Tamanduas kill dogs?

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tamanduas kill dogs?

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:06 am

I read that they were considered nuisances where they're from because they've been known to kill dogs. Sure they have sharp nails, but I can't exactly see them succeeding against a dog... Is this true? I would think it would have to be a small dog. Or is it just extremely rare? And if they have attacked and killed dogs, how was the deed done??? (or how do you think it could be done?)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Tamanduas kill dogs?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:29 am

They don't attack dogs but Tamandua expose their belly as a defense mechanism to show their claws. Touch the belly and the claws go to work. They could kill a large dog with wounds to the throat or claw out eyes. I would think it's very rare though as they are quite often killed by dogs. But I've seen that commonly mentioned as one of the reasons people don't like them so at least a portion believe it. Many people seem scared of them.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Ah. Okay. That makes sense. Thanks!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:04 pm

There is a very old video with a giant anteater fighting a jaguar, and the anteater was pretty agressive, it would charge the jaguar and kind of lunge forward on its hind legs while doing a bear hug motion with its two front legs, like maybe to dig those claws into ether side of the jaguars neck or head and then rake with them.

I wonder if the smaller anteaters try the same thing, with dogs. Their front legs are supposed to be very strong.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:42 pm

They stand to defend themselves and when they feel the need will strike at a threat but they wont go chasing trouble.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:42 am

Was disneys "The Jungle Cat" that had the Jaguar vs Giant Anteater fight. That movie is from the bad old days and I would not be suprised if ALL the fights in it are staged.

Anyways, in that movie the Anteater was not shy. It sprinted after the Jaguar and lunged some. Just saw clips though, not the whole thing.

But like most predator/prey situations, Im sure for every Jaguar that is hurt or killed by a Anteater, a good 1,000 Anteaters become diner.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:42 pm

They will play fight with people or animals they are raised with in captivity, though mine don't warm up to animals some of them do. They will aggressively defend their babies and males with fight over females. If staged and they were locked in a room together on set the anteater then it would make sense too.

Return to “INSECTIVORES”