Health issues

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Health issues

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon May 07, 2012 7:54 pm

I don't mind my pets being a bit plump as they have something for emergency but Ori has grown to having a stockpile in case of end of the world. So Wednesday Ori is going off to my friends for fat camp. We will tell her it's summer camp. She will have a girl and a guy to bunk with and we hope for a summer fling as well as her loosing weight.

She is very obese and can't be left like this. I felt she could loose weight quicker and easier there and then hope we can keep it off once she gets back. If not I may need to rehome her to where she can be better monitored to keep her weight down. Her's have free access to an outside area so that should help and better regulation of food. None of her girls are over 13 pounds max.

If she is somehow still getting milk out of Aurora that could be part of the problem and this will give them both a break.

Fat Ori by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Fat Ori by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

To compare her to Pua
Pua and Ori at the window by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Issue two Pua is going to have to go get her X-ray sooner rather than this fall(she was last seen last fall). A few times on the walk today she went tripod for a bit, not using her left back leg. That's not a pretty site. Back legs are to short to run tripod. Would clear up quick and was fine the rest of the time but not a good sign. She has always seemed to favor one leg a bit since I got her so possible it is just arthritis but I need to be sure. They are prone to spinal issues and I would want to try and find some way to stop it if that's the problem.

On the plus side I know how much x-rays cost now($55) cuz Quasi's long term murmur became chronic heart failure so that was about $400 all included and he needs to go back next month for a recheck x-ray. Meds could potentially buy him years though. Elderly pets are expensive.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Health issues

Postby Ash » Fri May 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Hopefully Ori will be able to work off some of those pounds! She is quite chubby compared to Pua. Any idea why she weighs a lot more than the other two? Does she just eat a lot more?

I'm hoping she has a wild summer and meets some nice boys, lol. :icon-wink:

Did you get the X-ray done on Pua? Or is it this coming Wednesday? What were the results?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Fri May 11, 2012 4:23 pm

That is really fat! I hope it was just from nursing. Hopefully a breeding will take with the extra pounds there.
egroegart

Postby egroegart » Fri May 11, 2012 5:16 pm

They are adorable.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 11, 2012 6:18 pm

I took Ori Wednesday but Pua will be seen this coming Tuesday. Really hope I'm just being paranoid or second choice of a touch of arthritis. It seemed to me like she's always had a little off gait in back since getting her.

I think Ori just eats a lot and learned from her mom to be lazy. I didn't think Aurora was still giving milk but it's hard to tell. If she were that would certainly do it. They don't bag up just were a bit bigger nipples, no boobage at all. They also only get their milk after the baby has been sucking for a couple days for all I know Ori's sucking caused it to come back in. They both can use this break I think. Either way she's a piggy too. She licked her bowl clean last night.

I'm considering having my dad make one of those large exercise wheels and try to train her to use it. I don't know if she'd be to old and lazy to learn though.

Here she's being bribed to gain her affection
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 11, 2012 6:27 pm

Thanks egroegart

Oh yeah the third health issue was Aurora, looks like I didn't mention it here. She was loosing fur. I thought it was going to be serious but the Revolution treatments helped after all.
http://www.livingwithanteaters.com/2012 ... ssues.html

Oh and though she looks pot bellied in some of the photos Aurora's not obese like Ori. She doesn't poop often enough. I have to up her fiber I think. I wonder if the fiber maybe gets broken down too much during the vinegar soak to make her soup. I'll try adding some after right as I'm making the soup.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat May 12, 2012 12:00 pm

mary,

sorry to hear about pua and ori.

:shock: orie is a little porker. still cute though.

is there something to give aurora something to stop the milk, if that is the case?
I think there is something for other animals, but, don't know much about it.

hope pua don't have anything serious.

how old is pua now? what is their average life span?
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 12, 2012 2:57 pm

I don't know that anyone has ever tried it on them. No way to be sure how a shot designed for another species would effect them. She should dry up while Ori is gone if she does still have any. Maybe Ori will have dropped the habit of suckling by the time she comes back.

Pua will be or is about 7 this year. The old average was about 9 years but the oldest was 19 years and a 10yr old had a baby a few years ago. So early teens if cared for well. So Pua is like middle aged 9+ would be senior I guess.

I'm a bit paranoid as I knew a lady with one had to be let go at 9 due to the spinal problems but she was feeding it on a cat food diet, which is way too much vitamin A. Too much A is the main cause but Calcium can be part of it.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sat May 12, 2012 5:48 pm

it is best to be safe than sorry for aurora. I don't know anything about stopping milk production.

I would think that if ori is not nursing, aurora will dry up quicker.
isn't orie too young to mate, or is time just passing me by that fast. icon-smile
can she come home an upwed mother. :lol: ?

I am hoping whatever the problem with pua is, will be minor.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 12, 2012 6:00 pm

She's old enough. They start cycling 8-12 months old but you wait awhile to be sure they are grown. She's plenty grown enough, just a bit smaller than the others in frame size. She actually started cycling at 6-7 months though, pretty sure 6 but when she was young she kept injuring her genitals so it was a little confusing what blood was due to what.

I think the premature puberty was a combo of being fat, though it wasn't as bad then, and the flax seed. I removed flax from the diet mix, it has female hormones in it. Other possible contributing factors I can't help like living near a gas station and highway(sources of chemical hormones).

Anyway she's a couple months shy of a year and a half but if you consider she hit puberty a couple months early I guess that evens out in a way.
Elina

Postby Elina » Sat May 12, 2012 7:34 pm

Golly I didn't think Ori was that big until the standing photo. When you just see her butt she just looks plump. Who knows her weight may be partially hormonal, that can happen with humans normally when they are pre-teens which I suppose Ori is.

I am sure that having a boy chase after her will help her loose weight as she will probably initially have no idea what the heck he is trying to do with her so try to run away. Once Harry had been well and truly rebuffed for the last time by Elspeth he tried his luck with Valla and she ran off and hid under my desk while Sprite chased him away from her 'daughter'. :lol: Ori has no Sprite so she will have to run allot more to avoid the male.

I must be honest though, I hope her weight means he can catch up with her :lol: . I guess he would have more to grab onto to stop her getting away so the fat may work as an advantage for breeding her.

Send Pua our love, hope she is okay. Keep us posted!
http://theflashmans.blogspot.com/ - Online home of Elspeth and Harry Flashman the Corsac foxes.
http://flashmanfoxes.webs.com - Photos and videos of my foxlings!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat May 12, 2012 8:45 pm

Yeah I knew Ori was chubby but didn't really realize how bad it was till that photo either. I thought it would be a cute shot but then looking at it the reality of the situation sunk in and I was too ashamed to post it till I'd made my decision about what to do. It was a hard decision to make but sending her off to "camp" seemed the best way to go.

The only mating I've seen was between Stewie and Pua neither experienced and Pua not helpful. She'd let him get her excited by playing then curl up and take care of things herself. The poor boy was left looking so confused. But she says she uses older males as they know what they are doing and get the job done. She actually said her one male can charm any girl quick but I'm willing to bet it does involve some chasing with inexperienced girls.

She met the other girl today and they have hit it off. It will be a few weeks till they meet the male as the other girl recently lost a baby.

Ori on all fours, the other female is standing
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun May 13, 2012 10:30 am

ori is almost a year old :shock:

wow, ori's little legs are even chubby.
hope the camp helps her.

is it possible ori has a thyroid problem?
I had three dogs that gained weight because of thyroid problem, but, they were older.
I have no idea if anteaters has ever had that problem.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 13, 2012 2:30 pm

Possible but probably not she seems okay otherwise. Now Aurora I've worried about more maybe thyroid or adrenal issues but there are no blood norms for that to test by on their species.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun May 13, 2012 3:55 pm

my dogs were all completely normal health wise.
they weren't eating more than usual, but,seemed to gain weight. the vet tested for thyroid, and come back positive. icon_confused.gif

you mean if the vet were to do blood work, there is not a way to find out if ori or auroa has
a thyroid or adrenal problem? I dont understand that one. icon_confused.gif

do you take ori and auroa for walks? I know pua goes for walks, rides and movies icon_biggin.gif
didn't know if the other two get walks.

Return to “INSECTIVORES”