PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Aurora's baby is born

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

amyers

Re: Aurora's baby is born

Postby amyers » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:56 am

It's so great that they can be mother raised and still be sweet like that. I've always hated taking babies from mama.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:42 pm

Such cute pictures! I take it momma is more okay with you holding him now?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:42 pm

She's okay with me messing with him long as she's otherwise distracted, like eating. She did take notice the other night when I was changing the bedding and the pad drug and made a noise but I showed her the bedding and she went back to eating. She accepts me as her maid.

Mommy is a jungle gym plus surprise ear cleaning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QDG1j07OFY
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:10 pm

Cinco playing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19m9IOjYZPs

He's playing with Aurora there but last night when I visited him he played with me :)

He still doesn't like when I change the bedding though.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:17 pm

Aurora reminds me of my mother, lol. :lol: I like how she won't let Cinco leave the house! That's so cute. I'm glad you take so many different videos. It really gives people insight into tamandua behavior.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:33 pm

I liked that part too. "I'm going out mom, see ya later" "No you're not" "Oh yeah, take that!"

Cinco says HI!
Cinco says Hi! by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

She moved the the hammock above the cage last night.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:37 pm

Hi Mary,

Your Cinco is so cute :mrgreen: . I am guessing you are now sure he is a male? I was looking at all your picture's on Flicker. I love so many of them. I am amazed how much Cinco has grown like when you look back at the photo's of him over the past month or so.

I have a few questions for you. One is Aura the same sub-species as Pua? Also what type of food is in the dish in one of the photo's that you called soup? Next where do you get those thousands of ants you have in the jars you have photo's of? Lastly since Tamandua can not bite, are they prone to racking you with there claws?

Thank you for answering my questions in advance and sorry if they are basic questions. But I am not a Tamandua expert.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:16 am

Yeah it's still hard to tell by the naked eye but when I was playing with him he rolled on his back a couple times so I felt over with my finger and it felt firm. My girls are adults but squishy boys got the extra stuff to feel firm. Felt kinda like one of my doggy's belly buttons.

They are both the same subspecies as far as I know. We were able to track her origins to a breeder in Guyana, though she probably was wild born herself. Pua was from Guyana too.

Aurora was only fed ant nests before coming here so I've had to improvise on food. I started with blue cheese mixed with water and vitamins then added infant formula and cereal. I've now weaned her onto just Pua's beef diet but it's still blended with water and I soak the strained out meat fibers in vinegar for a couple days, blend them then mix them back so she gets the nutrition safely. The meat fibers free floating in liquid can wrap around their tongue and they don't like it anyway. It has extra DE in it right now because her poops are still loose but she looks to have gained weight even while nursing Cinco so I'm not too worried. I'll get her poop checked when we got into town next week.

Pua gets her food "chunky" ground beef mixed up with the other ingredients and she claws bits to eat but the fibers are encased in the meat so I've never had any issues that way. I hate soup. It's more work and more messy but I can't see trying to force her to change now. She and Cinco may get weaned onto solid food together.

I had to dig to find those ants. http://www.aliexpress.com/promotion/21_ ... otion.html She really loves ant eggs best but it's almost double the price. Beats the other source that sells live ants 1,000 for $20. My estimate is there's around 100,000 of the dry ants.

You generally need to worry about them pinching you with the front claws more. They tend to whack you then pinch if really upset. So it punctures and it's like a bite. Aurora's not done that but yeah she will rake with her back claws when I pick her up. Pua does that too when I pick her up outside because she has better things to do.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:03 pm

Oh my goodness! Cinco looks so soft. Is he soft? Or are tamanduas coarse? I take it you're able to hold him a lot more often now without momma getting too worried?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:46 pm

Cinco is soft. The adults are kind of course but somewhere between a goat and a dog. When Mandua arrived I called him creepy soft. Apparently giving them regular conditioning baths will make them soft, lol. He felt normal when he left.
cat person
Banned
Banned

Postby cat person » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:28 pm

Hello TamanduaGirl,

I love all your photo's of your baby Cinco. Thank you for answering all my questions earlier in the the thread :D.

I guess Aura is getting better about you being able to handle her baby? Is he still nursing off his mother? Or is he eating "adult food"? Is Aura still eating that soupy mixture? Has Aura calmed down and more used to being a "pet"? Or do you feel you will need to possible rehome her? Do you know if Cinco is truly a boy/male yet or not?

Lastly how is Pua with all this?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Droopy tired baby Cinco by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

I've got enough for a couple more blogs but might not get to them today.

I've still not tried taking baby from her except when I pealed him off her butt when she couldn't find him. I pick him up when she's left him or the other night he got scrapped off when she was climbing up behind the sink and I got him and returned him to her.

Yes still nursing. He's not eating food yet though he did have some fun with a tomato skin Pua left, she just sucks he juice out of them.

Aurora is still getting soup though I'm giving it thicker and it is now just the beef mix blended. I soak it a couple days in vinegar first and it softens the meat fibers and blends up nice.

Aurora is very sweet in that she's never struck at me. I can pick her up and carry her by her arms though she still does claw with her back foot. I can touch and pet her even when she is growly. But she spends all her time while walking around hissing and growling and most of her awake time even if she'd just getting up to eat. I don't know if that's just her personality, will be better once baby is grown, or she is just that unhappy. I'll will likely try sending her to my friend since she still has a pair and see if she is happier there as a breeder loan at first. If she's happy I'm sure we can work something out, maybe a trade or partial trade for a baby girl for Cinco as Pua gets older. If she's just as hissy then maybe try her back after she's bred and go from there after her next baby but I'm think she would be happy there.

Yes Cinco is for sure a boy. Oh he just got out of the hammock and drinking some water.

Pua is okay with it but she and Aurora are not friendly.
ruscithil

Postby ruscithil » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:39 pm

They are so adorable. Thanks for sharing all the pictures and videos!
"The truth about stories is that that's all we are." - Thomas King

Return to “INSECTIVORES”