PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Any exotic rodent owners here?

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

FallDeere

Any exotic rodent owners here?

Postby FallDeere » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:10 am

I haven't seen much talk of exotic rodents such as Prairie Dogs, Squirrels, Flying Squirrels, Capybaras, Maras, etc. Does anyone here own any or have experience with some rodents that are not typical pets?

As you can tell from my Avatar and Signature, I have rats. I hope to someday have multiple other types of rodents, outside the normal hamster, gerbil, mouse, etc. I did own African Soft Furs for about three weeks before they met there end by accidentally being exposed to bug spray (it wasn't sprayed inside the house, but outside the window they were under; it must have seeped in through the window or outlet or even come in on our clothes). I loved those little guys and hope to have more in the future. They were extremely fun to watch and even allowed me to hold them, which I had not expected.

My dream is to have capybaras and/or maras if I have enough land for them to have a good outdoor enclosure. I also would love to have a building separate from my house where I have indoor enclosures for as many rodents as I can care for of all different types, whether they be exotic or typical pets.

I'm a tad obsessed with rodents of all types, lol. I'm still learning, though, so I'd love to hear anyone's experiences with exotic rodents!
TamanduaGirl
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Any exotic rodent owners here?

Postby TamanduaGirl » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:16 pm

I met a mara in person once. Very friendly came right up to me and made little mugwai noises. I fell in love. Want one some day for sue.

There were a couple prairie dogs on the film I worked with Pua but they were rescues so a little neurotic from having spent too much time in their past locked in a tinny cage. They were cute though. Their little calls were cute too.
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:46 pm

I would love a prairie dog some day(: or a capybara. They're so cute icon-smile
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:14 am

My current dream is to have every type of rodent I can legally obtain and own. Something about rodents, man. I just love 'em. Everything from the biggest capybara to the smallest pygmy mouse.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have room for more than my rat and mouse cages, but once I move I want to look into Cabybaras and Maras. I think those would be so much fun to have. If I can, I'd also like to have some wild rats. There is a breeder in Texas who is breeding wild caught ship rats (black rats) and seems to be having great success, so I'd love to obtain some rats from her. I also see people breeding wild Norway rats (brown rats) from time to time, so I'd be interested in those as well. Assuming it's all legal, though. I don't know what Texas's laws are pertaining to the ownership of native wildlife. Or even if rats count under those laws. -shrug- Something I'll need to research.

I hope for all of my rodents to have huge enclosures! Maybe some aviary-like cages for the rats and squirrels. A big pen for guinea pigs and other ground dwellers. For smaller animals who burrow like mice, gerbils, and hamsters, I want to build a custom tank so they can have very deep bedding, but you can see their underground tunnels... like an ant farm! But also have some things for climbing since I see my mice LOVE to climb nearly as much as they love to dig.

So... yeah... My dreams, lol. Maybe eventually it can be a reality! There are so many exotic rodent breeders around here that acquiring a lot shouldn't be an issue. The care and keeping will be the biggest hurdle. I feel overwhelmed sometimes just with my 15 animals... and here I'm talking about having quite a few more than that!
Whisper

Postby Whisper » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:03 pm

I would love to own so many animals some day(: the thing is, if it wasn't part of my job id feel bad not paying attention to all of them.
Owner of a Red fox, magpie harlequin, and a Netherland dwarf
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:24 pm

A lot of the animals I want likely won't be extremely social towards humans, so hopefully not too many of them will WANT me to spend a lot of time with them. Aside from the normal care of cleaning and feeding, of course.

And rats shall always be my #1 love and the animals I spend the most time with. <3
Ash
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Ash » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:19 pm

I think it's really cool to hear about everybody's interests here. Some people love goats, some people love foxes, and then you love everything rodent. We've got a big variety of interests, lol. It's really cool to hear what other people are into and what they like.
3 red fox, 4 pectinata iguanas, nile monitor, BW tegu, sailfin dragon, leachie gecko, 6 snakes, 2 salamanders, 3 tarantulas
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Technically I love every single animal ever, Ash. :D Funny you should mention foxes and goats specifically though, as those are two of my very favorite animals to see and research. Sadly, foxes aren't legal here, but I may have goats eventually!

Rodents just fit my lifestyle better overall, rather than dogs, cats, or any other common pet. I actually recently got a dog and realized I am SO not a dog person... So I figure I probably wouldn't be a good fox owner either, so probably best that they aren't legal here because I wouldn't be able to stop myself from getting one... or a million... I love foxes so much!

There is just a difference between animals I love seeing/researching and animals I actually think I would be able to care for properly and enjoy when I own them myself.

At least... I hope I can handle owning rodents other than what I currently own (rats, mice, gerbils, ASFs).

I'm kinda having trouble deciding what rodent I should get next and therefore, I'm not sure which rodent I should be focusing my research on... I researched rats for a few years before getting them. I researched gerbils in the middle of researching rats (because I thought my parents wouldn't let me get rats so I was looking for alternatives). I researched mice for two years about before getting them. So I like to focus my animal research on one thing at a time for a long period of time before getting a new species, lol. I may get a hamster next, but hamsters don't appeal to me extremely much for various reasons and I feel like there isn't much else I can learn about them... Oh well.
minervasden

Postby minervasden » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:15 pm

If you are looking for similar size to what you have now, the following 3 are not too difficult to find for sale.
Pygmy mice

If you like Deer and White-footed mice(both sometimes available) how about spiny mice? Cute, active and usually friendly/tame.

Degu- I've had a number of them but I cannot really say how they are as pets. All for mine were from out of control inbreeding rescue situations. They all had size, conformation, health and temperament issues. None of mine ever tamed and most bit. Maybe someone who has gotten a well socialized one from a good breeder can comment.

Edit- Or maybe moving up to chipmunks?
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:40 pm

It will be a while before I can get anything, so i have time to decide. I have a lot to choose from! I can't get anything else until I either move or my gerbils pass away, as I don't have space for anything more yet.

I've seen the damage chipmunks can do. O.O I... will be avoiding those, and other rodents similar, for now... I'll work my way up, lol. I'm a member of an exotic rodent facebook group and one of the most recent posts regarding chipmunks was a picture of a bloody thumb.

Degus are cool, but I definitely can't get them until I move.

Until I move, if my gerbils die, I have to stick with a species that can be kept in an aquarium. I'm afraid pygmy mice might be smaller than I want for now, but someday I'll get them. I may end up just getting ASFs again as I stinkin' loved those, but I do want to try something new. Aside from Maras and Capybaras (which I can't get for a while) no rodents really appeal to me as much as mice, rats, and ASFs... so I have a lot of thinking to do.
GitaBooks

Postby GitaBooks » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:05 pm

I love exotic rodents! I'm actually collecting as much information on their care as I can. I hear that in other countries some people keep the Giant Red Flying Squirrels. They are so amazing look! Agoutis, Pacas, Chinchillas, and all sorts of jirds are also on my list.

Your plans sound awesome. Some day I hope to work with these animals, breeding them and making it easier to acquire healthy pets and breeders. I want to buy a large piece of land so they can all have large, safe enclosures and can thrive.

Best of luck with your plans! : )
Chipmom

Postby Chipmom » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:40 pm

I know this is old to reply to but I have a Siberian chipmunk
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:06 pm

Do you have any pictures to share of your chipmunk? :D

Bringing this back because I am potentially really close to being able to get Maras, but now I'm trying to decide if I should or not. And I may be forced to choose between getting Maras or goats... but I love both so much. Or if maybe I should look into some other type of outdoor animal of a similar size (no clue what that would be though).

Return to “RODENTS”