PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Gerbil wont burrow?

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

w0lfygirl

Gerbil wont burrow?

Postby w0lfygirl » Wed May 28, 2014 10:27 pm

I've had my gerbil for a while now, and i have a 10 gallon tank, almost full with bedding but... He never burrows. I've never seen him even attempt to, the most he does is move around the top bedding into different hills.
He scratches the corners of the inside of a.. can? it's not like a soup can so there's nothing charp and it can't hurt him, it used to have lipton tea in it but i removed the paper and washed it out.
He scratches inside of that but never burrows. He seems to be really healthy, he's just skittish of hands because while i was gone on vacation my sister kept messing with him.

I'm getting him a friend soon once i get the supplies to create a split tank, which should be within this month.
He's a year old so i don't see why he wouldn't have burrowed all this time. :shrug:
I'm thinking that when i get him a cagemate, he'll pick up on the idea by watching the other one..
But is there a specific reason he wouldn't be burrowing? i can't remember what brand of bedding i have but it was one recommended by a gerbil breeder, so i don't think it's that.
The smallest things in life can make the biggest changes, even when we don't realize it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Gerbil wont burrow?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 28, 2014 10:52 pm

Because he can't make tunnels and dens in shavings like he could wild compacted earth.

You need to give him burrows instead. Follow the link in the first paragraph for ideas.
http://www.egerbil.com/behaviour.html
Juska

Re: Gerbil wont burrow?

Postby Juska » Thu May 29, 2014 10:46 am

Carefresh can be burrowed into a bit, sort of, if it gets a little compacted down. But I agree with TG, they can't really "burrow" into shavings and the like.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!

Return to “RODENTS”