PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Loose Rat

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

contessa20

Loose Rat

Postby contessa20 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:16 am

Last weekend one of my rats discovered a way out of her new cage. It was always during the day and we caught her within minutes of her getting out so it wasn't too big of a deal. I blocked up the area, zip tied the spots that could be a potential problem and she's been fine ever since. Sometime last night though, she got out again. Since it was night, when they're most active, she's gone. I have NO IDEA where she is. My house is relatively large so she could be anywhere. I have 4 cats who could hurt her and a number of other animals that SHE could hurt. Any tips on how to find her? I'm completely freaking out.
5 Cats (Scout, Shakespeare, Zooey, Apollo, Charlotte)
1 Rabbit (Harlow)
1 Hedgehog (Darwin)
1 Bearded Dragon (Mango)
1 Blue Tongue Skink (Dahlia)
2 Russian Tortoises (Vladimir & Ivan)
1 Leopard Gecko (Dobby)

One day I aspire to work with wolves.
contessa20

Re: Loose Rat

Postby contessa20 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:05 pm

WooHoo! I found her. She was hunkered down in the next room under my bed and it looked like she had been there awhile. Poor girl was so glad to see me. It's a good thing our cats are so desensitized to the other animals because 3 of the 4 slept in that room last night and 1 of them was padding around under the bed first thing this morning.
1 Rabbit (Harlow)
1 Hedgehog (Darwin)
1 Bearded Dragon (Mango)
1 Leopard Gecko (Dobby)

caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:15 pm

Glad you found her.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

Domestic Wishlist: dogs, cats, ferrets, donkey, mule
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:09 pm

I would suggest looking into a new cage if she's getting out that frequently. Better safe than sorry.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
contessa20

Postby contessa20 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Juska wrote:I would suggest looking into a new cage if she's getting out that frequently. Better safe than sorry.

She's definitely going to need a cage with smaller bar spacing. Oddly enough, she had been in a cage exactly like this with one of my other rats for awhile and she never got out. I bought her a cage of her own just like it since the two were just not getting along and now she can get out of both. :shrug: When we discovered that she had gotten out the first time I put her back in and stood there. It took me 4 or 5 times of her getting back out within an hour for me to figure out exactly how she was getting out. The zip ties worked for a week, but now it seems that she's figured out a new spot. I don't get it. Either way, a new enclosure is definitely in order. This girl is my 4th rat and the only one I've EVER had escape issues with. Ugggh. She's going to be the death of me.
1 Rabbit (Harlow)
1 Hedgehog (Darwin)
1 Bearded Dragon (Mango)
1 Leopard Gecko (Dobby)

Splashstorm

Postby Splashstorm » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:23 am

Good luck with finding a better cage! Glad you found her, and thank goodness your cats didn't decide to eat her. :)
Past Pets: Sea-monkeys, 7 Cottontail rabbits, a Wakin goldfish, 2 cats & a betta fish.
Wishlist: Malinois, Alaskan wolf, hyena, liger (& other big cats), Arabian horse, dolphin, & much more!

~RIP my Cottontail rabbit Brownie AUG 15 2011~
ImageImage
contessa20

Postby contessa20 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:00 pm

Splashstorm wrote:Good luck with finding a better cage! Glad you found her, and thank goodness your cats didn't decide to eat her. :)

:agreed:
Oddly enough, it is my Bengal/tabby mix cat that I trust the most around the rats and rabbit. She has zero prey drive and will lay right on the bed watching them play on my lap. From what I've heard others say about Bengals, I figured she would be the worst.
1 Rabbit (Harlow)
1 Hedgehog (Darwin)
1 Bearded Dragon (Mango)
1 Leopard Gecko (Dobby)

caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:07 pm

That's so cool that your cats and rats get along. I wouldn't leave them alone unsupervised together though.
Exotic Wishlist: high content wolfdog or wolf,low to mid content wolfdog, Coyote, Coydog, Black-backed Jackal, New Guinea Singing Dog, Red Fox, Gray Fox, Mink, Raccoon, Coati,and Kinkajou.

contessa20

Postby contessa20 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:35 am

caninesrock wrote:That's so cool that your cats and rats get along. I wouldn't leave them alone unsupervised together though.

Oh, no way. I don't take chances like that. As sweet as they all are, I know that in a fraction of a second something could change and one of the rats could be lunch.
1 Rabbit (Harlow)
1 Hedgehog (Darwin)
1 Bearded Dragon (Mango)
1 Leopard Gecko (Dobby)

caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:50 pm

That's good that you don't leave them unsupervised together. ;)
Some people would unfortunately if they got too trusting.

contessa20

Postby contessa20 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:10 am

For the last week poor Aster has been living in a cat carrier at night and loose in the bathroom during the day. Last night I finally got her new cage - a Martin's Skyscraper. I absolutely love it. As an extra added bonus, too, my older girl, Rosalie, seems to have finally accepted Aster. When her cage-mate died a couple of months ago she absolutely refused to accept Aster. She flat out attacked her on more than one occasion drawing blood no more than 2 inches. from me while sitting with them on the bathroom floor. After Aster's little escape, Rosie seems to be totally fine with her. They spent their days over the last week cuddling in the bathroom while Aster was living in there with absolutely no attacks at all. They are both now enjoying the new cage peacefully. I guess that escape was a blessing in disguise since I had resigned myself to having two singletons before. I know their lives will be so much happier as a pair.
1 Rabbit (Harlow)
1 Hedgehog (Darwin)
1 Bearded Dragon (Mango)
1 Leopard Gecko (Dobby)

caninesrock

Postby caninesrock » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:54 am

Glad to hear that they get along now so they can keep each other company and that you got a new cage for them. They must be really happy now. ^^

Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:50 pm

Martin's is my favorite cage manufacturer. I have an R-680 from when my boys were still around. It really was the best cage.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
contessa20

Postby contessa20 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:52 pm

Juska wrote:Martin's is my favorite cage manufacturer. I have an R-680 from when my boys were still around. It really was the best cage.

I rat sat for two big boys for a month and they had the R-695 that I bought. I'll never own another type of rat cage again. I fell in love with theirs and had planned to buy one eventually. Aster's escape just pushed it a little sooner. :) They seem to be really loving it. My personal favorite thing is the flip top.
1 Rabbit (Harlow)
1 Hedgehog (Darwin)
1 Bearded Dragon (Mango)
1 Leopard Gecko (Dobby)

Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:04 pm

I love the options they give you, too! The one I bought was pretty basic, but I do like the flip-top lid option, and to powder coat it if you want. As of now, I could get my own cage powder coated for less than what they charge, but it's a nice option to have. It stays cleaner and looks much nicer.

Return to “RODENTS”