PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Rodent Rack!!

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rodent Rack!!

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Squeee! I am so excited. Last night I bought a used Freedom Breeder (top-of-the-line) rodent rack. It has 18 tubs and an irrigation system. In great condition.

I am stoked, and I can't wait to get some ratties. I do love rats, and I'm getting so excited about the thought of feeding my animals something I am personally raising. Should definitely cut down on costs! :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
KingObeat

Re: Rodent Rack!!

Postby KingObeat » Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:56 am

Freedom Breeders are great racks. You won't be disappointed.
HumaneWatch
http://www.humanewatch.org/

United States Association of Reptile Keepers
http://usark.org/

Protect the Harvest
http://protecttheharvest.com/
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:45 pm

It's so heavy, it's still in my van. icon_confused.gif I need help getting it out--super heavy and definitely can't lift it with just me and my sister. Once it's out, it's on wheels, so will be super easy to move.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:40 pm

I've got my rodents up and going. They are still too young to breed, but I know that one of these days I'll be surprised when I open a tub full of babies, lol. It took them a little while to figure out how to reach up and get the food on the wiring above--I was worried they wouldn't figure out that food was up there. But they learned, and now they hold the food in place with their hands and start chewing. I'm surprised by how little they eat, but then again, I only have five right now, so not that many.

I have two males and three girls. I got the girls young so I don't have to worry about birthing issues if they weren't bred before and their pelvises fused or something. So they're young, sprightly, and soon will be ready to have babies. They are really fun to have, and I have a good system down to keep costs low, but to keep them happy with enrichment. They get table scraps to enhance their diet, cardboard hides to chew on and go through, and I want to buy them some plastic tubes and hidey-holes that they can play in and on.

A big downside right now is that the irrigation system is not working. I've been given some tips from some local rodent breeders about what could be wrong, so I'm hoping I can fix it. It makes it VERY inconvenient to have to give them water BOWLS. I can't use the water bottles because the spaces between the wiring are too narrow for the little nozzels to fit down through, which is frustrating. So I need to get that fixed, and things will suddenly be much, much simpler and faster.

The rats are the black and white hooded rats. They're sweeties. The girls are more outgoing than the males are. But I'm sure they'll all warm up to humans with regular handling. I've always wanted sleek, solid black rats, so I will have to look up the genetics and see what animals I need to add to get those colors. Reptile owners who breed their own rodents are sometimes SUPER into rodent coat genetics, and there are some really pretty colors that you can breed for.

Right now they are separated in two tubs. The first tub has 1 male and 2 girls, the second tub has 1 male and 1 girl. We named them fun little names. The trio is named Link, Sheik, and Zelda. The pair is Peach and Mario. Haha. Just cute names. I think the naming theme is going to be video game characters. :)
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:46 pm

Pelvic fusing is not an issue with rats as it is in some other species. Originally the guinea pig info was applied to rats without further research. Here in the US people seem to set a younger age to both start breeding and age by which first breeding should take place than some other countries. If I like the qualities (type, markings or whatever) of a female, I'll go up to a year of age for first breeding.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:01 am

minervasden wrote:Pelvic fusing is not an issue with rats as it is in some other species. Originally the guinea pig info was applied to rats without further research. Here in the US people seem to set a younger age to both start breeding and age by which first breeding should take place than some other countries. If I like the qualities (type, markings or whatever) of a female, I'll go up to a year of age for first breeding.

Really? Well that's good to know, thanks. I wish I had gotten an older one then! Maybe I'll stop by the petstore and get a bigger female. Okay, so it's the guinea pigs with that issue. I'll keep that in mind. I feel like you're a well of info, lol.

There was a cute male young adult black dumbo rat for sale at petsmart last I went. I wanted to get him, but didn't because of his price.

With that info, I think I'll get an adult pair so I can start getting babies "right away."

Rats are just so cute. I love the little females. :)
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:36 pm

Well, one of my males done did it. I had a noticeably pregnant female for the last week, and last night, she gave birth. I now have 7 healthy rat pinks. :) I have frozen rats already to hold me for a while, so these ones I'm going to raise up to be breeders. Hopefully more females than males. Still too little to tell.

I need to figure out what I'm going to do in the wintertime. My original plan was to raise rats during the spring-fall, and then euthanize the whole lot once it got too cold. But thinking about having to start over all fresh seems intimidating. We'll see though. Maybe before it gets too cold the rats will have multiplied enough for me to stock up for the winter.
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Just wanted to throw in my two cents, please don't use animals you get from PetSmart as feeders. That's not what they're bred for. I know you didn't imply that you were but I just wanted to throw that out there. It's actually against policy for employees to sell animals to a person looking to use said animals as food or breeders. And honestly, I wouldn't recommend using them for breeding, either. You don't know what breeding stock they came from or what, if any, problems their lines might be prone to. You wouldn't want to get a decent stock established and then ruin it with bad genes.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:06 pm

Juska wrote:Just wanted to throw in my two cents, please don't use animals you get from PetSmart as feeders. That's not what they're bred for. I know you didn't imply that you were but I just wanted to throw that out there. It's actually against policy for employees to sell animals to a person looking to use said animals as food or breeders. And honestly, I wouldn't recommend using them for breeding, either. You don't know what breeding stock they came from or what, if any, problems their lines might be prone to. You wouldn't want to get a decent stock established and then ruin it with bad genes.

Great point.

He was too expensive anyway, but was just super adorable, lol. I do have a lot of friends in Utah who breed their own feeders, and they are REALLY into the different genetics of rats and mice. So they all have some really pretty colors and diverse stock. I would like to get a few other colors just so I'm not staring at black and white all day long though. :lol:

I'm excited for these little ones to get their fur in!

Return to “RODENTS”