PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Of Mice and...no, just mice really.

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Ana

Of Mice and...no, just mice really.

Postby Ana » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:09 pm

My neighbor passed away recently, and his daughter has been hard at work removing 80 years of
clutter from his home. His garage and woodpile were home to many animals, and since the cleaning
began in earnest, we've begun to see 'visitors' over here from time to time.

This week, it's mice. I found a mouse in the downstairs bathroom, lying in the drain of our big
utility sink. :shock: At that same time I found another nearby who was dead, apparently due
to a run-in with the cat. Several hours later the cat brought me ANOTHER mouse, unharmed.
They appear to be very, very young, though I cannot say with certainty.

These two surviving mice are currently residing in a 10 gallon aquarium on my desk. Because of
Corso, there is no place in this house where they could ever be safe, other than right here. If I
were to make a mistake and leave the bedroom door open, the mice would probably be toast.
Because the ground is completely frozen here, food and water sources may be more difficult to
locate. I'm considering keeping them until Spring, at which point I'll take them to a game preserve
for release. Has anyone ever wintered mice and released them?

I've raised dozens of rats, and I'd like to hear from anyone with mouse experience about the
differences between raising mice and rats. I do not intend to 'tame' the mice, or to interact with
them at all, other than cleaning and food/water. I've put in a wheel, they play on that together
and seem to enjoy it. I've put in two dens, in case they prefer to be separate.

What else should I be doing?

My primary concern right now is to get them sexed. If they are siblings, breeding would not be a
great idea, and frankly, even if they aren't, I'd prefer they wait until they're somewhere else. :lol:
Juska

Re: Of Mice and...no, just mice really.

Postby Juska » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Maybe this would be helpful?

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=12274
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Ana

Postby Ana » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:14 pm

I've used that, but I just don't feel sure. You know how it is with rats, there's two VERY prominent..well,
a male rat has gigantic testicles, it's not something you can miss. With these little guys, I just cannot be
sure what I'm looking at. I was hoping there would be some physical changes that might clear it up, but
not yet. I haven't wanted to restrain and photograph them, but it may come to that. Will watch for a few
more days and try to get a decent look. What an outrageous situation. :lol:
Juska

Postby Juska » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:14 pm

Until they get a little bigger you could probably just put a divider made of mesh or something until they're large enough to...you know, see things. Haha.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
northfish

Postby northfish » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:10 pm

It looks like a deer mouse, if the coat is grey it is young, if red/brown then at least a few months old, they are very hard to sex as the males don't have visible testes, so have to go by distance, but they don't breed fast and probably would not breed until spring when the weather warms up. They dont smell like rats or regular mice and should love the wheel, make sure you have a top on the tank, they might like some dry cat food as well as regular rodent seed mix.
Ana

Postby Ana » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:07 am

Thank you very much, I've spent an inordinate amount of the last week genital gazing. :lol: I've
noticed the lack of odor, what a pleasant surprise! :D

I've got them on a mix of the hamster and rat diets they sell at the pet store, plus whatever we're having
that's fresh at the moment (broccoli, sweet peppers, banana, potato, snap peas). I'll start including some of
this fantastic new kibble the cats are on! I'm avoiding any sort of citrus. Just following the protocol for rats
and patiently waiting for spring! :lol: Oh, I added a second, larger wheel also. It's quite large but the running
surface is a tight grating that is safe for their tiny feet, they seem to enjoy it.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:11 pm

Yeah it's fine to keep and release in spring. I did that a couple of times with young deer mice my cat brought me. I helped with their survival skills by catching moths and putting them in the tank and they would catch the moths. I also kept their home more terrarium like. Filled it with dirt and had a tree branch in there which they liked to climb on but they also regularly climbed around upside down on the top. I gave them a house of a card board box that they filled with tissues and things I gave them. They had an area inside for sleeping and a separate area for stashing food and separate area for potty. So I just replaced the box occasionally but not too often when they were out of it since they naturally kept the tank clean. When I release a mouse I will dump some food where released too and hope they find their way back to it as they get accustomed to the area.

I only had one at a time though.

Return to “RODENTS”