PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Paca

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Paca

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:23 pm

I talked to someone who breeds them. Her list is so many years long already it's closed to new people, because bottle raised ones are so rare. So those at mount hope are probably wild or at least not bottle raised but most likely wild imports. They are fruigvores so can make their feeding kind of expensive. They also are temperature sensitive and need to be kept warm, that wouldn't be any problem for me though.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:33 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:I talked to someone who breeds them. Her list is so many years long already it's closed to new people, because bottle raised ones are so rare. So those at mount hope are probably wild or at least not bottle raised but most likely wild imports. They are fruigvores so can make their feeding kind of expensive. They also are temperature sensitive and need to be kept warm, that wouldn't be any problem for me though.

That's too bad. I'll keep my eye out for you and see if any bottle-babies every pop up anywhere; I'm going to start checking ads more often again since I'll be moving soon.

They're very cute little fellas.

What do they eat?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:58 am

They are frugivores. She didn't get more specific than that though she would likely tell me if I persisted but I don't want to bug her too much since there's slim hope of getting one.

So fruit. You would probably add something to it for fiber and to cut down the sugar some since wild fruit is a lot more fiber and a lot less sugar than domestic fruit. Most people forget that when feeding fruigivores. They do eat some leaves and flowers and such in the wild but mostly fruit. So maybe add some sweet potato or some pellets(maybe guinea pig since they are cavys) but mostly fruit which would make them a more expensive pet to feed.

Edit: oh yeah she said they aren't big chewers either. Think that's a cavy thing. The guinea pigs I had for a time didn't seem to be big chewers. I was able to keep them in really big cardboard boxes(bearing in mind they were dumped on me and I had to segregate them once she had babies. I found them all better homes than I was providing.).
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:24 pm

Cool. It would be really neat if you could get one or two someday. They're such interesting little animals, and I don't know too much about them. Yeah, the fruit can get expensive, I'd imagine.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:27 pm

You probably have seen his already, but I found this book on google, and you can read a lot of it online.

http://books.google.com/books?id=9r9E_HBDAF0C&pg=PA13&lpg=PA13&dq=paca+breeder&source=bl&ots=iKKi2WYQru&sig=Ro67tXabH2QUHviBp8Y9yFpmVGk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=DHfAUoGNG8TioAS8jIGgDQ&ved=0CGMQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=paca%20breeder&f=false

It was very interesting. Are they a species that you would like to someday own and breed?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:03 pm

Yeah I was thinking about getting one. Now it will have to be a further off thing. If they remain rare then yeah I might try breeding my own. Could buy a couple wild ones since they are more common and maybe with the right set up and diet I could get lucky but that would have to be sometimes after I move so could be a few years. Give me plenty of time to learn about them though.

Thank you for the book link.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:39 am

Very interesting indeed. There is someone in Naples, FL that I've seen adds for with these. You know whats funny? I've had a LOT of people come by my place over the years to buy goats, many Indians (the south Asian kind) form Guyanna in south America, and when they catch a glimpse of my capybara through the screen enclosure they all think its one of these and comment on how good eating they are haha. They'd have to sell for ridiculous amounts to make it worthwhile to sell these slow breeding animals for market though.

I wonder how tame they really get though? As tame as a human raised capybara? I'd have to see a paca being cuddled as an adult and getting along with dogs, other animals.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:17 pm

She said they have wonderful personalities and that she really loves hers. I took that to mean they are tame. But in reality that doesn't mean they stay tame as adults. Aurora isn't really tame but I love her and her personality, though in her case I can tell she would have been awesomely sweet and tame if she had been raised and handled right. I have the same issue as you though there's no one showing what their adults are like interacting with. My friend up north of me has one but I've yet to actually get up there for various reasons. I know Ori was housed in the same display cage as it and another species I forget which. They all used the same latrine. She's been too busy to be asking her questions but if I ever make it up there I should get a chance to see for myself.
Nicophorus

Postby Nicophorus » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:53 pm

I read the whole ebook, very interesting stuff. At one point they said that some pacas will jump up on the persons lap that they are use to.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:55 am

https://www.facebook.com/groups/xotics/ ... 700325389/
Hand raised paca for sale. Where were they when I was in the market for one. I want a FawnRat. Oh well I got my fennec instead so no paca for me, for now.
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:07 pm

If I (hypothetically) previously had a flemish giant, would a paca be advisable as a beginner exotic?
Bora Kalem
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:33 pm

Long as it is hand raised then I think that would work, but they will be more active. They are tame and imprint on humans when hand raised and will follow you around. Expose them to a lot of people and animals while young to try and prevent them being territorial. They like to poop while standing in a water dish, kind of convenient but can also be kind of messy but diet wise they are basically large guinea pigs.
TurkRoach

Postby TurkRoach » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:04 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:Long as it is hand raised then I think that would work, but they will be more active. They are tame and imprint on humans when hand raised and will follow you around. Expose them to a lot of people and animals while young to try and prevent them being territorial. They like to poop while standing in a water dish, kind of convenient but can also be kind of messy but diet wise they are basically large guinea pigs.

Large guinea pigs sounds too good to be true... Imagine society accepting these as pets...
Bora Kalem
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:09 pm

It would be helpful if people that had them shared what it's like living with them more. I think most just keep them housed in enclosures and use them as show animals but some being kept as pets would be good info to have. They are kept a lot in their native lands but mostly for food but sometimes pets. The book Ash posted is helpful, though it's mostly geared to breeding them for meat but it talks some about what they are like when imprinted on humans. Follow you around and have a homing instinct to go back in their enclosures and as mentioned will get in your lap but don't like being picked up but can learn to tolerate it with lots of work from young. They sound pretty good like you could probably safely take them for walks in quiet areas. And if house raised maybe chill with you on the couch. Bigger than guinea pigs much more manageable size than a capybara and a bit of both in personality and basic care. Little info there is makes them sound less flighty than maras as well. So sound like a pretty good exotic to have.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:07 pm

Seems to be an update on the project the book is about paca stuff doesn'r start till about 1:40 Kind of interesting though no real usable info as far as pets go Warning: they do show Paca's as meat but it's not bloody like seeing a butcher cut up a pig or chicken. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFtxo137dk4

Return to “RODENTS”