PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Rat care blog for new rat owners!

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

Kaltiaem

Rat care blog for new rat owners!

Postby Kaltiaem » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:55 am

http://ratresource.tumblr.com

Hopefully these can be posted here. I'm an experienced rat owner and I finally got this blog up and running. Its a great place to start for those who want to learn about rat care :)
pat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rat care blog for new rat owners!

Postby pat » Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:48 pm

welcome to sybils den.

thats fine with your link. we do have some rat owners here.
I am sure they will appreciate your info. we can never have enough animal info.

thanks again for joining us.
Pat (Sybil and Benny's Mom)

http://sybilsden.com Sybils Den
Kaltiaem

Postby Kaltiaem » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:24 pm

Fantastic! I didn't see anything about it but I'm always a little leery on new sites.
Thank you very much for the warm welcome. I'm crazy for exotic animals so I'm very excited to have found this site :) Now it's time to get reading!
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:08 pm

I will have to check that out. :)

My sisters and I had 5 pet rats when we were younger. Two black and white, two grays, and one buff-colored one. All females, all sisters. They were the coolest pets we had growing up and were very affectionate. We loved them lots.

This week I'm getting a breeding trio of ratties. They will start my feeder breeding op, but I will still love and enjoy them. (Hope it doesn't bother you that I have animals that eat rats too; but I never live-feed.) So I'm super excited to own rats again. Even though their offspring will be feeders, I want them all to be really happy and always have good enrichment. I've already thought of several ideas for enrichment, but I'll check out your blog and see if you have any other good tips. :)

Welcome! There are quite a few of us who love ratties, lol.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Kaltiaem

Postby Kaltiaem » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:35 pm

Haha first of all, it doesn't bother me in the least that you have feeder rats! I myself am dying to have a snake some day... Looking into a ball python this summer if I can find the space.
I love rats but I've had some bad experiences with them and I no longer have any. I had three sisters but they were returned to the shelter I got them from as they became highly aggressive. It was upsetting :/ not only were they getting me (which wouldn't bother me usually) but they would get my dog through the cage bars too which was the line for me... My dog is my baby
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:38 pm

You'll love ball pythons! They're like dumb puppy dogs in small, skinny bodies, lol. And once you get one, the addiction will set in, and you'll have to get more, haha.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it would bug you or not that I was getting some to raise for feeders. Some people it really bothers, so sort of taboo to mention.

I found someone up near where I work who I'm wanting to buy a trio from. I asked if he had any young females and an "experienced" male, lol. So we'll see what happens. I can definitely see myself getting attached to the breeders though--so they may wind up being pets. :)
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
Kaltiaem

Postby Kaltiaem » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:16 am

So I've heard! They have such cute little faces. I was never a fan of snakes but I took a trip to Venice beach in 2013 and one of the vendors had a 7' boa (I think) named Athena. I held her and from there I was in love haha.

Nah feeders don't bother me. Never did actually, even when I didn't like snakes. The snakes gotta eat too o: it's the people that purposely make the fuzzy ones suffer that I don't like.
Good luck with your feeders! I can see myself getting attached too LOL
Ana

Postby Ana » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:43 pm

Rats have always been my personal favorite of all animals. Everything about them leaves
me helpless. My boys lived at my writing desk in a big crazy enclosure we built them. They
knew their names, had favorite toys, would do tricks and play games. They were the lilac
coloration the stores call 'Russian Blue'. Their deaths were so devastating I could never
invest myself again so deeply in someone who could only stay a few short years ... but
they'll always be the perfect companion animal in my mind. I've noticed that people who
dislike rats seems to almost universally be frightened by their tails?? Has anyone else
encountered this weird fear from people? I can't begin to fathom what it is about their
tails that would unsettle a person! :lol: it's probably an evolutionary thing, who knows. It
was great to see the rat recently exonerated by the media in regard to that whole 'bubonic
plague' thing (it was fleas! Filthy disgusting fleas!). :lol: It was something science had
been aware of a long time, but the word hadn't had the opportunity to spread through
the lay populous.

Glad you're here, make sure to share pics of your babies! :-)
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:43 pm

Ana- I haven't personally known someone with an issue with rat tails. I do see the fact mentioned a lot in books, websites, newsletters, etc. so it must be fairly common. I know it is said for those people to get the smallest (youngest) rat possible (small tail) and by the time it grows up to have a 'big ugly rat tail' you'll already love your pet and not notice.

Maybe those people think worms are creepy and the tail reminds them of a worm?
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby TamanduaGirl » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:07 am

Ana wrote: It was great to see the rat recently exonerated by the media in regard to that whole 'bubonic
plague' thing (it was fleas! Filthy disgusting fleas!). :lol: It was something science had
been aware of a long time, but the word hadn't had the opportunity to spread through
the lay populous.

The old theory was that it was fleas from the rats but they now know it was airborne in the case of the black plague. It was also a suspected theory for awhile but they found remains that prove it. Though normal bubonic plague is spread to humans from rodents(usually squirrels at least on the west coast) to humans via fleas but it's not really the fault of either fleas or rodents(yeah people still get it but it's not wide spread because its fleas and not air borne like the black plague was).
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:26 am

TamanduaGirl wrote:
Ana wrote: It was great to see the rat recently exonerated by the media in regard to that whole 'bubonic
the lay populous.

The old theory was that it was fleas from the rats but they now know it was airborne in the case of the black plague. It was also a suspected theory for awhile but they found remains that prove it. Though normal bubonic plague is spread to humans from rodents(usually squirrels at least on the west coast) to humans via fleas but it's not really the fault of either fleas or rodents(yeah people still get it but it's not wide spread because its fleas and not air borne like the black plague was).

Just a short clarification for anyone confused about rodents/fleas and plague. The Black Death was pneumonic plague, not bubonic as originally thought. Bubonic infects through the skin by insect (fleas usually) and pneumonic is airborn, infecting the lungs first.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Juska

Postby Juska » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:49 am

I've heard the "tail" thing a lot from people. Seriously, it's a tail. Get over it. The tail isn't going to bite you.
Pet parent of Emo the border collie mix, Conte the schnoodle and Namira the harlequin cat!
Kaltiaem

Postby Kaltiaem » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:26 am

My aunt doesn't like the tails because they remind her of snakes. Lol.
Unfortunately I no longer have rats. I adopted three little ones from a local shelter but ended up returning them as they had become inexplicably aggressive. I work two jobs and put a lot of my spare time into training my service dog so I just couldn't handle the extra stress of being viciously attacked by my own pets x____x
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:33 pm

I have my breeder rats, and they are very cute. :) I got three young females and two slightly older males. I'm having issues with the irrigation system in the rack, so I've been giving them their water in bowls for now.

I've heard people being scared about the tails a lot of times. They think hamsters are fine--but a rat? Forget it--it has a long "naked" tail that freaks people out.

Return to “RODENTS”