PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Just Hamsters

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

minervasden

Just Hamsters

Postby minervasden » Wed May 14, 2014 12:28 am

I'm bored and as I don't have anything exciting or exotic to post here are a couple syian hamsters that came into my care last Tuesday.

First up is the female, Gossamer. It may not show in the photo that she's a satin. What does show is the very pregnant belly. Litter was born on Thursday.
I don't know how many babies yet but at least 7. Gossamer is pretty laid back but she's not ready for me to be in the nest yet. The glimpses I do get show fat active little ones.

http://postimg.org/image/uslbh6157/

Next is Yubi a male. He may or may not be father to Gossamer's litter. Yubi is not a friendly hamster. A bit of work this one. Because he was so highly stressed I tried to take pictures at a distance while he was in the travel cage. Never did get all of him in one frame.

http://postimg.org/image/58j1aqfrf/

Added links because the images wouldn't show for me.
Please note that the hamsters were photographed in travel or quarantine cages not full setups.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
EmilyGrace

Re: Just Hamsters

Postby EmilyGrace » Wed May 14, 2014 1:14 am

hey minerva'sden. :)
They sure are cute, and I love the name Gossamer! Its so elegant and feminine. Where did Gossamer and Yubi come from? And are you keeping the babies or are you going to adopt them out?
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed May 14, 2014 1:36 am

A former coworker of mine works at the local chain pet store so I sometimes am asked to take critters that have been dumped or otherwise unsaleable if there has been no adoption interest. These ones were from a sick (respiratory) cage but the only 2 that didn't get ill. All is well in that respect so far.

I hope to adopt the babies out but they will stay if nobody wants them. First choice is spoken for already. There is a chance of double/super satins and those may be difficult to rehome if too unattractive.

I was trying to think of a shiny type of ribbon/fabric and Gossamer was the best I could come up that made a decent girl's name. I guess it is also the name of a looney toons monster so it would have worked if she wasn't friendly.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:31 pm

Here's a picture of the babies at 2 weeks. I need to get a new battery charger for my camera in order to access newer images. The babies wouldn't stay still best I could get was while the cage was being cleaned.

Eleven youngsters. Most are sable or sable roan. There was (is) one anopthalmic/eyeless white. Also one runt. No super/double satins. Long and shorthairs and satins and nonsatins.

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:30 pm

minervasden wrote:Here's a picture of the babies at 2 weeks. I need to get a new battery charger for my camera in order to access newer images. The babies wouldn't stay still best I could get was while the cage was being cleaned.

Eleven youngsters. Most are sable or sable roan. There was (is) one anopthalmic/eyeless white. Also one runt. No super/double satins. Long and shorthairs and satins and nonsatins.

They're all so colorful. :) I didn't realize you could have that many different colors in a litter.

Aw, poor eyeless baby. Hope he does okay even with his disability.

Do they live a long time? Or are they like mice and rats?
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, salamander, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Ash wrote:They're all so colorful. :) I didn't realize you could have that many different colors in a litter.

Aw, poor eyeless baby. Hope he does okay even with his disability.

Do they live a long time? Or are they like mice and rats?

The eyeless white are often deaf and don't always live a long life. May have special needs. You don't really hear too much about them as they can be avoided. Both parents need to carry the gene. If you don't know the background of your hamsters 100% then never breed a pattern to a pattern. Eyeless are usually from accidental litters and from 'breeders' whose knowledge consists of you need a male and a female.
Feeder breeders often don't care if it is in their lines but that is different than pet breeding.

Average hamster lifespan is 2-3 years.
Juska

Postby Juska » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:32 pm

Very cute, hope to see more photos soon! I've been mulling over getting a hamster to satiate my small animal craving I've been having for a few months now. I haven't had any tiny furry friends since my last rat passed away, it'll be two years on August 20th this year.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:14 pm

Juska wrote:Very cute, hope to see more photos soon! I've been mulling over getting a hamster to satiate my small animal craving I've been having for a few months now. I haven't had any tiny furry friends since my last rat passed away, it'll be two years on August 20th this year.

I would've saved one for you :icon-wink:
And I can't believe it has been almost 2 years since the last rat passed.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Yubi passed away sometime today. The hammies usually get up for the night about 8pm. Everyone was out and about except Yubi. Found him snuggled in his nest like he was sleeping....only he wasn't. He has had no symptoms and was checked daily for penile plugs. He was about 6/7 months old. Something could have stressed him that I was unaware of or a genetic/congenital issue. A fast moving illness is still possible.

The others are all fine and will hopefully continue to be so. My first thoughts were along the lines of what did I forget to do or did wrong. But, sometimes these things just happen for unknown reasons out of our control. Which I hope is the case here.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:56 pm

Sorry to hear that.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:10 pm

New young male just arrived today. Name is Dazzle. He just wasn't wanted, no particular reason. Dazzle is super sweet and calm but also extremely curious. I will be keeping him myself as Loo the eyeless white passed away a few months ago from health issues.

This is the only decent picture. My computer died and this one I am using has nothing to edit/clean up images. I like the diagonal white line on his sides, he looks interesting from a side view. He is a mismarked banded pattern. Banded is highly variable in expression and even perfectly banded parents do not necessarily throw good markings.

TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:25 pm

Like his markings too.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Cute!
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:17 pm

I love his shaggy skirt. :)
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:57 pm

BlueBaby1023 wrote:I love his shaggy skirt. :)

I have to pick up new bedding for him because the skirt is not so lovable when the bedding tangles up in it :roll:

Return to “RODENTS”