PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Rat Breeders in Virginia

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

just_curious

Rat Breeders in Virginia

Postby just_curious » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:11 am

Anyone know a good place to buy or adopt a rat from either a breeder or a shelter in Virginia? They seem to be quite scarce in this area..
minervasden

Re: Rat Breeders in Virginia

Postby minervasden » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:35 am

I do not have a referral but a suggestion. Do go (don't call) and visit any humane societies and shelters within reasonable distance. Even shelters that do not list small mammals as animals they take in do sometimes get them. They usually don't advertise them and often you will only find out about them by physically being at the shelter. Not a guarantee but as you may imagine, the adoption rate for these animals is low.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:44 am

I believe this breeder in in Virginia, though she doesn't breed much. https://www.facebook.com/Curiosity-Ratt ... /timeline/

She may have some places to recommend, though. And it looks like she posted about some rats on Petfinder recently. Maybe those are still available.
Ana

Postby Ana » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:03 am

https://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?lo ... &breed=Rat

This is a great database, and kept current. Good luck with your search!
just_curious

Postby just_curious » Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:12 pm

minervasen, that is a really great idea. I adopted a mouse from the VBSPCA a couple years back and my parents (I'm underage) had a terrible trouble trying to get the APCA to let us adopt him and a lot of paperwork was invovled but perhaps they have us in their database now...

FalldDeere, I have heard and seen her rattery on the internet as a really reliable one, so I will keep watch on her but from what I can tell as of now, she is inactive. I recently sent an email to another lady whose name was thrown around on Rat forums, but I got an email back telling me Outlook was unable to send it. :\ Perhaps her account is deactivated. I'll definitely keep an eye out for any updates from this lady though.

Ana, I used another petfinder but of course, nothing came up at all. I haven't seen this one but I am so glad you gave a link, it looks promising!

Thank you for your advice and feedback, it helped alot. If I can get lucky and find a few ratties to take home, I'll definitely remember the help! Other suggestions are encouraged though incase I'm still out of luck.. Thanks alot :D
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:24 pm

I don't think she's inactive, she just only breeds twice a year. She breeds for herself, not to meet a demand so she doesn't always sell rats even when she does have litters.

Maybe try joining some rat related facebook groups. Breeders near me are impossible to find except through facebook as they don't have websites. This group is a good starting point: https://www.facebook.com/groups/677201415692660/
just_curious

Postby just_curious » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Thanks, FallDeere. I don't have a facebook account but I might create a temporary one so I can keep myself updated. Will keep that in mind though! :D
FallDeere

Postby FallDeere » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:58 pm

You're welcome. Sadly, it seems like Facebook is the best or even only way to find rat breeders. At least in my area. Until I joined facebook, I didn't know there were more than one or two breeders even in my state and once I joined a facebook group, I realized there are probably nearly a hundred breeders within an hour of my house, lol. Not all of them are good, but hey, at least I know now.

Return to “RODENTS”