PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Just Hamsters

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

Re: Just Hamsters

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:34 pm

Oh no! Is it aspen bedding? I've heard that cat wood pellet litter is good for tangly Syrian fur.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:48 pm

Yep, Aspen. Yubi didn't have issues with it but Dazzle just has to be special. The hamsters are becoming higher maintenance than the cats. Haven't used pellets on hamsters before but was considering it.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:03 am

A few pictures of a hamster family taken while I was cage cleaning today.
Juska

Postby Juska » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:40 am

Very cute.

Have you tired that springy shredded paper bedding? I know they used to sell it at PetSmart but they might not anymore. They sell the exact same thing at Staples as packing material, haha. But I used that for my rats. Didn't get stuck in their fur and was easy to clean up.

Before that I used Carefresh, but they would kick it out of their pan sometimes, and it would get soggy after a bit in places because they eliminated in one corner. But I just spot cleaned that spot in between changes. It was a bit dusty as well despite the packaging claiming it is dust-free, lol.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:13 pm

No, I have not used the springy paper bedding labeled for animals. I do have a bunch under the packing material label. Purchased for next to nothing at an after Christmas sale. Usually I just make my own paper crinkles.

I agree that Carefresh is too dusty despite the claims. It makes me itch and sneeze. I have had a few rodents which reacted likewise. Aspen is my default bedding with the exception of Dazzle who gets store brand 'carefresh'. Toilet paper, paper crinkles, and soft hay are provided for nesting. I will also purchase 'alternative' beddings off the clearance table and add a couple handfuls sometimes as enrichment item.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:25 pm

**Apologies for keep on posting hamsters. Just do not have anything else to post about at this time**

The last(?) babies. Looks like the overload of hamsters is coming to an end. Sometimes there is a rush of surrenders all the same species. Well, not so much anymore but in the past.

These 2 guys and 1 girl (black) are 2 1/2 weeks old. Would not stop being active long enough for a decent shot.

And then there is this huge pile born yesterday. The nest wasn't disturbed, the mom made a shallow open nest which she left to grab dinner.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:13 pm

They look disturbed with their legs up in the air like that. Guess they're just disturbed mom left.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:18 pm

I admit, I never think pinkies of anything look cute, lol. But for some weird reason, those look kind of cute to me. Mom needs to go back and say "hi" to them soon, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:23 pm

TamanduaGirl wrote:They look disturbed with their legs up in the air like that. Guess they're just disturbed mom left.

I just meant that I nor anyone else other than mom disturbed the nest. Usually the moms cover the nests when they leave. Don't know anything about the mom so she just may be inexperienced.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:43 am

I knew what you meant. Just there's a large number of them all belly and legs up. Maybe they just don't know up from down yet.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue May 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Found a 1000 count box of popsicle/craft sticks for $1 at a garage sale so new furnishings for the hamsters.
Poor Spyder has never had his picture taken, so I let him be the inspector/model.

Appears structurally sound.

Perfect for plotting world domination

Inspecting is hard work, time for a snack.

I need to file his nails, embarassing.
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed May 27, 2015 11:23 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Those pictures are hilarious and adorably cute! I love the one where he is plotting for world domination--before I saw the caption, that's exactly what popped into my head. I didn't realize hamsters could look so menacing, lol.

That's cool with the popsicle sticks. I really like how you made those for them. Do they gnaw on the wood to wear down their teeth? Or do they mostly like to play/go inside them?

It makes me want to go out and buy popsicle sticks to make hides for my snakes, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu May 28, 2015 4:08 pm

Ash- Popsicle sticks are safe for structures but not as chew sticks as they splinter. It depends on the individual hamster if they get the toys in their cage or only during supervised out of cage time. Spyder likes to chew plastic so he is fine with popsicle stick toys in his cage.
Juska

Postby Juska » Thu May 28, 2015 5:35 pm

When I worked at PetSmart we had some hammies and gerbils that preferred to chew on the plastic houses instead of wood items. I've used uncooked bones too, for rats anyway. Would you think hammies would like those too? And is plastic actually okay for them to chew? I know they don't actually swallow the things they chew (usually), so as long as it doesn't splinter like popsickle sticks. Just wondering.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Thu May 28, 2015 6:08 pm

Bones should be ok as long as they don't splinter and are too large to pouch. There doesn't seem to be many owners using bones for hamsters that I have 'seen'. I think many ham owners use antlers as a substitute.
With hamsters, there is the additional issue of their pouches getting scratched/punctured, and some hamsters will pouch anything.

Just as with rats, it isn't great for hamsters to chew plastic, but the occasional nibble without ingesting shouldn't be harmful.
Spyder is a hardcore plastic chewer, so he isn't allowed any plastic in his cage.

Return to “RODENTS”