ALERT:. PLEASE BE CAREFUL IF SOMEONE CALLS YOU AND CLAIMS TO BE FROM IRS, ELECTRIC COMPANY OR WHATEVER THEIR REASON MIGHT BE. LOOK AT THIS LINK FOR MORE INFORMATION:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=14621

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041
with the holidays coming up, the return percentage is higher.

Contemplating Ori's color - Tamandua Colors

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Contemplating Ori's color - Tamandua Colors

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jan 02, 2012 12:05 am

I've been noticing some changes lately in Ori and am starting to suspect she may turn out like this fellow in Japan.

She is slowly getting lighter and she is turning black in her collar and down her spine. If her vest keeps fading she will end up like him. I don't think there is even a term for it. Blond but with a black V(sorta). She's starting to get very shiny, like Pua, as her blond hairs grow in too. I'm jumping the gun but the signs are there.

Black collar
Ori hanging out in the new hammock by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Ear cleaning by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Black down her back
Ori tries to join Pua by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Her baby vest still hasn't faded away yet so we'll see. But would be cool. The collar and spine lines keep getting darker and more prominent though. It's like blond genes with an extra black mark gene replacing the brown vest with just a black partial.
Elina

Re: Contemplating Ori's color

Postby Elina » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:33 pm

That is pretty cool!
I very much look forward to seeing what colour she is when she is all grown up, how long until then?
So you think if she ends up like that she may be a cross between the vested and non vested or just that she has random markings? I am just curious as Pua did not seem to like the vested ones but maybe Aurora does. . .hum. . .
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
BB

Postby BB » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:40 pm

Am I wrong or is the anteater in the second pic hugging an armadillo??? :shock:
Elina

Postby Elina » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:19 pm

BB wrote:Am I wrong or is the anteater in the second pic hugging an armadillo??? :shock:

BB I think your right hummmmm. . .
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:54 pm

BB wrote:Am I wrong or is the anteater in the second pic hugging an armadillo??? :shock:

I didn't even notice! :lol:

I really like Pua's coloring best--but if Ori turns out to be that other color, she'll be really beautiful too!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:22 pm

Yeah there's a few armadillos there sleeping together. It's an odd place they display all sorts of species in one exhibit, tamandua, armadillos, ringtailed lemurs and fennecs sometimes too.

Maybe a year and a half, I guessing, on her color. It was longer than that before Pua turned fully blond herself. She may be an anomaly though. Chasing tail said she can usually tell if they will be blond around 8 months. Or maybe it's a difference between the rosy blond and the platinum(ultra) blond. Ori is almost a year. Stewie was turning blond but died at a year and a half and still had some vest. He was as light as Pua was at the time, just the vest he did have covered more and she was older than him. So maybe the platinum blonds change slower.

This was Stewie at 8 months
exploring by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Here he is at about a year and a half and his vest seemed to be fading
Did you call me? by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Yep this tastes of termites by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

And with Pua at the time she was just about a year and a half older than Stewie maybe.
Pua goes for the kill when Stewie lets his guard down by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

I'll never know for sure on Stewie but you can see his colors were still changing and he was very light especially if you compare him to a pic of Aurora. Ori's arms and head are very light and her rear and legs are getting there too and all the blond hairs are very glossy. It's more dramatic in person, especially if you get her in the sun.

"So you think if she ends up like that she may be a cross between the vested and non vested or just that she has random markings"

Thinking more that she just has an odd marking type. I wouldn't go around calling her a cross but it's interesting to consider now that you mention it.

There have been a few odd color patterns that had people wonder if crosses were happening. It could be either but a cross isn't very likely based on captive behavior of the two subspecies. Bearing in mind though that the vested were all interested in the light it was just the light that weren't willing so if a wild young blond was desperate the vested female could be willing. There are also two other subspecies of vested but they aren't very close geographically to Guyana. They might get accepted better. It's also possible there are differences the tamandua can smell between Paraguay vested and Brazil vested even though science calls them the same right now. Safest bet is still just on it being a weird color type. Though a V instead of a full vest is a common variant in the vested. I do know that zoo has both types.

This is a subspecies range map but they actually over lap a lot.
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File: ... la_map.png

Pua's subspecies is green. Eldorado's would have been red based on his country. Eldorado was from Paraguay. All the others are black vested besides Nigra(AKA: longicaudata. Long-tailed tamandua). I still prefer longicaudata over nigra as nigra originally was used to describe the melanisitic variant.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:51 pm

Some other tamandua colors

Rosy Blond
Not so perfect photo of same color http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-w5mRAcO9LEE/T ... audata.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And seems to be but hard to say for sure with this angle http://zooinstitutes.com/animals/2249.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Baby Image

Black(melanistic)
Tamandua tetradactyla by wquatman, on Flickr

Out of control vest, almost black(Abundistic)

Brown with no vest

V neck
http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlonschmidt/4256600058/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Silver/gray, this is normally a baby color that fades
Baby Image

I just don't want Ori to turn out like this

Then there was mandua. Not to be mean but he wasn't exactly handsome
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tamanduagirl/5064015490/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:18 am

And since the other photos were a week ago here is Ori now, not that there is a huge change.
Ori log time by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

She looks much nicer in person the blond hairs tend to fade out and looks blah on camera. They are all mixed in her vest area at the moment but in person they catch the light and make her seem sparkly.

This almost kinda shows it but unfortunately it also shows how fat she is, the little lard butt. You can see it better on the larger version.
Ori log time by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:19 pm

That's funny I was thinking how pudgy in that pic. Its funny you wouldnt think an insectivore could get pudgy! I guess hedgehogs can be.
Those melanistic ones are so bizzare they are cool.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:57 pm

They look like a different critter when all black.

The most common problem people have is keeping weight on them and then there's my kids, lol. Aurora is a fine weight and Pua's a little plump butt Ori, oh my. I took her food bowl away today, partly because she was being a brat. She shares a bowl of food with her mom so it's tough to try and cut her back and not effect Aurora but since Aurora normally sleeps all day maybe it could help not leaving food out during the day. Will need to get her out for more walks this year even though she's not too interested.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Wow, those black ones are really different. Is it a color that sometimes pops up, or is it associated with a certain subspecies? Could captive anteaters in the US have a melanistic baby?

Ori is chubby! I hadn't noticed before until you mentioned it.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:12 pm

That first out of control vest one is an interesting color as well. At least I like it. :mrgreen:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:36 pm

Ash wrote:Wow, those black ones are really different. Is it a color that sometimes pops up, or is it associated with a certain subspecies? Could captive anteaters in the US have a melanistic baby?

Ori is chubby! I hadn't noticed before until you mentioned it.

Well it was originally a subspecies but now it's just a color. I don't know of any locals where there are large populations of black that would make it a candidate for subspecies. I think an argument for the two different blonds being subspecies could be made though as the rosy blond comes from the north, then you have the normals and then the platinum blonds to the south.

A melanistc gene could pop up anywhere but so far no. I know someone who knows someone with blacks in Guyana but he refuses to sell for anything so far but maybe someday he'll have extra and finally sell.

I would guess that all black is more common in the back vested as it can be related to the vest genes spreading instead of being pure melanistic. You could potentially get one with an all black coat that isn't melanisitic. So it could happen more often. Actually that first black might be that way he's got pink hand pads and light skin around the eyes and near ears. The other two, though photos aren't as good, look to have all black skin too.
Elina

Postby Elina » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:45 pm

I think it is so interesting to see all of the different colours. I agree with the others that the black ones look like totally different animals. . . Think I like Pua's colouring the best and on par with that is probably the vested.

Ori looks so huggable with that tummy, sort of like a teddy bear lol.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:45 pm

Yeah pudgy pets are so cute for some reason. Pua's perfect with her bear belly but Ori is over doing it. She's got jelly rolls.

I may just have stumbled across a way to diet her after all though. They've been going through 2+ bowls a night and that's a lot of soup. I froze the bowls with the bottoms part full of soup so they'd stay cold much longer. They just went through two partial bowls. Ori prefers her food warm so was pigging out after it warmed up. She only eats it cold if she's really hungry or if she can bug her mom while doing it.

I wont feed her during the day either. If her mom and Pua can go all day without eating then she can too. She's up looking for the missing bowl right now.

I feel mean but I need some tough love for her. I mean it about the jelly rolls. See those folds between her legs. That's fat and shouldn't be there. So I'd rather be mean than a bad owner.
Ori checking out the house by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Return to “INSECTIVORES”