PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Aardwolf Breeding

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Elina

Re: Aardwolf Breeding

Postby Elina » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:19 pm

The aardwolf I took the photos of lived in a pretty small enclosure, about 10x30 but that was just for her. She seems okay but bored out of her mind! She had no toys and no natural 'things' in there, it is just grass. . .

From what I have been told they can't climb so you may be able to save some cash in the height of the enclosure. (In one of the photos you can see the fence is only about 4ft tall. They also, bar digging seem to be allot less destructive then foxes as also in the same photo you can see there is normal fencing along the back(as in the wooden kind).

I can ask them more about them if you would like? I am there often enough.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:44 pm

Wow, thanks Elina. That was very useful. I knew they couldn't climb--but there are cougars, bobcats, and coyotes in the area in which I live, and I wouldn't want to risk anything somehow getting in and killing them--or people stealing them for that matter. I want a top on the enclosure just to protect against those possibilities.

Thank you for your kind offer. If it wouldn't be too much, could you ask them what they feed their aardwolf; like, what diet they have their aardwolves on? I've been researching harvester termites lately (their natural food source) and determining the nutrients found in them and the other things they eat, but it would be really nice to know what other people are feeding their aardwolves.

Thanks. You're very helpful.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:42 pm

I read online that in some states an area of 200 square feet is okay for a single hyena. (Personally I think that's quite small...) I got out the tape measure and I think I'm liking a 32X48 enclosure--or, 1536 square foot enclosure.

What are your thoughts on the matter? Aardwolves weigh 20-30 pounds and stand at 20 inches to the shoulder. That's roughly the size of a spaniel dog (give or take some inches, but about the same weight for the smaller breeds).

How many aardwolves would you say could live comfortably in a 32X48 enclosure (without taking territorial behavior into account for the moment)? My guess is maybe three or four...

But if I want to keep breeding pairs separate (for territorial purposes), I would have two 24X32 enclosures--which would be 768 square feet for each pair.

These sizes sound pretty good to me. If they sound adequate to you guys, then I will begin a new design of the enclosure and re-evaluating material costs.

--Elina, I've been rethinking the height of the fencing. If I made it high enough (like five feet or so) then that should be able to keep out dogs and coyotes without any problem. I would be worried about bobcats, but maybe if I had some sort of guard dog on my property it would deter any felines if some were to come by--though I suppose bobcats avoid people anyway. I suppose in the case of humans stealing them, I could always have a security system.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:37 pm

Barbe wire around the top slanting on and out in an upward V will keep out pretty good. Anyone willing to scale a fence with barbed wire will more likely cut through the fence instead, if trying to take the animal.
amyers

Postby amyers » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:09 am

I don't know that a guard dog would deter a bobcat, they're pretty fiesty little guys. My 30 lb bobcat wants to kill my rottie-mix. I know a dog would do nothing about a cougar, ours sees the giant shepherds in the area as play-toys.
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:32 pm

Anatolian shepherds kept in pairs can and do attack and drive off all predators including cougars. You have to remember that our exotic cats are raised with the dogs so arent as afraid of them as wild ones.

I would think your divided enclosure size is good, 24 X 32 is very good for a pair. Just remember to make the divider solid so the pairs see and smell each other less. The large enclosure size and the privacy of the pairs all will help in breeding success.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:04 pm

Alright, that makes me feel good regarding the dimensions of the enclosure! Thanks for your replies. I'll start redesigning, and hopefully in several days I'll have a new design to post.

I've been going back and forth on having a top on it, and I've decided that I AM going to keep the top. The aardwolves will be way too costly of an investment to risk it--plus it would just help me sleep at night, knowing that they're safe and secure from other animals. Even if cougars and bobcats would not come by, I'd forgotten about raccoons. They could come by, climb in, eat whatever "food" is still there and if they got aggressive with the aardwolves, I'm pretty sure a raccoon could do a pretty good job killing them.

So yes. There will be a top to the enclosure. That means to cover that large amount of area I'm going to have to have support poles. I think I'll actually be pleasantly surprised at how much it winds up costing. Whenever I look at materials, I keep getting surprised to see that they're never as expensive as I imagined they would be. The worst, worst part of the project will be DIGGING the two-feet under ground to put in wire or chainlink. That just does not sound fun at all--especially with the enclosure having a much larger area now.

The more I think about this, the more I think I really could manage it all sooner. The only thing that may hinder me is the fact that the aardwolves may not breed for several years or never at all. Despite the money issue, I may want to see about getting them in the next year and a half, after I graduate. Then I could devote my time to the business instead of school. We'll see...
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:05 am

I'm feeling pretty good because I found a zoo packet on hyenadaes. I think it was compiled by the San Antonio Zoo, LA Zoo, and Disney's Animal Kingdom, or it at least quotes from those sources often enough. It's very useful, and it suggests a 400 square foot enclosure for a pair that gets along. In that case, my aardwolves will be living better than zoo animals. :mrgreen:

It also has a recommended diet as well as some people to contact if the reader has questions regarding the food or alternative diets. It even has a section on how to bottle-feed and hand-raise the pups--what to feed, how often, how much. It also suggests ways of introducing pairs in order to successfully breed them. It's pretty much the Bible for hyenas and aardwolves.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Do you think the aardwolves would be more comfortable being able to see outside of their enclosure? Or would they be better off not being able to see out?

If I used livestock paneling, I would have to have wood built up around it so they couldn't escape.

Could I use chicken wire covering the paneling instead? Though I know chicken wire is relatively easy to break. Or maybe something similar, but stronger? They'd be able to see outside of their enclosure in that case.

Which do you think would stress them least? Being able to see everything going on outside (whether it be people, animals, or cars) or not being able to see anything (and feel claustrophobic and restricted?). Which would lend a better atmosphere for breeding?

Zoos, I imagine, have imported their animals since there aren't people actively breeding and raising aardwolf puppies--except for zoos themselves. And their aardwolves seemed to do just fine in an environment where they can see outside of their enclosure, and they're even been quite a few successful breedings in zoos. If you were to breed your animals (I know it usually depends on the species of animal as well) what would you do? Able to see out? Or completely contained?
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:24 pm

Okay I asked my friend and he said he will ask the people that give them it as he has no idea whats in it but it looks like loads of dried bugs he says. (Not like that will help hehe) Shall let you know when I do :icon-wink: .
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Thank-you so much, Elina!

I've actually made quite a bit of progress myself on their diet. I've learned of several zoo diets here in America that have/had aardwolves in captivity. I have an extensive caresheet and it lists contacts as well. I'm meaning to get around to calling the zoos and seeing if I could talk to the people about it--I've just been extremely busy.

But I'm trying to find as much information as possible. I really appreciate your willingness and your help!
amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:53 am

Just out of curiosity, would something similar to the tamandua diet work since their wild diets are pretty similar?
Proud mom to 11 domestic cats, 3 dogs, 2 bobcats, 3 servals, 2 cougars, 1 Siberian lynx, 1 squirrel, and counting!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:19 am

I don't think so. From what I've read, they are much more difficult to feed than tamanduas. Studies were done at the San Antonio zoo (I believe that's where...) to figure out a good diet for them. I imagine if they could eat what tamanduas eat then no one would have bothered to try to develop a diet for aardwolves by experimenting with their food. I want to make sure I'll be feeding them the best I can. I want to know that they are getting everything that they are getting in the wild.

I know that some people online recommend the insectivore Mazuri diet for them. But I also haven't heard of any zoos using the Mazuri diet for their aardwolves--which makes me veer away from it. We've mentioned the Mazuri diet earlier in the thread and there are quite a few problems with it nutritionally for tamanduas anyway--which is also a red flag to me.

TamanduaGirl pointed out something to me that's pretty obvious but I had just overlooked: "...having one insectivore diet for all insectivore is like having one herbivore diet for all herbivores or one carnivore diet for all carnivores."

Since I have found a diet specifically for aardwolves, that's what I want to feed em. Experts have done all the studies about their diet in the wild, so the hard part is done. All I have to do is figure out which zoo diet seems healthiest.

But thanks! I really appreciate any and all advice! :mrgreen:
amyers

Postby amyers » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:22 pm

That definately makes sense. I was just wondering. Would you mind posting your diet when you come up with it? I love learning about how to feed different species. icon-smile
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:55 pm

I found this really recent video on youtube. It's the only video I've been able to find of someone actually interacting with an aardwolf. I'll need to go to the Cincinnati zoo and see if I could pay to have an interaction with one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLZDfKn0FmM

Seeing this just makes me impatient. Can't stand waiting.

Return to “INSECTIVORES”