Insectivore or Hyenadae?

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Insectivore or Hyenadae?

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:46 pm

Hello, so I was just researching state animal laws for the heck of it, and I came across an incongruency I think.

Suppose I wanted an aardwolf. They are insectivores, but are generally included as part of the family hyenadae.

So if the law says hyenadae are prohibited, but insectivores are not, then....?

I suppose I'm more asking out of mere curiosity. If I ever really was considering an aardwolf, I'd call the state and find out for sure. But what do you guys think?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Insectivore or Hyenadae?

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:51 pm

They used to be in the family Protelidae, but since they're the only species in that family, researchers decided to group them with hyenas.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:24 am

They are insectivores by diet but when listing species banned it is by the species, family or order(like often all primates are banned).

Like say pandas are vegetarian by diet but they are carnivores by their order. They wouldn't be exempt from a law that bans bears or exotic carnivores(if you could actually get one).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:16 pm

It amazes me how knowledgable you are, TamanduaGirl! :shock: Thanks!

Return to “INSECTIVORES”