PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

I WILL catch this

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Lilacpetals

I WILL catch this

Postby Lilacpetals » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:40 am

I need help with a wild mouse.
Now I know this is no 'pest control forum' but you dont understand.

THIS ONE MOUSE is driving my crazy. I've named him Jingles.

Jingles isn't a pet mouse, he's a field mouse that has suddenly decided he wants to be a pet mouse. I woke up to Jingles IN MY BED. IN IT.

NOT ON
NOT UNDER
IN.

After flailing about, nearly fracturing a rib and shaking my mattress until Jingles ran off, it took a while for me to fall back to sleep.

Now you might ask "Well how do you know its the same mouse?"

Thats the kinda cool part. Jingles is missing an ear.

ANYWAY

So this...THIS PEST. Decides" hey, this lady keeps pet rodent. I am also a rodent. Lets be friends, human!"

He's also smart... I've set out trap after trap, first humane traps then DEATH and he's passed all with flying colors. His cousins? Not so much.

So I need help catching this mouse. Any suggestions?
Juska

Re: I WILL catch this

Postby Juska » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:21 am

You could rent my dog. She's an expert vermin hunter, haha.

But seriously, if you're bent on getting rid of it, I suggest rodent poison. That is a trap that they cannot outwit. It got rid of the rats that were getting into our house at night and chewing holes in everything/eating the dog's food/our garbage.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Lilacpetals

Postby Lilacpetals » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:24 am

Juska wrote:You could rent my dog. She's an expert vermin hunter, haha.

But seriously, if you're bent on getting rid of it, I suggest rodent poison. That is a trap that they cannot outwit. It got rid of the rats that were getting into our house at night and chewing holes in everything/eating the dog's food/our garbage.

I would, but we currently have three cats and four dogs. We don't want to risk them actually getting off their butts to catch one, and in turn getting sick. :(
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Tall bucket of with grain in it so he will want to go in but can't jump back out. Mice get trapped accidentally like that all the time on farms. Just make sure he can get into it. Or use cat food or something you know he's eating.

Find the hole where they are getting in and plug it or they will keep coming.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:37 am

Lilacpetals

your lucky you only have one that you know of.
I have mice and rats in my kitchen, and other places... dogs and cats aren't getting them all.

I am in the middle of re-doing my kitchen, when I cleaned out my kitchen and dining room cupboard, I found several holes.
my plan is to line both cupboards with cement board(used for bathrooms, or tile floors)
I did that in my 2nd kitchen cupboard and that seemed to have worked for that. I only lined the bottom though.
I also lined lined the bottom wall behind my fridge.

there is also some type of screen that can be used, can't remember the name of it.
but, I think the cement board is cheaper.

the bucket thing mary mentioned should help too. you could also fill it 1/4 with water.
but, you should try and find out how the little bugger got in.
glad mary mentioned that, I will try using that in my basement. that needs sealed up too icon-sad

I have heard alka selzer kills them. crubble it in food.

I want to put poisen out, but, I am afraid my cats, foxes or coons will eat a mouse or rat. but, supposedly, the posien don't
kill cats or dogs... not taking any chances.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

When we set out poison we didn't have any problems, and my dog likes to kill rats and mice (when they're outside, she didn't pay any mind to them inside). I would think that if your animals aren't going after them now, they probably wouldn't go after them then.

Remember, rats can chew through concrete and other hard surfaces. I would be going with some sort of metal sheet. When rats were getting into our house, they chewed a hole around the pipe that comes up to our kitchen sink. My dad welded a metal plate around the base of it to stop them.

I never heard the Alka-Seltzer thing before. But since rats and mice cannot burp or vomit, it makes sense.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:28 pm

pat wrote:supposedly, the posien don't
kill cats or dogs... not taking any chances.

Rodent bait kills cats and dogs all the time but proper treatment soon enough can often save them.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:34 am

Also, find out how they are getting in. Are you leaving the garage door open a lot? Are you leaving the door to the backyard/frontyard open? Is there a hole somewhere? If you can find a hole you can block it off, though they do somehow find a way in. :roll:
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:03 am

if I were to use poison, I would use the rat cakes. but, would put them in the attic. I know they are there too.
what worries me, is if my foxes, coons or cats would get a rat or mouse that has poison.
sometimes my foxes and cats will eat half a mouse or rat.

vitimin K is suppose to counter act poison if given in time to an animal.

ash, the problem is, I have a lot of holes they can get in. I have a big house. hubby never did much maintenance over the years.
so now I decided I will do what I can myself. I started in the kitchen and dining room. I have 3 big cupboards where I found holes. I block everyone I see with cement board. I plan on lining all the cupboards with this.

when I get the kitchen sealed, I will continue on to the rest of the house. the basement is horrible. hubby is a hoarder :twisted:
so there is crap in the basement, holes there too (just hard to find with all his junk :roll: ) this has been an ongoing fight with him.

it also don't help having animals. icon_confused.gif

these rodents will eat anything. they took some of my brillo pads I had under the sink, ate dog vitimins, ear cleaner :roll:

a friend of mine replaced my kitchen sink/counter and cabinets recently, we put cement board on the floor, half up the wall.
so, this will be sealed up. it's a start I guess. but, I have a long way to go.

QUESTION:
does anyone know when breeding season is for rats and mice?
seems I start seeing them in the fall and winter.

also, how many babies do they have?
is there a way to find nests?

pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:16 am

Juska wrote:Remember, rats can chew through concrete and other hard surfaces. I would be going with some sort of metal sheet. When rats were getting into our house, they chewed a hole around the pipe that comes up to our kitchen sink. My dad welded a metal plate around the base of it to stop them.

I never heard the Alka-Seltzer thing before. But since rats and mice cannot burp or vomit, it makes sense.

my cats seem to prefer getting them outside too. once in awhile, my cats would get a mouse or rat in the house.

I agree about the metal plates, it would be better than the cement board. but, the metal plates can get pretty expensive
a while back, I lined the bottom of one of kitchen cupboards with cement board. after I did that, I noticed there was not any rats in that one.

however, I did find in another cupboard where they bored a hole, they chewed part of a 2x4 :roll:
those little buggers must have some strong teeth.

I did try the alka selzer, put peanut butter over it. they ate it. but, not sure if it killed the one that ate it.
I would think it did. :shrug:

I also like the bucket idea mary suggested, I will start putting them in the basement and anywhere else I see traces of them.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:36 pm

pat wrote:vitimin K is suppose to counter act poison if given in time to an animal.

I depends on the type of poison. The vitamin K inhibitors like warfran are treated with K as in that case it's a K deficiency that causes them to bleed to death but there are other kinds now too. Also even when you have an antidote like K it's not really a cure exactly. It stops future damage it wont fix what damage was already done so yeah needs to be given soon a possible and most often you don't know till there is already damage(symptoms).

I don't like having any poisons around. The only one I use is fly bait but it's the same chemical as advantage so actually is pretty safe but I keep it away from the critters anyway.

If I were truly infested I might evacuate and fumigate but I can't justify having poisons around. A lot of the modern poisons are designed to make the rodents active so they will run off to die but being active could make them come out and be easier to catch also and even if not your pets then other wildlife will eat them.

We did have mice here but we found the hole under the cabinets and plugged it and they stopped showing up.
Lilacpetals

Postby Lilacpetals » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:30 am

Guess who has one less mouse?
THIS CHICK
Guess who earned their keep?
THIS DUDE

Mice: 0
Darby: 1
:twisted:
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 am

well, darby is sure a beautiful cat. he looks young. how old is he?

cats make much better pets than a wild mouse. (I think so)

I assume you never found the mouse. maybe darby did

Lilacpetals

Postby Lilacpetals » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:28 pm

He's about five months old. And oh no- I found the mouse... Well... Some of it at least. He decided that he wanted to gloat his accomplishment. Poor mousey. We live in the middle of no where,and its getting colder so the mice instantly think they're welcome in here. Not no more! Muhahaha.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:02 am

this is the time of year mice and rats find homes.

at least Darby will be a good mouser.

I just love his coloring. the expression on his face looks like he is full of personality.

Return to “RODENTS”