictionary

Autopsy: An autopsy is a postmortem assessment or examination of a body to determine the cause of death. An autopsy is performed by a physician trained in pathology.

Necropsy: (′ne′kräp·sē) (medicine) To perform an autopsy.

So there :P lol

It's like tame is a type of domestication(by dictionary definitions) Necropsy is just a type of autopsy. Both words mean the same thing vets just decided to use Necropsy to distinguish it from a human autopsy but in reality the words are interchangeable. It's a socially excepted norm in certain circles but not a true definition. If you asked a 100 random people on the street in the city they couldn't tell you what a necropsy is so unless I'm talking to a vet I use the more socially recognized word.

Veterinary Dictionary: necropsy
Examination of a body after death. See also autopsy.

WordNet: necropsy
The noun has one meaning:
Meaning #1: an examination and dissection of a dead body to determine cause of death or the changes produced by disease

Looks similar to getting info on anteaters when I started, not exactly accurate. Oh my the number of diets back then that suggested milk and they are lactose intolerant. To cover for that instead of fix the diet people said loose poops were normal, ugh.

Oh since you will be in touch with a armadillo vet make sure you learn from him the best way to get blood from them. I know it is quite a difficult matter with anteaters but have got word from a real expert that examines a lot of wild ones that from certain veins under the tail near the anus is the best bet, still not an easy task.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Wed May 27, 2009 9:16 am

Ok I guess you win lol :D I just prefer the word necropsy so there lol ;)
(asked a few people and they had no idea what it was :roll: )

I found one of the studies but not the one I wanted
Initially, we purchased adult armadillos, but these adaptedpoorly to the conditions of our indoor animal house, and therewas a high death rate. Later, we accepted only young, half-grownarmadillos, which tolerated captivity far more readily and hadalmost a 100% survival-rate.

Here is the link to that one:
http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:VGNOPYelV_IJ:www.aalas.org/pdfUtility.aspx%3Fpdf%3DCT/36_03_06.pdf+study+leprosy+in+armadillos+housing&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

What size indoor cage should the dillo have? It would only be in it while I am away or at work and have free roam of the house most of the time. I was thinking 2 feet high (since they can't climb), 4 feet wide and 6 feet long. Will that be ok? It will have a hide box, litter box and a dig box. I also have to make room for two opossum cages so I hope it won't have to be too much bigger ;)
~Mariah~
http://mariahsexotics.weebly.com
Currently taking orders for 2012 silver fox kits
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Fri May 29, 2009 2:50 pm

HyzenthlayForesight,
I came up with a couple recipes for the dillo and I would like your opinion on them. I think I may have gone a little over-the-top on the first one but I think I did ok.
Here they are:

2/3 cup waxworms
1 cup mealworms
3/4 cup crickets
1/2 cup earthworms
2 1/2 cups silkworms
1 1/2 cups ground beef
1/2 cup beef heart
1/2 cup beef liver
4 1/2 cups fresh spinach
1/2 cup fresh thyme leaves
1 cup red beans
1 cup flax seed meal
1/4 cup plain lowfat yogurt
1/2 cup apple cider vineger
3 tbsp bee pollen or nutritional yeast
4 tbsp blackstrap molasses
8-10 tsp cell tech algae or blue-green algae
3/4 cup orange slices
1/2 cup mashed banana
4 tbsp kitten milk replacer
6 tbsp wheat germ oil
3 cups insects
1 cup flax seed meal
1 cup fresh spinach
1 banana mashed
1/2 of an orange
1/2 cup boiled liver
2 tbsp wheat germ oil

These two recipes are to be made in bulk and the extra frozen. Do you think I need to take anything away or add anything to either? I tried to do alot of research on the first diet but it is difficult as I do not know exactly what they need nutritionally. Like I said, I think I might have gone a little over-the-top with the first one but I think I like it.

Of course I will switch some ingredients around so the dillo does not get board but I think thses are a pretty good start. I wanted to include as many, and as many different kinds, of insects I could as they are insectivores lol. I buy insects in bulk anyway to feed to my geckos.
~Mariah~
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 29, 2009 6:07 pm

suki'smom wrote:What size indoor cage should the dillo have? It would only be in it while I am away or at work and have free roam of the house most of the time. I was thinking 2 feet high (since they can't climb), 4 feet wide and 6 feet long. Will that be ok? It will have a hide box, litter box and a dig box. I also have to make room for two opossum cages so I hope it won't have to be too much bigger ;)

Missed this before. It sounds reasonable to me. They do not need to climb but can climb if motivated. I used to have a picture of one that had climbed up a fence.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 29, 2009 6:36 pm

A good start looks pretty good since you are relying on insects mostly as they would wild. but I'm not sure about the liver. It is very high in retinol though I had tried using it at first before I learned more.

You can try to track down this study looks like it may have what you need. http://www.cababstractsplus.org/abstrac ... 9811426150

High iron needs noted(might have seen this)
http://www.scielo.br/pdf/bjb/v69n1/14.pdf
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Sat May 30, 2009 4:58 pm

The only reason I included the liver is because it is high in B12. That is why I included the wheat germ oil, it is supposed to suppress the absorption of retinol.
~Mariah~
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 30, 2009 9:16 pm

E helps inhibit Retinol so yes the WGO is good but liver isn't needed. Though dillos eat some vertebrates so get a little more retinol that anteaters. there is really almost none in the wild anteater diet then the diet is really high in E so seems they need hardly any retinol but most diets give them lots.

Liver has 70mcg of B-12 per 100 grams
Brewers/nutritional yeast has 133mcg per 100 grams of b-12

I buy nutritional yeast in bulk at WinCo foods.

Caratines get changed into retinol by the body only if the body needs it so plant based food that claim vit A do not have retinol(real vit A) but have cartines that the body makes into vit a but gain only if needed. So plant based A is safe. Cats can not convert caratines into retinol and that is why there is so much in kibble. Pua's sole source of retinol is her cheese treats. I sometimes blend wheat germ oil(WGO above) with her blue cheese for that reason.
suki'smom

Postby suki'smom » Sat May 30, 2009 10:47 pm

Ok I will remove the liver, saves me money lol ;) I'm still doing research into the ingerdients so this diet may change around some.
~Mariah~

Return to “INSECTIVORES”