Contemplating Ori's color

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Contemplating Ori's color

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:33 am

So I've decided I'm going to take Pua to the self serve dog wash if the owner will let me. She seems to really like Pua when I bring her in for Christmas photos. I've been thinking about it as there is a leash system in the bathing area so would make it easy and could enlist someone to film the fun and get a good bathing photo.

Plus I could try a whitening dog shampoo on her, they don't bleach just supposed to really clean the hair. I shampoo her multiple times at home and water keeps coming off orange, lol so her hair is always stained a bit. Want to see what she really looks like fully clean at least once.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:12 am

We wound up being really busy so I just bought some shampoo while out but I think there are better brands just not at that store. I scrubbed her at home. She could'a used a 3rd shampoo though.

Pua http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdw-fLVu9tw

The results
Pua after her bath by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

And Ori http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhzfBDGPzz8
Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:04 pm

Gorgeousss~

I need to find a good whitening shampoo for Lumi as well, so when you find a good brand let me know! Also the video of her getting bathed was totally worth watching. Glad to know all animals have the "no no! Let me out!" reaction.
Current Pets: Yokai the ferret, Lumi the shepherd mix and Arel the mutt dog.

Dream pet: An European badger, Raven, Cephalopods!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:16 pm

Wow, she's really pretty. I didn't think she would be that white. So do you think the blonds may be leucistic then?
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
sarajeku
Assistant
Assistant

Postby sarajeku » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 pm

Awww she's so pretty! I love white animals. I have my eye on a white glider. I wonder how much whiter she would've gotten with a better brand of whitening shampoo. So cute. :piggy:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:10 pm

Yeah has to be leucistic for Pua's color type. Actually I had forgotten about my old microscope photos of Pua's hair. It not only lacks pigment but appears to be hallow like polar bear hair.

Time for science - Tamandua hair end by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

While this looks reflective the light was coming from underneath so showing through. Plus once when I didn't take photos I had looked at a hair of hers that was damaged and had holes in the hallow shaft that made it look like it had bubbles.
Time for science - Tamandua hair by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

And here is a Quasi dog hair, who is a bright white. Since not hallow it does not let the light through.
Time for science - Quasi by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Actually polar bear hair has some pigment but it's inside so not seen. They tend to get yellowish too from being dirty(when not living on ice) http://alaskafurid.wordpress.com/page/2/

Pua doesn't have any pigment unless I get a short hair from her vest area as she dose have some dark base there.

Hyzzie and Quasi hair with a Pua vest area short hair
Time for science by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

I should maybe take some more and compare Pua's hair to Aurora's

Return to “INSECTIVORES”