Health issues

Anteaters, Armadillos, Aardvarks, Tenrec, Aardwolf, ect

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Health issues

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun May 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Blood levels are species specific, all of them. Just because dog thyroid levels are normal in a certain range does not mean all species are normal in that range. Dog, horse, cat, human, all have their own ranges. There have not been tests on hundreds of tamandua as would be needed to get norms for thyroid and adrenal levels.

They were doing tests to find normals for insulin and sugar levels to see how prevalent diabetes is in the species but I've not head of any results.

There is also the issue that when sleeping tamandua temperature and metabolism drop drastically. I would guess that would affect the thyroid levels and adrenal levels so there could be a really big range of normal from sleeping to fully active.

There are actually a lot of symptoms for hypothyroid some over lap with hyperthyroid too and many with adrenal issues. Advanced symptoms can be a bit more specific sometimes. Weight is just one of the most common early symptoms.

I don't walk Aurora because she doesn't like being handled. I think it would be more stressful and upsetting than fun. Ori got walked some but not much because she didn't want to, though not scared like her mom she didn't like it and would get grumpy. I should have made her more anyway, especially when she was younger to get her used to it. I made the mistake of being a little too hands off with her. I think she is healthy though just over weight.

Aurora has tremors in her arms, the eye/temple swelling, pot belly but not really fat(she's always been the thin one till I supplemented her recently), poops less than the others, abnormally high strung and easily scared and upset, very inactive, her vision is diminished as when she was up running around the yard at night last fall she kept running into things till I started shining a flashlight in front of her to help her see. No one else has ever needed that. Then the hair loss but the revolution seems to have helped.

Hypothyroid symptoms: http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Dog-Health- ... ptoms.aspx
Hyperthyroid is more common in cats causing hair loss: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/end ... 7Ab4MX5DyB

Adrenal diseases
Addison's, hypo adrenal: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/addisons.aspx
Cushing's, hyper adrenal: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/cliented/cushings.aspx

Symptoms for all vary a lot though and even more by species. Adrenal disease(cushings is common in ferrets, causing hair loss) In humans tremors are seen with hyper thyroid and cushings and eye swelling can be present for both but not terribly common.

We've discussed it with the vet but right now it's just a mystery and she is not getting worse. She just is that way. I don't think it's genetic since Ori seems fine. We don't really know Aurora's age so she could even just be old.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Pua's spine looks good. A hip xray would require somehow holding her still on her back for a few seconds, not gonna happen and not important enough to gas her. So I'll just try her on a joint supplement for now.

Pua Xray by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

I didn't do her tail though that part would have been easy. I was just happy her spine was clear. Now think maybe should have but if anything did show wrong in her tail it would likely be from damage not the spinal lesions(type of MBD). She uses it and grips with it just fine. If I really want to could do that next year.

She was a tired girl after wrestling the three of us to get the side xray of her spine
Tired girl by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr
Lasergrl

Postby Lasergrl » Tue May 15, 2012 10:14 pm

That is a very good xray and shows no spondylosis at all. You would almost expect at least a little bridging starting with her being middle aged. You must have her mineral ratios worked out pretty well. You can see a hair of her hips and they seem smooth. I bet her tail looks just as good. She has a very interesting GI tract! It seems very "short" compared to a carnivore.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Thank you. That makes me feel better that you agree. When she went tripod on her last walk it was just along one stretch that had gravel but was on and off along there. Maybe that was part of it but was always the left leg.

She's always seemed a bit off in the back end, just when she's running though. You can kind of see it in this video near the end she runs. Like the one leg gets a bit more use than the other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmIMfHegq-I

I don't know that much about their internal anatomy, though I'd love to know more. I have seen their stomach described as gizzard like. Most of the digestion likely happens there. Insects are kinda liquid food surrounded by fiber so they just need ground up thoroughly.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu May 24, 2012 12:11 am

I watched a video of Pua running and put it on .25 speed to see what is really going on. Proved I'm not imagining her off gate though it's not serious it's only when running and she's always done it. Her left leg takes a long even stride slower than the right. The right takes a short quick stride and bounces her way up. Guess she's maybe favoring her right foot and the tripod thing was maybe just gravel induced. She had been on the supplement a few days when I took her out and she only started showing her off stride, to my normal speed eye, after she was out and had been doing lots of running so that's an improvement.

Not worried about it now, just updating.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:39 pm

How is Ori doing with fat camp? Do you know if she's losing weight?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:49 pm

Yeah I really haven't bugged her for updates like I should but she got to go play in an outside compound where she could climb trees and platforms to nap on and spend the day, supervised but she forgot to bring a camera.

She's been playing with both boys she's housed with, her summer fling and the young guy.

Last report was she looks to have lost some though hasn't been weighed. I expect she should have lost a good amount with all the activity though. They take her out every day just so she has to walk and climb back inside.

She's to come home end of summer. I don't have a real date yet but I'm thinking that would be more like end of September. I'll have to ask her soon though.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:40 pm

So with a good round of revolution, small dog dose every other week for 3 doses, we seem to have fixed aurora's fur issues. Some of it's still short and she still needs more on her belly but it's all coming in.
Making faces at me by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

It's also coming in much lighter. She is sort of silvery in person aside from the staining on her neck and her vesting is under the rest of her fur so she's kind of turned blond but not as blond as Pua. You can see her vest when looking from behind because you see under the light outer hairs or like above we are looking up so under her hair and her belly is darker, Pua's belly is darkest part of her too.

You can almost mistake her for Pua now but side by side she is still darker than Pua, plus she is bigger, longer nose and legs and has an under"bite"
Checking out a log by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Aurora looking good by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Aurora coming fown from the play pen by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Aurora outside by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

More obvious it's Aurora here(the white tears are from being nervous, she's not been out for awhile).
Aurora behind the house by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Still she is so much lighter than when she arrived you'd not think she was the same anteater.
On top of the shelves by TamanduaGirl, on Flickr

Return to “INSECTIVORES”