Question for TamanduaGirl

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Question for TamanduaGirl

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:05 am

Hi! So I was at exoticanimalsforsale.net and I saw that there were quite a few people selling tamanduas. It just made me curious how you obtained yours. Did you get Pua when she was a baby? Or did you buy her when she was older? Are they like most exotic animals in that they only bond with one person, and you need to obtain them when they're young?

I suppose I'm just wondering because maybe ten-ish years down the road I may wish to have one, and I was surprised how many people were selling them. Do you think they're all legit sellers? There were quite a few sloths as well; I was very surprised.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question for TamanduaGirl

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:56 am

Many of the people selling there have more than one name they post under so there are not as many sellers as it looks. Plus most are brokers for the importers or owners rehoming theirs. I've heard word the Paraguayans(vested) were a one off deal and they only allowed export this year so no more coming in next year. So the supply will once again drop. It has been a bit saturated with supply of tamanduas this year compared to most.

There is some difference in the subspecies so if you get a vested and want a pet then you need a baby. Eldorado did calm down and continues to do so. Just recently he play chased his keeper for the first time but he still tends to play to hard. His play to hard is OMG and left me with bruises.

You can make a pet out of an adult non-vested(Guyana) but younger is better. Pua was about a year when I got her as she was cycling already but did grow some. Stewie rehomed to me at 8 months and he was amazing and sweet to everyone at the airport but he was captive born. I've seen many Guyana adults brought in that are nice and calm but they are less likely to want to cuddle with you and such.

Now Mandua surprised me when he came on breeder loan because he went into a serious depression for a long time. He eventually came around and played with me but he was happy to be home once he returned and settled right back in. So even though the Guyana tame down easy they obviously don't always rehome as well once they have bonded to a family.

Pua is a momma's girl and not to fond of anyone else. Stewie(captive born) was more out going.

Ten years from now you may have a better chance of finding a domestic born/bred one that is by far the best option. People are having more and more success with that. Stewie was Amazing. Pua is awesome too but she's a spoiled girl, wants to sleep all day and more easily upset though she's also been through a lot, nearly dieing from an illness, then loosing her mate. She used to sleep snuggled in bed with me till Stewie died.

The difference is when I brought Pua home she was scared and smelly(from fear and illness) and threw a fit first night home in her cage but turned clingy and sweet fast. But picked Stewie up and he wanted to come out of his crate at the airport. Put a coat on him and let him have an orange while everyone at the airport said hi. Then he played with me and kissed all over my fingers on the ride home. Getting a domestic born is worth the extra price for sure. No taming down and you don't have to worry about health issues they often come with from the wild( though risk can be lessened by choosing the right importer).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Question for TamanduaGirl

Postby Ash » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:21 am

Thank-you so much for always being so willing to answer my questions. I'm wishing to become an animal educator, so I'm always interested in different types of animals. You are a wonderful source of information.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “INSECTIVORES”