PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

My Rat are afriad of me

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Foxyloxy53

My Rat are afriad of me

Postby Foxyloxy53 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:06 pm

I have got my rats at a petstore in NS Canada its called pets unlimited they are great they let me the back of the store to see if there is any other rats i like there pet care was amazing it was NOTHING LIKE PETSMART but i have had my rats for a month now and they will come up to the cage when i am around but they wont let me pick them up icon-sad anything i should do
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: My Rat are afriad of me

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Rats typically tend to be super social animals, so I'm surprised if they don't let you pick them up. How old are they? If they are still young, then they will need to be handled regularly. With the five rats my family owned, they seemed to settle down as they aged--got a lot more mellow and lazy once they were full grown. We had five females.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Foxyloxy53

Postby Foxyloxy53 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Ash wrote:Rats typically tend to be super social animals, so I'm surprised if they don't let you pick them up. How old are they? If they are still young, then they will need to be handled regularly. With the five rats my family owned, they seemed to settle down as they aged--got a lot more mellow and lazy once they were full grown. We had five females.

they are about a month old and are friendly but very VERY shy they all still very young and small
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Oh, if they are that young then it just sounds like they aren't used to you yet. Hold them as much as you can, and they'll warm up really quickly in no time. ;)
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Females aren't as "people friendly" as males. They aren't really that cuddly, with some exceptions. If you wanted snuggly rats you should have gotten males, and the people at the pet store should have told you that. I have had three males that I raised from a few weeks old and for a short time fostered two young females.

Basically, you shouldn't expect your females to be super attached and cuddly with you.

Former PetSmart employee here, by the way. Just for reference, I don't take kindly to people bashing them.

You need to put them in a small open area with you and just let them get used to you. Or sit at the cage and put your hands/arms in and just let them sniff and get used to your scent. Put a towel or other cloth item with your scent on it into their cage. You can also place treats on yourself, like on your arms or the top of your hand, and let them take it.

Just try to coax them into coming to you and being with you. Eventually, they will trust you, know your smell and will want to be with you all the time.

Another thing I found that helps with teaching them to not be as "grabby" like rats are, is when they are still young, put peanut butter on your fingers and let them lick it off. This will teach them that human fingers are not food and that they should not be grabbed or bitten, but licked and gently inspected if there is a food scent on them. My boy Johnny would clean underneath my fingernails for bits of food I hadn't washed off and it was very cute. Of course, don't try this with a known aggressive or unknown behavior rat, as it may result in a bite, and rat bites can cause nerve damage.

Finally, don't try to pick them up against their will as it will make them less likely to want to come to you naturally.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:35 pm

My 5 females were all super cuddly, but since I never owned any boys, I can't make a good comparison. Maybe the boys are way more cuddly than the females, lol, which to me would mean ultra-cuddly animal. :)

I really think that it is because they are still young that they are kind of wary around you. Just hold them often, interact with them a lot, spend time with them, feed them treats when they get on your hand, and things will go well from there.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:53 pm

Image Image

This is my rex, Dracula. He really liked this blanket. He wasn't too fond of being picked up, but if I got the blanket out he would hop right in. Both of these I took while I had him in the blanket, on my lap at my computer. He would sit here for hours. Sometimes we would venture up onto my desk and sit on my keyboard and push the buttons.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “RODENTS”