PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Rats and the Cold?

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rats and the Cold?

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:31 am

I'm one step away from buying a rodent rack... and then I'll be able to feed my snakies, foxies, and future animals.

How do rats do in the cold? If given bedding, hay and a warm hide, will they all pile up and be warm? Or do they need to be kept at a certain temperature? Rats and mice live outside during the winter, after all.

It was a long time ago when I kept rats as pets. I don't remember whether or not the temperatures were important for them or not. I know we kept ours in the basement and garage for several months, though most of the time they were in the house. Can't remember if that was summer or winter though.

Thanks.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Juska

Re: Rats and the Cold?

Postby Juska » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:19 pm

They don't do well in high temperatures and can overheat very, very quickly. Cold not so much, but if you have more than one they will pile up together to keep warm. But I wouldn't recommend keeping them chilly, of course. I'd try to at least keep them at room temperature or 65 degrees at lowest. If you stuff their cage with fleece scraps or a little throw blanket they'll make a nice nest out of it.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:21 pm

As you exit the preferred temperature zone in either direction the reproductive and litter survival rates will decrease. Aside from the comfort and health of the rats, you also have your feeder goals to keep in mind.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:58 pm

Alright, thank-you. I was hoping to be able to keep them in the garage, but that probably won't work so well come wintertime. Hmm... Maybe I could use heat-tape like I'm doing for the snakes??
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas

Return to “RODENTS”