Petri the Flying squirrel

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Minty

Petri the Flying squirrel

Postby Minty » Fri May 12, 2017 12:37 am

Over the past several months I've been preparing, and just 2.5 weeks ago, I drove from Florida to Tennessee to pick up a 4.5 week old male flying squirrel. So without further ado, he are some pictures of Petri the flyer, listed from youngest to oldest http://imgur.com/a/NAfHg! icon-smile
Ana

Re: Petri the Flying squirrel

Postby Ana » Fri May 12, 2017 3:19 am

Okay, he is cuter than i have the capacity to process. He is unspeakably cute!!
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri May 12, 2017 7:00 am

really adorable. I don't know much about flying squirrels, but, wow, he is so darn cute.
thank you for posting the pictures.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Kagney

Postby Kagney » Fri May 12, 2017 10:38 am

Congrats on your new baby!
Ana wrote:He is unspeakably cute!!

:agreed: The pics of him passed out in your hand are just too precious.
I love the name too... Land Before Time reference? kudos! :lol:
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri May 12, 2017 2:24 pm

Love him sleeping in your hand. They aren't legal here :( So share lots of pictures :)
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri May 12, 2017 4:56 pm

The one in the pokeball is so darn cute! What an adorable baby. Congratulations! That's a long drive too. You must be thrilled.
Red fox (1.2)
Reptiles--many
1 amphibian
Peacefulward

Postby Peacefulward » Sun May 14, 2017 2:06 am

Adorable! Is he name does after Peter from "The Land Before Time"?

I don't know much about flying squirrels— from your experience so far, would you say they're similar to sugar gliders or squirrels?
5 Dogs, 2 cats, 1 leopard gecko, 1 guinea pig, 1 axolotl, and a coatimundi currently in my family. :)

Exotic "wishlist": red fox, mink, bat eared fox, jerboa, lemur (brown or white ruffed), egyptian fruit bat.
Minty

Postby Minty » Tue May 16, 2017 6:47 am

I'll be sure to update with new pictures every now and then.
Peacefulward wrote:Adorable! Is he name does after Peter from "The Land Before Time"?

I don't know much about flying squirrels— from your experience so far, would you say they're similar to sugar gliders or squirrels?

His name came from Petri Dish, I just really liked the name, and then after the fact realized how fitting it was due to the pterodactyl from Land Before Time :lol:

As for comparing them to sugar gliders, I've never owned one, but from what I've heard, here are some differences:
-They don't mark with scents so much, hard to say how bad it will smell when Petri is an adult, but right now it is practically scentless. Apparently sugar gliders can get a pretty pungent odor.
-They aren't as vocal, they make very high pitched squeaks, to the point that most of their noises are out of the range of human hearing. For example, my professors and most adults over roughly 40 seem unable to hear him at all :icon-frown:
-Though I'm sure Petri will become more temperamental when he hits puberty, the flyer owners I've talked to all seemed to agree that flyers tend to be more okay with coming out during the day. More adaptive I suppose. Whereas sugar gliders can be pretty cranky and make a crabbing noise. A woman I know who owns gliders remarked that he was much more cooperative.
-The diet is entirely different
-Flyers will chew much more, as they are rodents and have teeth that never stop growing.

However, there are plenty of similarities as well.
-Both have a patagium (gliding membrane)
-Both are nocturnal, tend to be calmer during the day and become very hyper/playful at night.
-Both are known to bond with people, sometimes a family but often one specific person above others, so rehoming is definitely a negative experience for them.

As for squirrels, from what I've heard, flyers are said to be milder and more amiable in general. Some Native Americans apparently kept them as pets. Regular tree squirrel have the tendency to become much 'meaner' during puberty, but it seems to vary quite a bit, so hard to say for sure. Their diet is pretty similar of that to a 'normal' squirrel (ie a grey), however they need more calcium since they have small delicate bones, like a bird.
Sorry for the long answer, wanted to be thorough and make sure I covered my bases.
TLDR: Overall I'd say they're more comparable to the squirrel in aspects such as chewing, caching food, and diet, while their basic anatomy (ie gliding membrane) is closer to a glider, and they are treated somewhat similarly as pets (ie some glider owners carry around their gliders in pouches, some flyer owners do the same).
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue May 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Thank you. It's nice to hear more about what they are like.

Only flying squirrel you can have here is the Japanese ones but they aren't in the pet trade.
---
Mary

http://www.livingwithanteaters.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “RODENTS”