PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Aurora's baby is born

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

ruscithil

Re: Aurora's baby is born

Postby ruscithil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:14 am

Congratulations! He is so cute! The mother is lovely, too.
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King
Puppycrush15

Postby Puppycrush15 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Congrats! What a lovely little baby. :eleph:
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:20 am

Hi TamanduaGirl,

Sorry for the late reply but congratulations on your new addition. He/She sure is cute. I have never seen a baby Tamandua before. So thank you for sharing photos and please continue to do so :mrgreen: .

My major question to you is this: even if the baby is a female why would you not keep her and get an unrelated male? I mean wouldn't the odds of getting a baby be good with a 1:3 breeding group? I am sorry if that is a stupid question but I know nothing about breeding Tamandua's. But I know that method of breeding works well with other mammals.

Lastly how did you get so lucky to rescue a pregnant Tamandua? I mean are there a lot of Tamandua in need of rescue :mrgreen: icon-sad :roll: ?

Again thank you for sharing the photos with us. He/She sure is cute :mrgreen: .
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:23 am

Thank you.

Well my friend had a baby born at her place just a few days before so we were thinking if hers was a boy and mine a girl we could trade babies later and I would have hoped Aurora calmed down and could stay since she's proven fertile. But if Cinco is cinco(fifth male) then he can be Pua's new mate and if Aurora doesn't stay get a young/baby female later.

My friend has every license and permit under the sun including the one that lets you have and breed endangered species. Basically the government called her when some animals needed placement and she offered the tamandua to me. We didn't even know the gender till we picked her up.

Here's the most recent stuff http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/2011 ... cinco.html
Includes a nursing video but it's really dark.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 am

Oh PS my friend was actually keeping hers in groups of 4. Three females to one male. She sold most of hers a few weeks back though because she finds shipping them to scary.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:50 pm

Dinner will not be interrupted
Dinner will not be interupted by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Pua was sleeping in her hammock and woke everyone with her crying. She wouldn't stop so I went and checked on Mom and baby. Aurora was upset by Pua so kept standing up but Cinco would not let his meal be disturbed and stayed latched on to that nipple. Yep, must be a boy, ha.

My best guess is Pua had a nightmare. Took lots of arm and had rubbing and treats to calm her down.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:02 pm

More baby photos
http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/2011 ... hotos.html

They are now out of the closet, full story on blog. I'm being lazy 'cuz I'm tired.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:12 pm

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:05 pm

Love this pic! He looks so feisty and definitely has attitude!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Feb 05, 2011 7:49 pm

He is getting feisty. He's been very active the last couple nights. Even starting to play a little bit. Mom moved back to the closet because the hammock ate her baby. He found his way into the pocket on the hammock and she couldn't find him. I found him for her but she would not settle in so I let her go to her preferred den.

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/2011 ... acket.html
Lots of photos

Aurora & Baby making their great escape by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Puppycrush15

Postby Puppycrush15 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:35 pm

And darn those tamandua eating hammocks strike again... :twisted:

The pictures of him are just too adorable! And Aurora looks like a very good mommy to him. icon-smile
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Thank you. Aurora is a great momma. A bit of a worry wart but I can't fault her for that. I'm a fretter too.

The best shot of baby.
Mom, I'd like a visit to the milk bar please by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

But I think the hugs and kisses photos on the blog are sweet :) http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/2011 ... eater.html
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi TamanduaGirl,

Sorry for my lack of responses but I love your updates on Aura's baby. First the photo of him on her back looking at the camera is a Kodak moment. Or a Hallmark Card moment. I just love that photo. The newest photo of him shows how much her baby is growing. How long is he? How much does he weigh? How old is he? Are you sure he is male?

Also I would be a major worry wart if I was you,with such an amazing baby in your home. I would not mind if Aura kept the baby in the closet as long as she took good care of it :mrgreen: :lol: .

Lastly do baby Tamandua normally ride on the mothers back? I think that photo was ultra cute as well. Sorry I know nothing about Tamandua if that was a stupid/basic question I apologize.

Keep the photo's and updates coming :mrgreen: .
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:10 pm

I didn't answer right away because I don't have all the answers. I weighed him at 2 days old and he was 14 oz but I haven't since because all seems to be going well and she freaked out when I had him. Aurora is a worry wart herself. She shakes like a leaf if I look at her funny and tells be off if she catches me eyeing baby. I can get away with handling him while she's eating though so can try to get a rough measurement of length. I'm still not sure on gender. I'm used to looking at adults and only get quick looks.

Yes, baby tamandua do normally ride on their mom's back. They can't pick up their babies to carry them like other animals(teeth or hands) so baby has to climb on board. At least I could answer one question. Oh and he was 2 weeks old late Sunday night. Born after 11pm the 23rd of Jan.

Here's last night's photo of him.
Baby tamandua by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Trefoil

he's getting cuter all the time

Postby Trefoil » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:34 pm

And looks like he's growing like a week. Aurora is indeed a good mother. Hopefully by her next baby she'll have grown to trust you.

Return to “INSECTIVORES”