Anyone ever owned an Aardwolf?

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone ever owned an Aardwolf?

Postby Ash » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:39 pm

They're really cool, and I've been researching them lately. I got curious because at Ken's Exotics site he has one for sale. I think I may want one sometime, someday in my future. I've heard they're nice and eat insects. They're like miniature hyenas but not carnivorous. However, I also heard they smell like skunks (it's kind of unfortunate that all exotics usually have that quality!).

Anyway, so has anyone ever had one of these guys or known someone who has? They sound really interesting and I'm just curious if anyone can add any other interesting info.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anyone ever owned an Aardwolf?

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:22 pm

Haha. I take it no one has owned one since my post hasn't been answered yet! :lol:

If I get more interested, I'll look up some books and call up some zoos. I just think they're fascinating little guys. I wouldn't want one anytime soon, but maybe I will someday. They're pretty neat. If you don't know what they are, you should google them.

icon_biggin.gif So fluffy!
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:45 pm

Nope not had one but would love to some day. I did know someone who had a striped hyena before but they are more omnivores just look kind of similar.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:45 pm

A hyena would be very awesome to have--but it would make me way too nervous to actually own. I've heard they can be quite aggressive at times (I suppose like most exotics). But aardwolves are supposedly very friendly. I was reading in a zoo carebook about them, and they say they can be housed with primates and meerkats. That sounds like a pretty friendly animal to me! They seem quite skittish, kind of like foxes.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:00 am

Aardwolves are in the hyena family too.

Striped hyena aren't the same as the spotted hyena most think of as hyena. They're smaller for one thing.

Aardwolves are even smaller though about the size of the purple dog with the striped hyena there.
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:26 pm

My daughter who is 6 wished I would let her have an Aardwolf, in September of this year we went to the zoo and the Aardwolves were next to the bat eared foxes so we were both happy hehe. My better half wants a hyena some day, a spotted one though I don't know how hellish they are to keep. I have been told they are even bigger vandals then wolves though I am unsure if this is true.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:16 am

Before AP went bad there was a Growing up Hyena(or maybe it wasn't part of the growing series as I can't find any info but something like it if not).

This guy bottle raised the male spotted hyenas for his education shows. He'd keep them with older lion cubs. As the hyena got older it would need to be removed from the older lions as it would become to aggressive and dangerous for them(several lions vrs one younger hyena). He then would carefully work them back into the hyena pack.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:54 am

I think hyenas are beautiful creatures. I've never seen either a hyena or an aardwolf in "real life," but those woud be pretty cool to see. Their proportions are so interesting! I love how their back legs are shorter then their front legs, and I also like that they have really long necks. :)
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:13 pm

Hehe, it's amazing how the animals at Ken's exotics can make us want something. Ever since I saw the pictures of their hyena pups, I've fallen in love with the idea of having one. I'm not sure when I'll get it because I also want to eventually own a wolfdog, serval, kangaroo/wallaby, and skunk (and those are just the animals I consider beginner exotics! After that, I want more)

Lol, I want too many animals

Aardwolves seem cool too
JNS

Postby JNS » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:21 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:Aardwolves are in the hyena family too.

Striped hyena aren't the same as the spotted hyena most think of as hyena. They're smaller for one thing.

Aardwolves are even smaller though about the size of the purple dog with the striped hyena there.
One question.... Why is this dog purple?
Peppy: "Fox do a barr..."

Fox: "Peppy! I am tired of doing barrel rolls!"

Peppy: "......"

Return to “INSECTIVORES”