PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

rats.... hazard to infants. illegal? ia

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Spaur93

rats.... hazard to infants. illegal? ia

Postby Spaur93 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:12 am

Is it illegal to have pet rats in the house with an infant there.
I live in iowa.
Thank you
:wall:
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: rats.... hazard to infants. illegal? ia

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:35 am

Yeah, that's stupid paranoia. Especially with that article that just came out the other day about an infant dying from some sort of disease from a pet rat.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Spaur93

Postby Spaur93 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:13 pm

I don't own them. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't get in trouble (or would) if it was illegal if I allowed my son to stay with his grandmother because she has rats.
But we now know she has to move them to her sister's house when the boys are there. Thanks.

Also... This website is really helpful. But I don't see myself coming back if there are many more comments on simple and mundane questions like the one I just posted. That's rude.

Any way... Thank you
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:23 pm

Spaur93 wrote:Also... This website is really helpful. But I don't see myself coming back if there are many more comments on simple and mundane questions like the one I just posted. That's rude.

What so you DON'T want people to answer you or you just don't want people to talk to you unless it's an answer? Ash was trying to sympathize with the situation. It's odd that you find that rude.

If you mean to say you're mad there aren't more comments, well, we don't know everything. A dozen replies saying I don't know would be silly. The question isn't so simple. I've never heard of such a thing so would doubt there is such a law but I don't really know unless I take time out from work(which I need to do to make a living) to research your states laws. Which I was doing just now and just meant to take a little break just now to check posts not take a long time researching and typing out a reply(which takes me longer than most people). but I did a quick search and found nothing about it. But that doesn't mean much. So still I don't know. Try asking the health department or CPS.

As far as safety concerns just don't allow any contact and maybe just not let the baby in the room they are kept in if you want to be real sure.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:36 pm

Ash wrote:Yeah, that's stupid paranoia.

The OP may have interpreted this to have been directed at them (OP). The way it was written it is not clear who it was intended towards, though I understood what Ash meant.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:30 pm

I was DEFINITELY not directing that comment at you AT ALL... I was talking about the people who put the silly law there in the first place. Nothing to do with you, and I am very sorry you took it the wrong way. But I was 100% commenting on the people who put the law there...

I never would insult anyone like that. Just commenting on the way society reacts to these situations--and then putting up bans like that. NEVER meant it to come across any other way than that. The fact that there was a circulating article on facebook about rat owners and children--I thought you were referring to that. I did not realize you were truly asking a question. I took it like you were commenting on the new article or something.

Where you included the emoticon hitting its head against a brick wall, I thought that was a tip off that you were upset at the law as much as I was.

EDIT: I typically reread my responses, so I guess I could see how you took me saying "stupid paranoia" was being directed at you. But to be honest, I am having a very rough time (euthanizing a pet vs treating said pet), so I just gave a quick response. And like TamanduaGirl said, I was expressing my empathy and talking about dumb laws/society reactions.
3 red fox, 4 iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, tarantula
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:53 pm

I also read your first line as "It is illegal to have pet rats in the house with an infant there." That's where I got confused. I thought it was already a law you were referring to.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:59 am

minervasden wrote:
Ash wrote:Yeah, that's stupid paranoia.

The OP may have interpreted this to have been directed at them (OP). The way it was written it is not clear who it was intended towards, though I understood what Ash meant.

Oh... Maybe. I didn't see it that way at all(especially since thanks was attached) so was really confused so then thought maybe they mistyped it cuz it's not uncommon for people to complain about my second thought from time to time.

Edit: the only thing I've heard even something similar is one province in Candida that bans pet rats all together and there may be a rare city here or there that might, but never heard of anything specific saying you can't keep them or any legal and nonpermit requiring animal in the same home as a baby. So I would assume it's fine but it never hurts to check just to make sure.
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby pat » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:35 am

Spaur93,
Is it illegal to have pet rats in the house with an infant there

honestly, it looks like a question. (without the question mark)

I completely understood ash's reply. she was NOT directing anything negative you.

the thing is,there are so many law changes anymore, sometimes we just don't know what to expect
on the legality end.

ash has NEVER been rude to anyone. she takes her time to help everyone,as does many of the other members.

we are here to help, not to hurt or be rude.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den

Return to “RODENTS”