PUT EXTRA MONEY IN YOUR POCKET
https://www.ebates.com/r/SYBIL414?eeid=29041

Degu enrichment & adoption

Chinchillas, Beavers, Cavies, Caybaras, Guina Pigs,Mice, Nutria, Rats Etc.

Moderators: Ash, TamanduaGirl

17degus

Degu enrichment & adoption

Postby 17degus » Tue May 24, 2016 1:46 pm

Hey everyone

Degu enrichment; does anyone have any good Degu toy ideas? Lately my boys have been seeming a little bored, and I want to make their lives more interesting, Thanks.
Also, my two of my 'male' degus gave birth, so now we have 13 babies. We need to rehome, and I have advertised, but I want to know how to tell if a person would be a good owner? I want them to have good homes
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham
minervasden

Re: Degu enrichment & adoption

Postby minervasden » Tue May 24, 2016 4:12 pm

Some general rodent enrichment here: http://sybilsden.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=13192 There will be more ideas if you look through the other topics under the "Housing and Enrichment" forum. I believe I saw a wheel in one of your pictures, so you've got that. Do you have a sand/dust bath? Foraging (finding food) is easy there are endless ways to hide food. The easiest is scattering food around the cage and under substrate instead of using a bowl. Be sure to use materials safe for your specific pets. For example, If yours will chew on paper but not eat it than you can use some paper based enrichment. Degus love to chew/eat bark so safe chews with bark like apple twigs are good. Climbing structures that can be rearranged or switched out for another. Safe bricks or rocks for climbing (can help nail filing too).

For adoption you'll want to talk to them (potential adopters) and ask questions to check what they know and what they need more info about. Even if you do most of it by email you'll want to talk with them at least once. Ask for a picture of their cage. You could also get a vet reference if they have pets even if not degu. If you are not comfortable doing adoption questions yourself/your family maybe you can go through a rescue that would screen adopters for you.
I stay in the dark because too much light will blind you
Ana

Postby Ana » Tue May 24, 2016 6:39 pm

I've never been able to interact with Degu in person, so I not sure how different they are from rats?

My boys loved when I would make cardboard mazes, houses, play areas. They don't last long, just a few days, but it was always a fun project.

We also had a game where I'd hand a whole, unsalted peanut to one of the boys, then they'd scurry off and "hide" it. We'd do this with about 50 peanuts, at the end I'd raid the stash and leave just one peanut behind.

There was also bobbing for frozen peas in a dishpan, offering up different types of tree barks, tiny pebbles, things to touch. I also taught my boys to leap from the top of their enclosurere to my head and shoulders.

I'm the worst with trying to adopt out. It's just too much uncertainty. I've found the best hope you have for ensuring your guys are getting care is to keep the lines of communication open. Call after the adoption, see how everyone is getting on. Consider, if you can, offering a lifetime return guarantee. The adopter agrees that, should anything happen that makes the Degu unsafe or unwelcome, EVER, they return the Degu to you. This agreement helps me feel safer, knowing if something bad happens in the life of the adopter, the animal has a safe alternative place to be, immediately
17degus

Postby 17degus » Wed May 25, 2016 2:40 am

Thanks guys, they have a wheel, sandbath and some apple twigs, but we made a disc that spins, and they love it. It's like tv watching them go round and round haha. I will get some more Apple branches as the old ones have no bark left. I will try some of the ideas for playing and adoption. Much appreciated!
'Maybe life on earth could be heaven,
Doesn't just the thought of it make it worth a try?" - Bo Burnham

Return to “RODENTS”