Aardwolf Breeding

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Aardwolf Breeding

Postby Ash » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm wanting to breed aardwolves in roughly three years (maybe more). I've done as much research as I can without actually ever interacting with them. I need to start visiting zoos and talking to people who have worked with hyenas.

I've determined it will cost me around $21000 to get a facility up and running with a pair (this does not include the price of the property I would need). This is just the initial estimated cost.

I would be an education facility as well as a breeding facility.

I've gotten quite a bit of experience with wildlife where I intern, and I'll get more as the years go on. I'll have my fox, and I'll be talking to people in the meantime as well as visiting zoos and hopefully individuals that have them.

Aardwolves are fascinating, and I think someone ought to start breeding them into the US pet trade. They're beautiful, and they're not dangerous like hyenas have the potential to be. They seem a lot more like a fox personality-wise and habit-wise.

If you have any input or suggestions, I'd love to hear. I'm willing to do all I can to try to have experience with these creatures and to learn as much as I can. If you have questions, I would love to try to answer them, just in case my research has missed some of the facts or I've overlooked certain things.

Thanks, and all input is welcome: positive, or negative.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Re: Aardwolf Breeding

Postby Juska » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:15 am

That sounds interesting. I've always been fascinated with Aardwolves as well, I've always wanted to see one up close but I have never seen one in captivity.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Image Image

Image Image

This one is fully grown and shorter then my collie! Far more fluffy then I expected but she did live just outside and it was snowing the week before.

They have a funny habbit of digging a hole to pee + poop in and it's not a shallow hole, about a foot deep! The enclosure looked very funny with all these holes.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks so much for posting the photos! They're beautiful animals, and I feel like you did a great job photographing them. :mrgreen:

As for the digging: my current plan is to bury chainlink two feet deep, and then cover it all back up with dirt. I also want a large mound of dirt for them to climb up and down on and dig into in a corner of their enclosure.

I should upload my enclosure designs and show you guys what I'm currently thinking regarding size and structure. I've gone over it with my dad (he does construction) and we've figured out the price for all the materials I would need. I'll have to post the pictures and then have your input on whether or not it would be sufficient.

Thanks again!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:55 pm

If you have or have owned insectivores, have you ever tried out the Mazuri diet? It seems it would be healthy for all insectivores--from tamanduas to aardwolves.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:38 pm

No and having one insectivore diet for all insectivore is like having one herbivore diet for all herbivores or one carnivore diet for all carnivores.

It's got to much retinol for tamandua to much CA the CA:Pos rato off which all leads to spinal problems. Protein is kind of low etc etc. Mazuri is made by Purina. It's got chemicals and ingredients I don't like to see in kibble.

You're best off avoiding kibble. Try and find studies on their wild diet and make a diet that way. I worked out the tamandua diet based on the nutritional analysis of the stomach contents of wild tamanduas and made the nutritional content of my diet match as much as possible.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks. I'll look into that and call some zoos this coming week and ask what they feed their aardwolves.
Elina

Postby Elina » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:59 pm

Ash wrote:Thanks so much for posting the photos! They're beautiful animals, and I feel like you did a great job photographing them. :mrgreen:

As for the digging: my current plan is to bury chainlink two feet deep, and then cover it all back up with dirt. I also want a large mound of dirt for them to climb up and down on and dig into in a corner of their enclosure.

I should upload my enclosure designs and show you guys what I'm currently thinking regarding size and structure. I've gone over it with my dad (he does construction) and we've figured out the price for all the materials I would need. I'll have to post the pictures and then have your input on whether or not it would be sufficient.

Thanks again!

Glad you like the photos :icon-wink:
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:35 pm

So here is my current enclosure plan. Obviously I have three years to make modifications to the design. I would love critical feedback.

The enclosure is designed for a pair of aardwolves--so only two. Aardwolves are monogamous and don't care for other aardwolves roaming their turf (maybe that's different in captivity? I'll have to see, I guess).

I've made modifications to it since, but I haven't gotten them drawn into the diagram. I want the enclosure to have more area--so I'm wanting to make it bigger. 15X15 would probably be suitable (which is what I have right now), but I would want them to be happy and able to run around if they want.

What length and width would you suggest for animals that have the same habits and tendencies as foxes, but are a bit larger?

[Just ignore the big red dot. That's just supposed to be a mound of dirt in which they can dig or climb up onto.]

I will be able to enter into the "A" section through a chainlink door. Section "B" is an enclosed area, completely sheltered from the elements. There are holes for them to go into section "B", depicted as small doorways in the design, as well as a door for me to enter through. The little box against the wall of "B" is a small compartment where I can place space-heaters during the winter in case it gets too cold. (They're not supposed to be exposed to temperatures less than 32 degrees; though, I'm sure they would be able to toleratae lower temperatures.) The space-heaters will effectively warm the "B" section--giving them a warm place to go if it gets too cold.

Since not much is known about aardwolves in captivity, I'm going to have to experiment with different techniques. In the wild they live in dens, but in captivity would they prefer nesting boxes? Or would a pile of hay in a warm sheltered area be a nice place to sleep? That's something I'll have to research and learn more about.

So anyway, let me know what you think. I would love critical feedback and responses to my current design. If you feel it's lousy, just say so. :mrgreen: If you have any suggestions, just feel free. I'll have a lot of time to rework any plans.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:40 pm

I guess I can't upload TIFF files. That makes sense. Here it is JPEG style!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 pm

I agree that 15 by 15 is way too small. My serval has 10 X 30 and it seems microscopic to me. I would make it at least 15 by 30.

And, they will probably have the dirt mound dug apart in a week, but, it will be fun for them untill its gone :rhin:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Thanks for the reply, Lasergrl. I think my problem is that I have a hard time estimating area. :roll: When I actually took a ruler and determined how big a 15X15 enclosure would be, I was like, "Gee... That's so much smaller than I thought..."

I'll have to go and see what a 15X30 would look like. Time to get the tape measure out again.

Fortunately, I purposefully overestimated the price of the enclosure. I was certain the initial design wouldn't be right or that I would find fault in it later (and what do you know? I already have). It doesn't set back any of my plans financially to increase its size, which makes me happy.

Three years is a long time. For all I know, I'll get my fox and think "Whoa... exotics are WAY much harder than I expected..." And that'll be it for me. I doubt it, but it's always best to think realistically. At the moment, I definitely want to work with aardwolves, and I'm hoping that that desire will persist over the next years. I really, really want to breed them and make them part of my life.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:52 pm

Keeping them in an enclosure outside eliminates most of the issues that make exotics "difficult". Aardwolves are rare, but available. I think you should go for it. What is going to take 3 years? By then they may not be available. Seems like you could have the enclosure done in a couple weekends, and the money is the limiting factor really.
Chainlink panel enclosures are cheap and quickly built. I put my servals together in a couple hours. Granted his didnt need anything buried but still. Its good that you are overestimating but I think you will be pleasantly suprised with how easy and inexpensive it will be.
BTW craigslist for fencing is a bonus....
Might also consider the "goat/horse panels" they sell at tractor supply as it is alot stronger and more flexible design styles. You would have to make a wood frame though. They are perfect for burying too.
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:55 pm

Here is another great thing.

http://www.houndheater.com/index_hound_heater.php

You can have this inside of a smaller denbox. This eliminates the need for the space heaters. This is what my serval has.
You can put the denbox in your sheltered area.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:57 pm

Thanks, Lasergrl. Your words are very encouraging and supportive, and I really appreciate them. Thank-you.

Oh, believe me. I would love to start as soon as possible. The thing is, is that I do not own my own land. I'll be living in a rented house for the next year or two. [The landlord is okay with me having a fox since I'll pay extra for rent.]

In short, I would be willing to go into debt for the property, but not for the facility. True, it would be a business venture. I think it's okay to go into debt for starting up a business, but I would have to ensure that I could pay it off soon in that case. If I continue through with my "three-year plan" I would only be in debt for the land and not the facility. I could steadily pay off the loan for the property over the next years.

If my aardwolves were not a successful pair, I wouldn't have any puppies to sell, in which case I would need to have more pairs imported and more enclosures built.

I imagine if the aardwolves had a litter (average is three pups), I would be able to earn back all that I spent on the facility, and then over the years work to steadily pay off the land. It's risky business in my opinion, so I want to have the money before I make the commitment.

No one anywhere is selling bottle-raised Aardwolf puppies into the pet trade, so I could/would charge more for the puppies than what I bought the adults for; that's assuming there would actually be buyers who would be willing to spend as much as I did; if not, the price may have to be lower, though I'm pretty confident if someone were selling aardwolf puppies in the US they'd be snatched up rather quick by exotic pet owners.

So, in short: Property I will go into debt for. But I do not want to go into debt for a risky business venture. I would rather spend the money on the animals and enclosures than go into debt for them--since they're not guaranteed to breed.

But thanks again for your words. They were very encouraging and helped me feel a lot more confident. I would love to obtain the aardwolves as soon as possible, and if I could gain the money quicker, I would definitely not wait the three years.

Return to “INSECTIVORES”