Aurora Pua's new lady in waiting

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aurora Pua's new lady in waiting

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:43 pm

Every princess need s a lady in waiting.
Aurora starting to relax a bit by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Been a crazy week. Wednesday had Hyzzie and Jake to the vet then got word that night of a tamandua in need of a home. We agreed to take it in hoping for a boy but got a girl. Got her home and saw we got a very pregnant girl. Big nipples, vulva and belly.

If comparing nipples to bullets using this chart http://www.info4guns.com/graphics/Rifle-Cartridge-Lineup.jpg Pua's are a 3 and Aurora's are a 53 counting bullet part only and not cartridge :) If Pua's vulva was a large olive then Aurora's would be a small kiwi fruit. She also looks like she may have had a baby in the distant past too.

We're sticking with only saying she needed a home so we can keep lots of positive energy surrounding her and leave her past in the past. Chasing tail did help us get together with Aurora so I got to play with a baby howler monkey.

She's now settling in drinking and eating a transition mix of blue cheese flavored food drink. She's in great shape. Fur is course and rough but she will be lovely once she sheds that. She had a lovely poop already.

Pua was acting like nothing was different aside from not going into that part of the room but last night curiosity got the better of Pua and she went to check out Aurora. She was so cute. Remembered Mandua pinching her feet so she played it safe at first and went from shelf into hammock above the cage and hung out each side first sniffing and checking things out before coming down onto the cage it's self. A little hissing from A when nose to nose but she eagerly sniffed Pua's rear and tail. Pua lost interest quickly and went to sniff at the window. Aurora turned in before P was even fully gone. Went well. No violence or real upset.
astargirl22

Re: Aurora Pua's new lady in waiting

Postby astargirl22 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:13 pm

awwww how stinking cute... and not to be dumb or whatever but why does it matter how big her nipples and vulva are? sorry for sounding dumb
~PROUD PARENT OF A SPOILED LITTLE SWIFT FOX NAMED BELLA AND A HANDSOME CHILL MARBLE FOX NAMED BARRETT~
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:40 pm

It's a sign of being in late pregnancy. When a friend sent me photos to sex a tamandua he rescued in Mexico I thought she looked pregnant by the looks of the vulva but only had goats to go by with experience so kept that to my self. About a week later she surprised him with a baby. Hoping for more time and that she does as well as his did. She's been through so much the longer baby waits the better.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:50 pm

in my experience it seems you have about 2 weeks before they give birth, once they start with nipples and vulva growing, depending on the type of animal. My goats that due in 12 days, just started "bagging up" her udder, and her vulva is looking kinda scarey. :lol: With my cats, the two week mark is when they really start looking the part.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:58 pm

Gestation time in tamandua is about the same as goats, about 5 months, so a safe guess that the time from starting to show like that to birth would be similar, but we don't know when she started to show so we may not have much time, still hoping for later rather than sooner.
astargirl22

Postby astargirl22 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:56 pm

pregnancy in all animals and especially humans is just so strange to me :nogif:
~PROUD PARENT OF A SPOILED LITTLE SWIFT FOX NAMED BELLA AND A HANDSOME CHILL MARBLE FOX NAMED BARRETT~
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:34 am

mary,

she looks so content and happy.

my experience with llamas, cows and donkeys for giving birth, is when you can pull milk from them.
but, can't remember how long after that when they gave birth.

think it was 2-3 weeks.

I am anxious to see the little one...
but, I agree with you, it is in her best interest, if her baby comes once she is more adjusted.

I hope her and pua turn out to be good friends, and "baby makes three" :mrgreen:
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:08 pm

I don't think she would be pleased with me trying to squeeze her nipples, lol, but I don't think she has any milk yet.

She now has 3 nest boxes to choose from.

Checking things out by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Aurora peeking out of her hammock by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

She's getting used to me and not as easily disturbed. Lets me touch her hands and head a bit and didn't even hiss at me when I bumped her today adding a nest box.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:55 pm

I think this is great that you have another tamandua. And now you may soon have three. :) Are you still planning on getting Cinco? Or does it depend on if Aurora has her baby?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Project Cinco is on hold till we see if she has a baby boy.

She got a little bit of out time last night when I changed her hammock
It looks like a climb bar but isn't by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
She did good but growls like the devil when I pick her up.

Comfortable? by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

More pics on the blog
http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/2011 ... e-out.html
kaylalk

Postby kaylalk » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:54 pm

She is gorgeous! I'm excited to see the baby pictures as well :bear:
Trefoil

Congratulations

Postby Trefoil » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:21 pm

Can't wait to see baby pics
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:52 pm

Aurora and Pua by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Pua's in the hammock since it was laundry day. Aurora tried to climb in with her to snuggle but Pua said no way and chased her out so she just stayed close.

She tried laying under the hammock but Pua noticed her sniffing the hammock so chased her off again.

Aurora and Pua by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Pua was telling Aurora off for disturbing her sleep so later Aurora curled up on top f the washer to sleep near Pua. When Pua got up later she ignored Aurora, just lifted the lid with Aurora on it and just got her treat and play. Aurora settled into the princess hammock and then was defending that and hissing at us for making noise but Pua would just dart past her to get from one side of castle to the other. So Aurora got to stay out.

Showing her baby bump
Aurora from side by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:59 pm

That pic of pua in the wash machine riminds me of oscar the grouch in his garbage can :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:55 pm

LOL. Never occurred to me before but that's a pretty fitting image.

Return to “INSECTIVORES”