The anteater Family

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

The anteater Family

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 pm

Pua and Aurora play sometimes now. Pua always grooms Aurora but Aurora never grooms her back. Guess I know who's dominate.

Pua and Ori kinda get along but Ori is super independent and rarely likes to play with others or hang out at all. She doesn't even play with her mom a whole lot. she just likes playing on her own.

Anteater hit and run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D77wYfc_vXM
Pua tries to ride Ori http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2TRLeRIbGU
Pua play with Aurora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLbgL_I5VWY

I'll make it better *kisses* by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Wanna hear a secret? by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Pua forcing Ori to play
You will play with me by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Hugs by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Three anteater pile up by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

We'll be going on a trip with Chasing Tail on the 16th(Pua and me).

Road trip

Then come back in Oct with a new male. He's a strawberry blond weanling I will name Epic. He's still on baby soup and will suckle any willing females though he should have quit by now so I may try to get him onto a bottle a day for awhile for a good bond but he's people friendly already.

I really love the name Epic so if anyone steals it I will :chair: I've had plenty of time to think of the perfect name and it's been an epic journey trying to get a male and he sounds like the perfect fit so he should live up to his Epic name.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The anteater Family

Postby Ash » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:29 pm

Ori has gotten so much bigger! "monkshock: That's great that Aurora and Pua finally get along. I really like the pictures of them.

Epic is an excellent name! I didn't realize you were going to pick up a male on the roadtrip. That's really exciting. Hopefully the girls will give him a warm welcome. :icon-wink:
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Whatsername

Postby Whatsername » Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:38 pm

You're taking Pua on a road trip? O.o Huh. I wonder how that will go. I don't really know anything about tamanduas so I can't say. Do you think it will stress her out, or is she used to travel?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:04 am

I'm a little concerned but I think she'll be fine. She went with me to Canada once and I used to take her to work every day when I had my own store. It was like 10 hours to Canada. She got to go with Stewie then though. She was a little freaked at first because I thought she would be hungry so I put them in the bathroom with some food at the hotel. Poor girl sat there frozen, like OMG where am I? Stewie ran off to play. I brought her out to the main room and she saw him play and figured it was fine and joined in.

It'll be just her and me. The others are staying at Chasing Tail's they got a nice enclosure set up for them there. Pua's really bonded to me though. Before she found the washer she used to sleep with me and hug my hand all night. So she should be okay with me there. She's fine with car rides. She'll just be a bit put out to have her routine of sleeping in the washer and running around the house messed with.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Ash wrote:Ori has gotten so much bigger! "monkshock: That's great that Aurora and Pua finally get along. I really like the pictures of them.

Epic is an excellent name! I didn't realize you were going to pick up a male on the roadtrip. That's really exciting. Hopefully the girls will give him a warm welcome. :icon-wink:

Thank you. He's one of Chasing Tail's babies so I'll be picking him up just before going home. I thought about taking him with us but he's not traveled before and there's too many things that could go wrong.

Yeah hopefully they let him into their clique. Ori is the tough nut to crack. She took a long time to accept Pua but eventually followed her mom's lead. She still will growl Pua out of the nest when she tries to join them sometimes.

Hopefully now that Pua is used to the girls it wont take her as long to become accepting of the new guy.

Aurora will likely be the easiest one. She really wanted to be friends with Pua at first but Pua didn't since she'd been alone so long. Once Pua changed her mind she had a lot of making up to do to get on Aurora's good side.

Pua and Aurora hanging out by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Oh also there was some talk of maybe having her golden breeder male room with Aurora and Ori during their time at the anteater spa. So if that's still on and we're lucky with the timing she might get knocked up again.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:51 pm

Went to peek at Ori while Aurora was eating this morning and she was sleeping comfortably next to a pillow, a furry pillow, wait I didn't put that there, oh it's Pua. They all slept together last night.

All three sleeping together. P&O switched places from when I first looked
We are family by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Then Ori and Aurora switched positions a bit later.
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:35 pm

I think it is SO great that they are getting along, especially after Pua's refusal to get along with the boys.

I can't wait to hear about your road trip when you get back, the list of places you are going sounds amazing.

Is it easy to take a 'Pua' as my other half calls Tamandua across America or are there states you have to avoid or special papers you need? I am curious for when I move over as you my other half and I need at least one 'Pua' in our lives hehe.

Epic is an EPIC name, I really like it. I love how all of your males (and Ori hehe) have had names with meaning.
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:04 pm

Most states have pass through clauses for long as you are just passing through and not stopping in the state but you really should check first anyway as some don't. Some can be strict, Like AZ, PA and some others will take your animal for just passing through with it. Surprisingly CA has a pass through law, they give you like 48 hours or something to pass through but happily we are not going there.

She's got Monkeys with her so is taking care of all the permits so there wont be any issues. People are much stricter about monkeys. She's also done this before several times.

I think it helps to be USDA too as people will take that to mean your a professional and not just some nut with a freaky animal, even though in reality it doesn't mean much.

You need to get a state health cert no matter where you go. Pua has her appointment Monday. I was also going to ask her if she had something that can saw through her big nails. Since they don't grow normally(tapered/pointed) like they should I don't have anything that will cut through them only whittle away at them by nipping a corner then the other or the dremmel file. Plus regular cutter could crack the nail. I was hoping maybe a cast saw or bone saw or something would do the trick. Then maybe if we shape them they will even grow proper but doubt it as I managed to do that last summer and they just got blunt, and the same width whole way down again. Oops rambled a bit but everyone else has nice normal pointy nails that I can file or trim easily(aside from the squirming to get away).

All three in the nest by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
They keep switching around due to Ori getting up and coming back. Aurora was inside the house for a bit and just came out. Ori wanted to play so she moved to the end and pushed Pua to the middle "here you deal with her"

I caught the perfect shot of all 3 looking dirrectly at the camera but the battery died and it didn't save properly.

Oh and thank you about the name. I'm more excited about getting him than the trip but it'll be fun then the highlight of bringing Epic home at the end.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:07 pm

Oh and Pua means heart and she is my heart so her name has plenty of meaning.

Poor Aurora though her name was a road sign, ha. Going to pick her up was trying to think of what would be a good name in case it turned out to be a girl and we passed a sign for the town of Aurora. It's a lovely name anyway since it's the name for the glow in the sky at either pole(the added word at the end differs per pole).
Alynn

Postby Alynn » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:52 am

You know what the title to this thread made me think?

They're creepy and they're kooky,
Mysterious and spooky,
They're all together ooky,
The Anteater Family!

:peng:

:lol:

Well, they're probably not that spooky or creepy, but it just popped into my head. :icon-wink:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:24 am

mary,

your baby sure did grow. she is beautiful. of course so are the other two..
but, pua is special..

I love the picture of all three of them together.

of course, I enjoy seeing all the pictures and the videos.

I am anxious to see your new little boy.

thank you for the updates..
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:46 pm

That's cute putting anteater in the Adam's family song :)

Thank you. She did grow supper fast. Boys grow a lot slower.

I can't wait to see my boy either. The trip got put off due to an illness with one of her animals. I'm waiting to hear back about how we'll work it out now.

Pua and Aurora playing in Pua's hammock last night. This was a first and Pua was thrilled.
Pua and Aurora play in the hammock by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
the_unstable

Postby the_unstable » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:57 pm

The picture reminds me of that game where one person is supposed to do an action and the other person is supposed to be their mirror image. Or maybe they were getting ready to play patty cake.

Early congratulations on the new anteater :D I can't wait to see pictures when you get him.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Thanks. Things got delayed as far as getting him because Epic turned out to be an Epic perv. He was aggressive about his nipple fetish and pissed off the whole anteater colony trying to get to their nipples so he got put back with mom for awhile hoping she could teach him some manners and get him weaned.

Here's a blog of photos and video of Pua and Aurora playing.
http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/2011 ... -play.html
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

No Epic just a Fail

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:32 pm

So I mentioned here a big weanling we were supposed to be getting but, darn it's not gonna happen. Her exact terms were "he's an ***-hole" He's injured several of her girls now so will have to be placed alone. I know she knows the difference between normal tiffs and such since she has and has had so many and she's never had one be "such a freaking jerk" before, also her terms lol. Weird he sounded so people friendly but he's an "anteater hater" but still likes his mom.

Epic fail, darn. I'm still gonna use the name for whoever we finally get. I like it too much. Fail is just another chapter in this Epic journey.

But my girls are getting along swimmingly
Anteaters on Patrol by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

They appear to be on a mission by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Last edited by TamanduaGirl on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Forgot we can't swear, lol

Return to “INSECTIVORES”