PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET.. https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041 FREE TO USE .. YOU WILL GET $25.00 TO START)

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
please check for dog food and treat recalls: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=14662

Paca

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, hecate, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Paca

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:32 pm

A paca running around under water like a hippo https://www.facebook.com/AnimalsAirLand ... 387560875/
Buggle

Postby Buggle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pm

I've had my paca since January. She's about 7 pounds and is supposed to be about 6 months now. She was advertised as 'tame' and 'educational quality' but she spooks easily and doesn't tolerate being held. I've read that they are irreversibly wild if they aren't handled regularly before 40 days.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:17 pm

That's too bad. She was probably wild caught, thus they claimed tame rather than bottle fed or hand raised. The breeder I had contacted at the time had a waiting list of 6 years but that's the only sure way to get a pet quality one.
Buggle

Postby Buggle » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:21 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:That's too bad. She was probably wild caught, thus they claimed tame rather than bottle fed or hand raised. The breeder I had contacted at the time had a waiting list of 6 years but that's the only sure way to get a pet quality one.

I saw another ad for pacas where they were claimed to be hand-raised, but they were male and I wanted a female with the hopes of it being smaller. I thought maybe she just came from a breeding farm since they are used as food. I know she was imported. Hoping she stays on the smaller side. According to the literature she's supposed to be bigger at this age.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:22 pm

Aw, that's unfortunate. Do you think with time your paca will tame down at all? Or does it really just seem impossible? For some species that early window of babyhood is crucial.
I'm Fable and Ifrit's mommy. Also mommy to Carousel, Breeze, and a bunch of snakes, lizards, and spiders. Oh, and one amphibian!
Buggle

Postby Buggle » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 am

Ash wrote:Aw, that's unfortunate. Do you think with time your paca will tame down at all? Or does it really just seem impossible? For some species that early window of babyhood is crucial.

I don't think she can stop being skittish. When she spooks she just runs in a sudden burst and they can jump high despite their heftiness. She doesn't seem inclined to bite but I never let my guard down. She's be such a great pet otherwise. I put her in a bathtub to pee and poop and she won't pee for a few hours after going, plus she won't go during her non-active periods. She's comfortable as long as she's in her crate and usually goes in willingly. I use that to move her around. I've given up picking her up, she's too big to restrain.

Return to “RODENTS”