Are Prairie dogs loud?

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

nadiv10

Are Prairie dogs loud?

Postby nadiv10 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Hi, me again you might remember me from my Mink thread. Well after a long search, I could not find a Mink at all so I decided to wait a little longer until I'm more established and can take enough time off college to dedicate the time it requires to even find a Mink. So I've started to look into prairie dogs, I did a lot of research on them and have concluded I have enough time to care for them and will be able to give them more than enough attention. However the one thing I haven't found out in my research is something my mother is very concerned about, are prairie dogs loud? In the videos I've watched while trying to figure this out the prairie dogs don't sound loud to me, but I would love a first hand opinion.

My mother believes that prairie dogs are called "dogs" for a reason, she is afraid they may yelp, bark or make loud ruckus something she does not want. Could you guys shed some light on the matter? Thanks.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Are Prairie dogs loud?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:38 pm

Well the ones I was around were not loud. They just made these sorta squeaks/whistles, but they weren't loud. I was just around them during the day on set but seemed to be their reaction to being startled by stuff going on around them so would think that might be near their max unless being attacked. Can't say for 100% though since that's my only in person experience.

I suppose they could make noise when digging if you have them in a cage but the right enclosure set up should help to prevent that.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nadiv10

Postby nadiv10 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Thanks Tamandua, this should help put my mother at ease. We already have three rabbits who dig at everything, including the carpet it hasn't bothered my mother too much she just doesn't like loud vocal noises. Would you say prairie dogs are louder than guinea pigs? We can have one of those too ( his roommate died and he's afraid of other guinea pigs that's why he is alone) and he can get pretty loud when he wants something or is happy, but no one in my home minds it too much.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:37 pm

I don't remember the guinea pigs sounds so much. But the PD's whistle actually seemed pretty soft to me, maybe was just those two though. Any way to visit some like at a pet store or something? I doubt there would be any problem since the guinea pigs were fine but if you could see some in person then you'd know for sure.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
nadiv10

Postby nadiv10 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:58 am

Thanks again for your reply Tamandua, we wont be able to see them until next week at the earliest. Our local exotics shop, wont have them until three weeks, but a nearby breeder has them now I guess we'll have to wait and see.
nadiv10

Postby nadiv10 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:06 pm

Oh and is 12 weeks too old for a pet prairie dog? That's around how old the prairie dogs from the breeder will be.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Well it's well after weening but they don't hit puberty till 2 years or so, so will likely be fine.

Found a nice care sheet that may help http://www.animal-talk.com/wp-content/u ... og-New.pdf
---
Mary

nadiv10

Postby nadiv10 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:45 pm

Thanks for the caresheet, this will be very helpful. They sound quite hyperactive but I love hyper pets :) Luckily for me I have an exotic vet right down the street, they cater to all sorts of animals, even foxes which is a rare thing in a suburban/city area.

Return to “RODENTS”