PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Peach and Pear

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

BlueBaby1023

Peach and Pear

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:12 pm

So, since we've been here and have been waiting on our new dog we have been looking at other small exotics that we would be able to have in our apartment. I had rats in high school, and loved them, and it just so happened that a sanctuary in the Orlando area got in ten rats, including 4 young (probably) pregnant females. We took a drive down there after spending the day at DisneyWorld, and took some home. These are the new little ones! <3

Please ignore the mess that is the rabbits cage. They have their hay strung out everywhere. :lol:

Baby Peach:

Pear is a bit more shy than Peach, and will not sit still for a picture. :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Great PyrxAnatolian Shepherds
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
~100 chickens, ducks, and turkeys
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Peach and Pear

Postby Ash » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:21 pm

They are adorable. Rats are amazing pets. Me and my sisters had five when we were growing up. They were the best pets we had. We had two grays, two black and whites, and one blond one.

I really like the colors of the ones you have. And the names are perfect for he color. :)

They are such smart and affectionate animals. The only downside I saw to them was needing to hose down their cage every week since it'd start smelling. That was a pain, but they were still good pets.

You've got a house full of animals! :lol: Soon you may not have room for anything else, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:39 pm

Thanks! I thought they were beautiful. The other two females were of similar colors, but the 6 males they had were all black and agouti hooded, like the males I had before. I wanted to try out females because they seem more active than the males I had.

I agree about the intelligence. They have already figured out in just a couple days that when the pigs start squeaking it means it's dinner time. :lol: And since we already clean out that room regularly due to the bunnies and piggies, the smaller rat cage isn't much of an addition at all! I had it stored away since my rats died, and used to use it for my pigs when they were little. It came in great use to transport them across the country in.

We do have a houseful! I like it. :mrgreen: I'm happiest surrounded by animals, and my boyfriend is as well.

It's funny, though, because when you say you have this many animals, people expect your house to be a disaster and to be smelly, but when one of our friends came over to see Gizmo a few weeks ago she remarked on how clean it was and that it didn't seem crowded at all despite how small these apartments are. It does help that the pigs, rabbits, and now rats are in a room separate from everyone else, and that the cats spend most of their day spread out on the cat tree or on the couch. Really, the only animal to trip over is Stella. :lol:

We really don't have much room for any other animals. The next addition will be the long-awaited doggy friend for Stella, and we may be fostering ferrets in a few weeks. But, other than that, the inn is full. Especially on the cat (and dog) front... :roll: Neither of us were expecting to gain two cats when we got here, and had been planning a second dog and a couple more small exotics for months prior to the move.
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:35 pm

Yeah, lots of animals does not necessarily = messing house. It depends how clean you are. A friend of mine had 5 indoor cats, and I thought her mouse must have been covered in fur and a total mess or something. I was wrong, lol. It was actually SUPER clean because they made the effort to make it look like there were no cats in the house--except for the actual cats.

I did not own any males, just females. But my uncle had 3 or 4 males. His sounded really lazy. I remember ours as always being super active, so maybe the females naturally are. This may sound weird, but I always loved it when they would crawl up the inside of my pant leg and poke around, lol. It felt so strange and bizarre having something snuggled tightly between your pants and your leg, haha. My grandma actually really liked that too, which was funny. We always let them crawl all over us.

One of my goals in 2015 is to build a rodent rack and start raising feeders for the foxes and snakes. BUT my sister and I undoubtedly will wind up keeping some as pets, so I really look forward to that. It'll be really fun having pet rats again!
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:04 pm

Sounds like my house at the moment. I spend a lot of time trying to make sure there is no odor in the house from the animals. Kinda hard with animals that eat hay, because it tends to smell like hay, but not horribly so. We try to keep the litterboxes (both for the cats and the pigs and buns) here pretty clean too, because we have a fruit fly problem (what part of Florida doesn't...) and they like to live in dirty litter boxes.

My males were definitely lazy and they loved to pee on everything. These females seem pretty active and alert. Peach is definitely the more friendly of the two, and the more "chunky". :icon-wink:

That sounds awesome! I could never feed rats, personally, but it's just because I see them as pets. I have a falconer friend from high school and she raises mice but not rats. She's actually the one I got my males from originally, as she adopted a pregnant female. Someone asked her about not feeding rats to her birds, and she cut them off and said they were pets not food. :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes
5 Goats
BlueBaby1023

Postby BlueBaby1023 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:35 pm

Well, as we discovered Friday, the cage we were housing them in was not adequate! Someone decided to chew a massive hole in the plastic bottom (a hole that was started by my boys I had years ago that only got to the size of a dime). I heard the guinea pigs running frantically around their cage and wondered what was going on. Peach and Pear were paying them a visit and scaring them. :lol:

Thank goodness we had already gotten a spare cage that we intended to use for them because of the ferrets cage breaking. It's similar to a critter nation, and is about double the size they previously had. It's labeled for about 6-8 rats, but we're just going to stick with Peach and Pear for a little while. It gives them tons of room to run around, and I can finally get them a silent spinner to exercise on! :lol:
4 Fancy Rats
2 American Guinea Pigs
1 Holland Lop Rabbit
1 Rex Rabbit
2 Ferrets
1 Lutino Cockatiel
5 Mixed Breed Cats
1 PitxLab
1 Great Pyr
1 Greyhound
2 Red Foxes