PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Anomaluromorpha and the CDC

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

TexasYankee

Anomaluromorpha and the CDC

Postby TexasYankee » Wed May 20, 2015 3:03 am

I couldn't decide if this would be more appropriate here or in "laws and legal issues." I finally decided that since that forum is mainly about passed or pending legislation this is an issue concerning the CDC, I'll raise it here.

The CDC has had a blanket ban on the importation of African rodents since 2003.
The order Rodentia has six suborders; the suborder Anomaluromorpha is found only in Africa.
Anomaluromorpha contains two species of springhare and the seven species of anomalures in three genera.
The springhare is neat and quite distinctive-looking. Same goes for each genus of anomalure.
AFAIK, there are no springhares in private hands in the United States, and no anamalures in the US at all.

The CDC ban also extended to prairie dogs, but that was later lifted. Does anyone think that there's any chance of the CDC eventually relaxing the ban on African rodents?

I've been fantasizing about getting a USDA exhibitor's permit and importation permit, locating exporters in the relevant countries, and importing a dozen or so of one species from each taxon. Rodents seem to do well with relatively small genetic pools, so four males and eight females of each species seems like it should be more than sufficient to create a viable captive population.

However I suspect that telling the CDC "I want to import a bunch of these rodents. Even though I only need one of each for my exhibition, I want to establish a viable population in the United States," would sound suspiciously like importing them for commercial purposes.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Anomaluromorpha and the CDC

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 20, 2015 3:15 pm

There were springhas in private hands before the ban. They died out because they do not breed well. And then when they do breed they only have one huge baby at a time.

Since the reason the CDC banned their import was disease risk I can't see them ever changing the ban. Though you'd think they might at least exempt ones born in captivity since it would be an extremely low risk.
TexasYankee

Postby TexasYankee » Wed May 20, 2015 4:07 pm

Interesting. I wonder if the South Africans with springhares on YouTube take them from the wild then?

The CDC claims that they will not allow captive-born individuals from other countries because checking whether papers were falsified would be too much work for them. So perhaps if they get more funding?

I find it odd that they can't allow quarantine and testing, and charge the importer. Presumably that's what they do with animals imported for scientific, educational, and zoological purposes, isn't it?
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 20, 2015 4:59 pm

Yeah seems too strict but seems like CDC doesn't have to do much to justify themselves. Springhaas don't even carry monkey pox(the reason for the ban) and it's not that serious a disease anyway. They are one I used to be interested in myself but they seem impossible now.

Rzu2U used to breed springhass but don't breed anything any more that I know of. Maybe they would have some info though if they still check their email.
http://www.treasureranch.com/rzu2u.html

Here's an old info page from another breeder, old but the most recently updated one, like 2010 maybe. It outlines some of the difficulty with breeding them. If you're really determined though there's a slim chance they might know someone still breeding. It's a good read at the least if it's a page you've not seen yet.
http://rainyeeyore.home.comcast.net/~rainyeeyore/

Kangaroo Conservation Center and mammal's inc. used to breed them but they don't exist any more.

I remember chasingtail trying to get one but couldn't. Really if she couldn't it probably can't be done. They are all either gone now or too old to breed.
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Wed May 20, 2015 5:17 pm

Oh gosh my friend bought this place, it comes with one male Springhass. I'll have to bug her for some photos once she's not insanely busy moving.
http://noahslanding2x2.com/ZooPacket.pdf
northfish

Postby northfish » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:06 pm

So the US banns all African rodents from import then??
I was trying to find out if i could ship dormice down there as I have people wanting them, but was not sure what authority it was that regulated there import.

I wish I could get springhaas as well!! but they would not fit in the shipping crates, neither would the pair of greater jerboas thanks to their legs:-( lol, plus way to pricey for the Haas! though less then the ones down there in the states.
There are some down there though, I know of a pair that was imported last year and I was offered it, but they were crazy expensive!

Return to “RODENTS”