PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Aardwolf Breeding

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Whatsername

Re: Aardwolf Breeding

Postby Whatsername » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:07 pm

This is super awesome, Ash! I'm excited for you just reading through this! I wonder what kind of pets they make... Definitely one I'd be interested in someday. By the time I'm out of college and getting exotics, you will be well into breeding... Maybe I can buy one from you? ^^ My boyfriend thinks they're super cool too. All your planning sounds awesome to me. I can tell you care about this project and as long as you have that, I'm sure everything will fall into place with some hard work. It's really cool to see a new pet develop, you know? Some day aardwolves may be as common as pet foxes, and I can say I know where it all started. :D
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks! :mrgreen: I love them so much and would want to get started soon. All I'm waiting for is my own land and then I want to see what I can do. I'm trying to find more "accessible" exotics so that I can save the money from breeding them for my aardwolves. Then I would also have practice with bottle-feeding and raising little ones.

I've wanted some fennecs for a while, and I think they would be a good start--they're exotic, in reasonably high demand, I like them, and I know people here who know everything about breeding them. However, I think that toucans would be a really good investment as well for breeding purposes. Most people don't realize you can have them as pets (I have yet to find somewhere that does not allow them) and they are the perfect pets: cuddly, quiet, affectionate, intelligent, etc. I like the keel-billed ones and would get those if I were to get any.

But thanks for your enthusiasm. :) It's much appreciated!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Man Ash, if only Cincinatti were a liiiitle bit closer. It's four hours away from where I live, lol. The only zoos I frequent are the Toledo and Potter Park zoos. Potter Park has arctic foxes and red pandas, and I'm going to apply for the teen zoo keeper program next year, so. :P
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:50 am

Toucans are great! I've seen a couple wild ones in Costa Rica. We also went to this waterfall tour up in the mountains in Costa Rica and the place that put it on was beautiful and they had a blue and yellow macaw and a toucan. We got to hang out with both of them, hold them and take pictures and everything, they didn't even charge us like they would in Cancun or touristy places like that. The birds were really friendly and everyone loved them. I'll see if I can find the pictures to share. I wish I knew what kind of toucan it was, but maybe you'll be able to tell.
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 pm

Ash-

I am not sure if you have talked to any Aardwolf owners but I wanted to let you know I found this site:
http://www.Chasing-Tail.com/
On the side where it says "Exotic and Domestic animals we breed and keep as pets" it has aardwolf listed, but no link. But maybe you would want to contact them and talk to them about it. I'm not sure, I just wanted to let you know ^^
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:36 pm

Oh if she has some I will so need to see them when I am there.
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:58 pm

Are you planning a trip there, TamanduaGirl? I am assuming they have some... I don't know why they would lie on their website. :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:08 pm

She's a friend and yeah I'm finally going to visit and then go on a trip with her but she has lots of animals and not all are listed on the site and doesn't talk about them all. I suppose yeah if they are listed there she has them. she's just never mentioned them.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:31 pm

Oh, that would be amazing if Chasing-Tail had aardwolves. TamanduaGirl, you HAVE to let me know if she does have any. It would be great to talk to someone who owns them and I may even want to visit her if she has them (that is, if she's alright with that).
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:47 pm

Hey Ash,

Anytime I see something about aardwolves I think of you. :D So since I saw this I thought I'd post it and let you know. I don't remember if you said you knew about this or not, so I decided to post it just to be safe.

http://www.myspace.com/kensexotics

This is Ken's myspace page, and I noticed he has a listing and price for wild caught adult aardwolves. It's not on the main page, so I'm not sure if you knew about. If you did, sorry xD But I wanted to let you know.

They're actually priced cheaper than I expected... I'm not sure what you were expecting but for a wild-caught animal I would've thought it'd be more. So I guess that's good. ^^
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:52 pm

Ken's the guy I'm getting them from! :mrgreen: I've spoken to him off and on, and I've told him I want to purchase some in a couple of years. I asked him to let me know if ever any importing restrictions were going into effect--I'd have to buy them a lot sooner in that case. (Which would be horrible timing, but would be exciting at the same time, lol.)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:54 am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/borisje/3931885457/in/faves-51158623@N05/

Another cute video of a captive aardwolf I found. There really aren't too many of those. It looks like the same aardwolf in the pictures Elina posted earlier in the thread.

I can't wait until I can get some.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:16 pm

Lasergrl wrote:Anatolian shepherds kept in pairs can and do attack and drive off all predators including cougars. You have to remember that our exotic cats are raised with the dogs so arent as afraid of them as wild ones.

Ok this is a old thread but while reading through it I wanted to comment on this.

I was reading about Dholes/Indian Wild Dogs at some point in the past and it was documented a SINGLE Dhole traveling down a forest trail came across a full grown Leopard. The Dhole immediately charged the Leopard who lifted its tail straight up in the air (defensive messure) and sprinted away and eventually up a tree.

Moral of the story: Cats have a natural fear of canines who , working as a pack, can and do prey on even the largest tigers. The leopard in the above documented case was experienced enough to realize that though only seeing one Dhole, others were proably nearby and she would be overwhelmed and eaten.

My opinion about the aardwolves is a bobcat won't jump in with two or more of them together, with a cougar they'd be killed I'm sure. My personal experience with bobcats is that they are NOT AS SHY in the wild as people make them out to be. They WILL come and kill something right behind your house and they WILL stalk and initiate an attack on prey with you standing right there, this happened to me.

I am going to agree that two or more true livestock guardian type dogs will keep anything away.
veralidaine

Postby veralidaine » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:59 pm

I'm not a huge bird person but I definitely want a toucan. I would love an aardwolf too. Heck, I want everything haha
The Herper

Postby The Herper » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:03 pm

There hasn't been much activity on this thread in while so.....

How did go? Are you still planning on getting an Aardwolf?

Very interesting animal icon-smile

Return to “INSECTIVORES”